America is a Christian Nation - Page 104
Page 104 of 156 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1554

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

1. ‘I Won’t Let You Drown’
    On a recent Sunday morning in my father’s hometown of Charlotte, N.C., a group of atheists gathered for their first Sunday Assembly, what they are proudly calling a “godless congregation.” They plan to meet regularly, one of more than 60 similar Sunday Assembly groups who have organized in cities around the country as well as internationally. At the Charlotte group’s inaugural event, they played John Lennon’s song “Imagine” as their theme. The lyrics begin with the words, “Imagine there’s no heaven …”

Instead of the peace, harmony, and love that Lennon envisioned in his song, what I imagine—in fact, what I know from God’s Word—is that a world without Heaven, without God, is a nightmare filled with wickedness, torment, and eventually eternal punishment. Lennon’s dream of utopia is really a vision of Hell.

Friends, we are surrounded by people every day who are destined for eternity separated from God. They are living “separated from Christ, … having no hope and without God in the world” (Ephesians 2:12, ESV). “They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might” (2 Thessalonians 1:9). We must sound the warning. We must reach them with the hope of Heaven, before it’s too late.

Think about how little hope there is in our world today. In Iraq, under ISIS, there is not much hope. In West Africa, living under Ebola, people are losing hope. Here in the U.S., under widespread drug and alcohol abuse, depression, chronic unemployment, violent crime, and the downward moral spiral, hope seems elusive.

The ultimate hope is to know that our sins are forgiven, that one day we will be in the presence of God for eternity. There is no greater hope regardless of what happens on earth.

When Jesus met the rich young ruler, the man asked, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” (Luke 18:18). That is still the question on the lips of millions of human beings. How can anyone face eternity with no hope? Jesus Christ is the only hope—no one else can take away our sins. Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).
    Billy Graham: ?I Won?t Let You Drown? | Story | BGEA
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    Read that book (or any of a number of recent ones). It's cheap. It's also a fast read if you don't move your lips or slide your finger under each word while you read. As to what you supposedly learned in college, ancient histories once taken for granted have been the subject of intense scrutiny as to legitimacy for many years. (Same with music, and much what was accepted thirty years ago as having clearly been written by Bach or Haydn, wasn't).
    Why...why like that. Smart guy

sinful nature is always hostile to God....

I haven't read the book nosreme referenced yet but did give a cursory glance to the author. David Fitzgerald was originally a member of the Committee for the Scientific Examination of Religion. From there he went on to serve on the boards of the San Francisco Atheists and San Francisco branch of the Center for Inquiry. Given that the man is an atheist, I would not have expected anything other than his dismissal of there having been a living, breathing Jesus, Son of the Ever Living God. To say that God exists would be refuting the belief of all atheists. I'm sorry but his credentials for investigating the existence of God are sorely lacking and nothing I would bet my soul on. It is amazing to me that Fitzgerald and other such pseudo-scientists are denying God while others of purely scientific bent are becoming aware that God is real and are attesting to that fact. Oh well, doesn't matter, we will all find out soon enough!
    Attachment 12821

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Oh well, doesn't matter, we will all find out soon enough!
    Or not, for when the body fails and oxygen ceases to reach the brain, all that we are ceases to exist. All that remains is the carcass that hosted our conscinsious, and our memory by those still living.

We will probably know it's imminent, and beyond that ............ nothing. There will be no realization of anything. Granted, for many not comforting, just the reality. And I see the desperation to believe otherwise, but reason and logic say it is just wishful thinking. And no reunion with long dead loved ones.

And from a more tongue in cheek view, what about the person that dies to be reunited with the abusive parent that beat them daily, or the ex-spouse that they absolutely despise. What a wonderful reunion Like the high school reunion or a family reunion, they are all there, the wheat with the chaff.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    what about the person that dies to be reunited with the abusive parent that beat them daily, or the ex-spouse that they absolutely despise. What a wonderful reunion Like the high school reunion or a family reunion, they are all there, the wheat with the chaff.
    WOW! That is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmhood View Post
    WOW! That is different.

Hadn't thought of that possibility had you?

We all probably know someone that would consider reuniting with an ex-spouse or family member to be the last person they would every want to be reunited with, and this time for eternity. Unintended consequences of buying into a concept without thinking it through.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.

8. Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Unintended consequences of buying into a concept without thinking it through.
    Do you spend this much time attacking Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy?
    Or is it just God that you have a problem with?
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Hadn't thought of that possibility had you?

We all probably know someone that would consider reuniting with an ex-spouse or family member to be the last person they would every want to be reunited with, and this time for eternity. Unintended consequences of buying into a concept without thinking it through.
    No I realized you were most likely describing your horrific earlier life circumstances and now you are running from God. He loves you...and wants to be with you even damaged more than lost. I pray you would come home and recieve His blessing. XD there is no real honor or future in belittling believers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan45 View Post
    Do you spend this much time attacking Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy?
    Or is it just God that you have a problem with?
    Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc., do not pose the threat to freedoms and mankind's future that followers of imaginary god(s) do. So that would be a no, I am only concerned about actual threats.

(Note: before someone jumps all over that I must believe in god(s) because I said actual threats, that reference is reserved solely to the followers.)

Attachment 12826

Quote Originally Posted by Farmhood View Post
    No I realized you were most likely describing your horrific earlier life circumstances and now you are running from God. He loves you...and wants to be with you even damaged more than lost. I pray you would come home and recieve His blessing. XD there is no real honor or future in belittling believers.

No, it is not based on anything in my life, as you so desperately wish, but I do know several people that would fit that description. And I suspect you might also, even if you are not aware. A good friend, in his 50's still has restraining orders in force against his parents. No, there would be no joy in that reunion. Another friend ended up in a divorce where threats and restraining orders where common, and some very ugly sessions in court over virtually everything, including the kids.

Sorry you don't get to brand me as damaged because I think, and that I can see the unintended consequences of basing one's life on a child's fairy tale. There is no happily ever after.

I am not belittling followers, but I do challenge you to think, not about fairy tales and what you have been thought, but to challenge those with rational thought based on real life.

Answer this:
    Do you think this woman wants to be reunited with her abuser, forever and ever and ever?
    Attachment 12827

I have also known a christian (his words) that believe the woman is subservient to the man, and that the woman above probably disobeyed and deserved it.