America is a Christian Nation - Page 117
Page 117 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1554

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

Blog Entries

BC

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    It is just a statement of which measure was used, no different than the tag in you shoes that specifies the size by country, simply to eliminate confusion between the different methods of measure, be it shoe size or date.
    So why do they use BC? Before Christ?
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    The things you learn from the conspicuous (i.e., pathologically narcissistic) religious nuts here are just amazing. We've already been told (many, may times) that the Bible is a history book as well as a science book--not to mention a compilation of astoundingly accurate prophecies. Now we learn that the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence are one and the same! Fortunately, the religious ranters here aren't representative of religious people in general in this forum or in general society.
    The Professor is right. "they make irrelevant arguments, they often use invective (simple name-calling, i.e. "dork"), they resort to ad hominem attacks (attacking the person, not the point)"
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

4. "Criticizing the point but not the person" applies when the "point" is a rational one, i.e., can stand alone irrespective of who said it. When it's not, the "point" reflects directly back to the source.

Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    No matter how often this guy is reminded that the above is flat out wrong (especially the grossly incorrect "separation of church and state" verbiage he likes to indulge in), he regurgitates it endlessly. He's a good example of how so many conspicuous christians see nothing wrong with endlessly repeating what they know to be big lies, no doubt on the theory even if it "resonates" with one sucker out there, it's worth it. Lying and misrepresenting for Jesus keeps lots of people busy (and lots of people employed).
    Here's the letter from Jefferson. Refute it. You'll have to dig him up to argue. Your argument is with him not me. During the interim, and until you can dig him up, please cite anywhere in the law where this term is used.
    To messers. Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson, a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.
    Gentlemen
    The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, & in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.
    Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.
    I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.
    Th Jefferson
    Jan. 1. 1802.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    Trumped Don't give them any ideas. They'll want BC removed from every reference. Meanwhile I expect the atheists to be on-time for work December 25th. It's not a holiday.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    Wrong again, Hobby Lobby et.al. did not want to be the instrument of that abortion. Big difference. Has there been one report of them or any company taking action against an employee that got an abortion? It is the same with gay marriage, none of the Christians on the receiving end of the lawsuits has said they wished ill on the gays, or wanted to change their minds by preaching to them. They just did not want to be forced by the government to be an active participant in what they believe is wrong. Try to spin it how you want, the issue is the government knowing what is best for you, so you shut up and provide those abortion pills, perform that gay wedding ceremony, bake that gay wedding cake etc.
    Hobby Lobby is just the tip of the iceberg. There are attempts to introduce bills in states houses and in the US congress by fundy christians to ban abortion in all cases, including rape and life of the mother. HL's choice is just another chink in eroding the rights of women to make decisions about their body. No different than the constant attempt to erode 2A rights, a little bit at a time.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by GryHounnd View Post
    BC

I was absent the week they taught manners.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using USA Carry mobile app
    Then you understand without manners your position is not tenable? NO? You have manners at work? In school? In my world people without manners went to the unemployment office. Manners are the foundation of good discussion, good business and good intentions. Those without them are out. I expect you to report for work on Christmas.
    Earlier I asked a question that you should think about... if I fire you for being an atheist or make you wok on Christmas will you sue me under the religious protections of the U.S. Civil Rights Act? The ultimate hypocrisy? And in doing so wouldn't that classify your beliefs as religious and subject to protection? A religion of null?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    The labels BC and AD were added in 525 by Dionysius Exiguus, who used them to compute the date of Easter, a christianity motivated change.

There has been a lot of back dating from our current Gregorian calendar, a variation of the Julian calendar. The Julian calendar, introduced by Julius Ceasar, in the year 708 AUC ("from the founding of the City (Rome))". As a reference, that would be 45 BC using our current calendar.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Trumped Don't give them any ideas. They'll want BC removed from every reference. Meanwhile I expect the atheists to be on-time for work December 25th. It's not a holiday.
    Nope, fable is not a trump card.

11. I have no problem whatever with BC and AD. Notwithstanding what they technically stand for, they long ago passed into common secular usage. I think the notion that we should replace them with "BCE" and "CE," respectively because of all the non-christians in the world is pedantic, contrived, politically correct nonsense.