America is a Christian Nation - Page 10
Page 10 of 156 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

1. Still? There are still people here trying to claim that God is not real? Goodness. Stupid people annoy me.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Piece Corps View Post
    Hey, Hammer, could you please cite references that prove the Christian faith is shoving its beliefs down your throat. Or is it just that any time you hear a politician mention God or Jesus Christ, it pisses you off? I haven't seen nor heard of any Christian - pastor, church or individual (aside from the kooks like the Westboro Baptist Church) trying to force you to believe in anything. I haven't seen any representative claiming that those who do not believe in Jesus Christ are not welcome in the U.S.

I haven't heard anyone claiming that Christianity is the state religion, that everyone must pray to Jesus under penalty of law (or worse - try dissing Islam in Iran). I haven't seen any law that says school children have to pray (you guys won that one, didn't you?). And I haven't seen any Christian trying to shut up any other religion, especially Islam, from practicing in the U.S. I haven't seen Christians trying to shut down mosques, or temples, or trying to remove a Star of David from a building.

Quite the contrary, I have seen people like you trying to shut Christianity down by telling everyone that their faith should only be practiced in the home and in church. No outward expression of faith should be seen in public, like a creche scene in a park, or a cross on a hill in New Mexico, or a teacher praying with students who want to pray.

No, sir! If anyone should be pissed off, it is us Christians, because just about any other faith is tolerated by you people BUT Christianity. Obama takes part in a Muslim day of prayer, and all is well. But Franklin Graham wants to pray with the troops, and it's an abomination.

This country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles, and if you knew anything about American history, you'd know that. Nowhere did the Founding Fathers insist that everyone had to pray, but even the government back then supported God in almost everything they did. Now that the moral code attached to a belief in God has been quashed, we have no honesty in politics or in public, either. No accountability. No integrity. No honesty. No responsibility.

And therein lies the answer - with God there is an accountability, without Him there is none. With God there is a right and a wrong, without Him, right and wrong are personal choices. You don't like "Christianity rammed down your throat" because it holds you accountable for your actions, and even hearing the words of Christ are offensive to you. Even seeing a cross in public offends you. It's not that the United States forces anyone to believe in God or Jesus Christ, it's the fact that if anyone, especially someone in government, mentions God or Christ, it just burns you up.

Too bad that you don't care for diversity - why don't you get up in arms over CAIR and Muslim terrorist training camps in the U.S.? Why don't you slam Islam for treating women like chattle, and for "honor killings?" If there could be any religion that offends here in the U.S., it could very well be Islam. But we're P.C. in this country, and Christians make such a better target. Besides, if you say something bad about Islam, someone will try to kill you. Now there's a religion to root for, eh? But those damned Christians, with their preaching, their charities, their food kitchens, their Bible studies...boy, that just sticks in your craw.
    Now, that's hitting the nail squarely on the head.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Now, that's hitting the nail squarely on the head.
    Exactly and he didn't even have to use a HAMMER.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

6. Yes, Iceman, it is a war, but one over the hearts and minds and souls of countless people that will one day wish that we had been more persistent and loving in the spread of the gospel. I remember people used to do good for their neighbor only to turn away anything but thanks with the simple reply, it was the Christian thing to do. Shall we return to that way of life? Not very likely, but I do miss what I didn't understand when I was young as a gift from God Himself. Sometimes it is not until something is lost that you understand what it was worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska444 View Post
    Yes, Iceman, it is a war, but one over the hearts and minds and souls of countless people that will one day wish that we had been more persistent and loving in the spread of the gospel. I remember people used to do good for their neighbor only to turn away anything but thanks with the simple reply, it was the Christian thing to do. Shall we return to that way of life? Not very likely, but I do miss what I didn't understand when I was young as a gift from God Himself. Sometimes it is not until something is lost that you understand what it was worth.

Amen, you never know what you have, until you lose it.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska444 View Post
    It provided me as a child in the 1960's the freedom to be without parental protection when out playing all day long, yet still remain safe. Are your kids safe today in this pagan nation? Do they enjoy the freedom that I enjoyed as a child and my mother and father before me in their generation?
    I wondered if you'd have the audacity to start claiming U.S. national accomplishments in the name of Christianity. Good for you.

FWIW, my children roam freely in our neighboorhood at will any time of the day or night. I'm sure just as many people as ever can claim this as well. It is unfortunate you live in fear, but that is your responsibility and yours alone. Please don't project your shortcoming in this area on me.

Your lame attempt at emphasizing the "fear" portion of the FUD routine has failed.

wow... so many different directions to go here... I guess in an attempt to get this train wreck back on track I will give my thoughts on religion. And then you may understand my point of view towards the original post of is this america a christian nation.

Religions require beliefs that are irrational, un-scientific, or unreasonable.

Here are some examples:
    Religions often posit facts that are contradicted by scientific evidence (e.g. evolution, origin of the universe, miracles)
    Religions often require behaviors that are not sensible (e.g. Old Testament prohibition against wearing garments of mixed fabrics, or punishing children of guilty parents)
    Religions are not distinguishable from fairy tales or superstitions (such as astrology or Santa Claus)
    Religions cannot adapt to a changing world and their teachings are outdated in comparison with modern morals, or scientific evidence.

There are a multiplicity of religions that claim to be the one true faith, such as Roman Catholicism, Mormonism, or Evangelical Christianity. Logic dictates that if two or more religions claim to be the only valid faith, then claims of all but one of those religions must be wrong. So what makes yours the right one?

With certain exceptions, such as Raëlism, Mormonism, Scientology, and the Bahá'í Faith, most religions were formulated at a time when the origin of life, the workings of the body, and the nature of the stars and planets were poorly understood. Religious systems attempted to address significant personal emotional issues, and tried to explain a frightening existence, usually through a dramatic narrative outlining how the world and their community came to be. And then persecuted those that did not believe.

Karl Marx said "religion is a tool utilized by the ruling classes whereby the masses can shortly relieve their suffering via the act of experiencing religious emotions. It is in the interest of the ruling classes to instill in the masses the religious conviction that their current suffering will lead to eventual happiness. Therefore as long as the public believes in religion, they will not attempt to make any genuine effort to understand and overcome the real source of their suffering" An interesting thought, Gov'ts using religion to control people you never see that...

How about how religions start their brain washing of children:
    Terrorized by threats of punishment, such as eternal damnation in a fiery hell (in fact Alaska, your preaching almost gave me enough of a flashback to send me screaming back into the clutches of blind faith... almost)
    Extreme guilt about normal, healthy sexual functions
    Trained to disrespect science and reason
    Indoctrinated into a particular religious faith, thus depriving the child of the opportunity to make their own free inquiry later, when they are mature

Steven Weinberg said "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Imagine if there was no religion, imagine all of the sensless killings and wars that could have been prevented, 9/11 never would have happened. Of course your response to this will be something like only the religious fanatics are the problem everyone else is just a peaceful bunch that only go around preaching ...but, even religion in moderation provides a a foundation for fanatical groups to thrive.

Shall I continue, or do you get the idea?

Alaska: Although I do believe in the stratagy of you must know your enemy.. I think my 18ish years that I was forced into the christian religion was more than enough for me. And up until the end I thought I was a true believer with the blind faith... looking back I still saw no real evidence to support it. If I didn't have a devine intervention such as yours (real or self inflicted) in that time frame... well you get the idea

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    I wondered if you'd have the audacity to start claiming U.S. national accomplishments in the name of Christianity. Good for you.

FWIW, my children roam freely in our neighboorhood at will any time of the day or night. I'm sure just as many people as ever can claim this as well. It is unfortunate you live in fear, but that is your responsibility and yours alone. Please don't project your shortcoming in this area on me.

Your lame attempt at emphasizing the "fear" portion of the FUD routine has failed.
    +1

I to have no problem letting my kids out. But then again I did the research, and made the sacrifices necessary to ensure that I am raising them in a safe place, not some inner city ghetto, that christianity has accomplished.

OK, to sum it all up....America is a Christian nation.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Page 10 of 156 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast