The undermining of our Christian heritage..... - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The undermining of our Christian heritage.....

Quote Originally Posted by gestu1 View Post
    here's my 2 cents right from the good book. [b]romans 1:16 for i am not ashamed of the gospal of christ: For it is the power of god unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the jew first, and also the greek.[/b]my christian bros and sisters will understand.
    Perfectly.
    AMERICA'S EPITAPH
    Since They Did Not See Fit To Acknowledge God, He Gave Them Up To A Depraved Mind, To Do What Should Not Be Done

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    Boomboy... you are a gentleman and a scholar! That is meant to be a sincere complement as there are very few of us left.
    Come on, KN. You met me; you KNOW better!

While I understand what OnLineDad is saying, I must disagree with his suggested "freedom from religion" as far as the military or government goes. While I agree that we should not allow individual tenets to govern our actions and policies, I do not believe that we can ever completely divorce our belief systems from our governance. Fortunately for all of us, almost all religions hold the same or similar views concerning issues of morality. When it comes down to brass tacks, the "Golden Rule" (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.) is very nearly universal in the pantheon of religions. In fact, it could darn well make a fantastic set of law all by its lonesome, IMHO.

I do not believe that, simply because one joins the military, one must suspend the practice of his or her religious thought or expression for the duration of their enlistment. Simply recognizing a faith, or making small concessions (dietary requirements, holy day observances) should in no way have a detrimental effect on the military or the government. I would rather see a Christmas tree and Menorah on the local town square in December, a Star and Crescent during Eid, or even a statue of the Buddha on Vesak in May () as opposed to an empty, sterile town green where NO ONE is allowed to celebrate anything.

Come on, ANYBODIES holiday or festival is a great excuse to dig into some great food. If a few gifts are thrown in, even better! Who is going to complain about a little extra prayer being said for our men and women in harm's way?
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

I agree that a persons personal beliefs should cross over into whatever path they follow in life. And that person should be afforded the opportunity to practice their own religion, as long as it does not interfere with mission requirements (as in a military atmosphere).

And, I think that it is great to put up holiday decorations, or to have festivities for a holiday. It just goes back to the govt/state should not pay for it, nor promote it. The govt should be completely independent of all religion. The people in the govt are free to attend any of the functions/speeches/festivities/etc. We just should not pose as though our nation is comprised as a religious nation. We could say that our country is a place where everyone is free to make their own choice of religion, but our govt does not take a side.

This would prevent us getting tangled up in anymore religious based wars (like taking sides between the muslims and the israelis that have been at each other for thousands of years). We can be allies with a country, but tell them if they get involved in any kind of religious based altercation we will not step in. They will have to settle it their self.

Not only for those reasons, but for the financial reasons as well. Instead of the govt putting money toward a religious (fill in the blank) activity, they should put that money to more tangible things that will help our country, like education, health care, law enforcement, fire depts, etc... the things that will actually benefit everyone. Not just a few people that still believe that the sun only comes up if you pray to it (or insert your own religious beliefs here)

Quote Originally Posted by gestu1 View Post
    Here's my 2 cents right from the Good Book. Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospal of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also the Greek.My Christian bros and sisters will understand.
    I'm not ashamed of my Sword or my gun.
    Curt Lovelace
    Bible believing, gun toting pastor
    Acton, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post
    I agree that a persons personal beliefs should cross over into whatever path they follow in life. And that person should be afforded the opportunity to practice their own religion, as long as it does not interfere with mission requirements (as in a military atmosphere).

Instead of the govt putting money toward a religious (fill in the blank) activity, they should put that money to more tangible things that will help our country, like education, health care, law enforcement, fire depts, etc... the things that will actually benefit everyone. Not just a few people that still believe that the sun only comes up if you pray to it (or insert your own religious beliefs here)
    Obamacare will use taxpayer dollars to fund abortions and I consider that a MONSTROSITY. Because of my conservative Christian faith, I believe that abortion is murder of the preborn. IMO, the devaluation of human life is a direct result of the removal of religion from the public forum and it began with prayer being taken out of public schools.

In addition, why does the military have chaplains on the payroll...funded by taxpayers? Could it be that many of our soldiers believe in the words of Jesus, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13)?, and because of this they need to be fortified with prayer and spiritual guidance from time to time.

There are innumerable wasteful ways that our government spends taxpayers' monies. I, personally, don't believe that inviting a "man of God" to speak at the Pentagon, or any other military function, is one of them. Besides, where is the proof that this invitation to Rev. Graham is "costing the taxpayers money"? I would be willing to bet that he's paying his own way!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

7. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    In no way did I mean to cast our brave military members in a negative light. I should have picked my wording more carefully and I apologize if I offended anyone. In this particular case, I was referring to the Pentagon "brass", who ARE, whether they admit it or not, part of the political arena.

My father, my husband and my oldest son all served in the military. My father during WWII, my husband during Viet Nam and my son during Operation Desert Storm. I have great respect and admiration for the members of our military (and their families). As a former military wife, I know the sacrifices our military families and our soldiers make to keep our nation free.

Again, I apologize to anyone who was offended by my careless choice of words.
    To start, no offense taken. Many of us feel that you should NOT fear saying what you feel. Short of outright lies. You are alright in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    Obamacare will use taxpayer dollars to fund abortions and I consider that a MONSTROSITY. Because of my conservative Christian faith, I believe that abortion is murder of the preborn. IMO, the devaluation of human life is a direct result of the removal of religion from the public forum and it began with prayer being taken out of public schools.

In addition, why does the military have chaplains on the payroll...funded by taxpayers? Could it be that many of our soldiers believe in the words of Jesus, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13)?, and because of this they need to be fortified with prayer and spiritual guidance from time to time.

There are innumerable wasteful ways that our government spends taxpayers' monies. I, personally, don't believe that inviting a "man of God" to speak at the Pentagon, or any other military function, is one of them. Besides, where is the proof that this invitation to Rev. Graham is "costing the taxpayers money"? I would be willing to bet that he's paying his own way!
    And, Rev. Graham has said nothing about the Islam Religion that wasn't the truth. It's a very bad day in our country when our own military leaders are so afraid of our enemy that anyone who tells the truth about them is unwelcome.
    AMERICA'S EPITAPH
    Since They Did Not See Fit To Acknowledge God, He Gave Them Up To A Depraved Mind, To Do What Should Not Be Done

[quote=Onlinedad;129548]I agree that a persons personal beliefs should cross over into whatever path they follow in life. And that person should be afforded the opportunity to practice their own religion, as long as it does not interfere with mission requirements (as in a military atmosphere).

I agree, and that's why we shouldn't allow Muslims in the military today.

We just should not pose as though our nation is comprised as a religious nation. We could say that our country is a place where everyone is free to make their own choice of religion, but our govt does not take a side.

To bad you can't go back in time and tell that to the Founding Fathers who wrote the Constitution.

This would prevent us getting tangled up in anymore religious based wars (like taking sides between the muslims and the israelis that have been at each other for thousands of years). We can be allies with a country, but tell them if they get involved in any kind of religious based altercation we will not step in. They will have to settle it their self.

We have always taken sides with Israel because Israel is a Democracy, period. Israel does not HATE their Muslim neighbors, their Muslim neighbors HATE ISRAEL. Any "religious altercation", as you so call it, has been perpetrated upon Israel, not by Israel, over 500 times since 1948. And, Israel has been prevented numerous times from being allowed to settle anything themselves, even our government prevents this at the resent time.
    AMERICA'S EPITAPH

10. What a respectful exchange of ideas!
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    And, Rev. Graham has said nothing about the Islam Religion that wasn't the truth. It's a very bad day in our country when our own military leaders are so afraid of our enemy that anyone who tells the truth about them is unwelcome.
    Is he really afraid of our enemies or one of them?
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast