America is a Christian Nation - Page 116
Page 116 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1554

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    Wrong on so many levels. Hobby Lobby had no problem with birth control. Their medical coverage provided birth control. Morning after pills are not birth control, they are an "oops I forgot to use birth control" pill. Simple without even being scientific about it. Abortion on the other hand IS a religious issue, as well as a moral issue and a medical issue. You want to talk about hypocrisy, then explain how if stealing my guns can save one child it is worth it, but the same does not apply to abortion?
    Or I forgot my gun and was raped. Religion, through laws, wants to further victimizing that woman by forcing her to carry a rapists spawn to term.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

I never claimed to be perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using USA Carry mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by GryHounnd View Post
    If separation of church and state is not guaranteed, then conservatives should have no problem with birth control being required for all Obamacare health plans. After all, religious objections shouldn't have any bearing, separation of church and state are not guarnteed. You can't have it both ways. You either support Congress not making laws that impact your religious beliefs, or you don't.
    Check the topic. Separation of church and state is written nowhere. Not in any federal document. Not in the Constitution. Not in the Bill of Rights. This term was coined by Thomas Jefferson in 1803, long after our founding. Jefferson wrote a letter to the Danbury Baptists who were fearful government would curtail their religious practices. Exactly what he meant was that government shall make no law abolishing a religion or forcing others to comply or with any religion or religious views in conflict with their belief. What Jefferson meant was that the Bill of Rights protected the free exercise of religion. EQUALLY! Exactly the core of the Hobby-Lobby case. However, separation of church and state was never part of American law, the constitution or bill of rights. There is no "guarantee" of separation of church and state. There is only a 1st amendment provision that the state will not recognize any religious practice over another or force any person to act contrary to his/her religious belief.
    When you see a Christmas nativity at a government building they are not violating your constitutional rights. They are not favoring one view over another as long as they allow a Muslim display, a Jewish display, a Kwanza display, Hindu, etc. Such would include an atheist display... which would be an empty spot for the religion of null. But don't think for a minute that the constitution requires the atheist or agnostic religious beliefs take precedent over any other established form of religion... including voodoo. THAT, would mean the government is forcing a religion of null on believers. And atheism IS a religion. Here's the test. If I chose not to hire you or fired you because you were an atheist, how long would it take you to sue me under the RELIGIOUS protections of the U.S. Civil Rights Act f 1964? Same damn thing.
    This could all be cleared-up by codifying a definition of God into federal law as being "any higher power, religious figure, being, any belief or nature itself." At that point an atheist can say he doesn't believe in nature but... there ends the argument for them. You don't believe in God? Good for you. But why not just go for a beer when "God Bless America" is played during the seventh-inning stretch. Oh God, woe is me... my virgin ears heard something religious and I can't handle it! The law must change so I don' hear such things! Cry-baby pains in the ass. There's more problems in this world that need attention.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by GryHounnd View Post
    So what? Your mother didn't teach you basic politeness. She didn't teach you not to use that word?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

6. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Check the topic. Separation of church and state is written nowhere. Not in any federal document. Not in the Constitution. Not in the Bill of Rights. This term was coined by Thomas Jefferson in 1803, long after our founding. Jefferson wrote a letter to the Danbury Baptists who were fearful government would curtail their religious practices. Exactly what he meant was that government shall make no law abolishing a religion or forcing others to comply or with any religion or religious views in conflict with their belief. What Jefferson meant was that the Bill of Rights protected the free exercise of religion. EQUALLY! Exactly the core of the Hobby-Lobby case. However, separation of church and state was never part of American law, the constitution or bill of rights. There is no "guarantee" of separation of church and state. There is only a 1st amendment provision that the state will not recognize any religious practice over another or force any person to act contrary to his/her religious belief...
    No matter how often this guy is reminded that the above is flat out wrong (especially the grossly incorrect "separation of church and state" verbiage he likes to indulge in), he regurgitates it endlessly. He's a good example of how so many conspicuous christians see nothing wrong with endlessly repeating what they know to be big lies, no doubt on the theory even if it "resonates" with one sucker out there, it's worth it. Lying and misrepresenting for Jesus keeps lots of people busy (and lots of people employed).

Nobrains,
    I cited the damn thing as a doctrine not a freakin right. Some people can't read. Doctrines at best are guidelines not guarantees. Dumba$$

BC

I was absent the week they taught manners.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Or I forgot my gun and was raped. Religion, through laws, wants to further victimizing that woman by forcing her to carry a rapists spawn to term.
    Wrong again, Hobby Lobby et.al. did not want to be the instrument of that abortion. Big difference. Has there been one report of them or any company taking action against an employee that got an abortion? It is the same with gay marriage, none of the Christians on the receiving end of the lawsuits has said they wished ill on the gays, or wanted to change their minds by preaching to them. They just did not want to be forced by the government to be an active participant in what they believe is wrong. Try to spin it how you want, the issue is the government knowing what is best for you, so you shut up and provide those abortion pills, perform that gay wedding ceremony, bake that gay wedding cake etc.
    Chief

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    Debray, please pay attention or you look like a dork. You have just answered a question about the Constitution with quotes from the Declaration of Independence. Your other part about what he said to or wrote for Ezra Stiles would be pertinent, if you added a link so we could trust that source. I have never seen that before, hence I don't necessarily believe it just because you put dates and quotation marks there.
    When you discuss the Constitution and its relevance to the intentions and Faith of the Founders it includes the Declaration of Independence, without one there couldn’t be the other.
    As Alexander Hamilton said, “The Declaration of Independence was the promise; the Constitution was the fulfillment”.

It doesn't bother me when someone calls me a dork it gives me insight to the mentality of the individual I dealing with.

It also brings to mind the words of a College Professor and very good friend of mine.
    “I no longer find them worth arguing with, because they violate every rule of argumentation and debate. To name a few, and only a few, they make irrelevant arguments, they often use invective (simple name-calling, i.e. "dork"), they resort to ad hominem attacks (attacking the person, not the point), they use straw-man arguments (arguments against things you haven't even said), and the list goes on and on. They seem to think they're intellectuals, but their arguments are silly. They argue with you over the trees, but don't comprehend the forest they're in”.

Franklin's early commitments to Deism did not last long, like many with age, comes wisdom and the closer you get to meeting your maker the better your understanding of God thus the letter to Ezra Stiles 6 weeks before his death.

I wish you and yours a blessed Thanksgiving

Chuck
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

11. The things you learn from the conspicuous (i.e., obnoxiously narcissistic) religious nuts here are just amazing. We've already been told that the Bible is a valid history book as well as a definitive science book--not to mention a compilation of astoundingly accurate prophecies. And of course, we've been enlightened about how evolution is just a hypothesis, that the earth was created only about 6000 years ago with humans and dinosaurs coexisting, and that the Establishment Clause's purpose is to keep government out of religion but not the reverse. Now we learn that the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence are one and the same! Fortunately, the ranting religious kooks here aren't representative of the greater community of religious people in this forum and in general society.