America is a Christian Nation - Page 118
Page 118 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1554

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Then you understand without manners your position is not tenable? NO? You have manners at work? In school? In my world people without manners went to the unemployment office. Manners are the foundation of good discussion, good business and good intentions. Those without them are out. I expect you to report for work on Christmas.
    Earlier I asked a question that you should think about... if I fire you for being an atheist or make you wok on Christmas will you sue me under the religious protections of the U.S. Civil Rights Act? The ultimate hypocrisy? And in doing so wouldn't that classify your beliefs as religious and subject to protection? A religion of null?
    As someone said on another thread:
    "Reminds of those who say we've insulted them or angered them. We did nothing. They chose to feel insulted. Free will. I'm just not up on the PC world not My friend's son always reminds us. Finally we all told him to grow a pair and get lost. Trouble with society today is they're way too sensitive."

You argue for manners and tell me my position is untenable, yet you seem to have no problem when others who don't agree with you are insulted because they have "chosen" to be insulted, its not your fault. If I choose to use profanity, it is to add emphasis to a point. The f word or any other profanity is not every other word off my keyboard. You're right manners are the basis for a civilized discussion. Sometimes, discussions lose their civility, sometimes profanity is the tool that is needed to get a point across. This is not work, this is an online forum, not school, and you are not my employer. I will be glad to have civilized discussions on this forum, however, as my point of view seems to be in the minority in this forum, I seem to find myself on the receiving end of uncivilized remarks more often than not. So if I give back from time to time, those who choose to be offended can deal.

As to your question about being forced to wok on Christmas because I am an atheist and refuse? I don't know, it would depend on a number of factors. Is there a holiday pay differential? Are you singling me out because I'm atheist? Do I have family? Did you ask if I celebrated the secular side of christmas? Christmas is a holiday that has many meanings in our society. But when you boil it all down, I don't know that you firing me for refusing to work on Christmas would be a first amendment right so much as it would be a 14th amendment issue, which unless I'm mistaken is where the U.S. Civil Rights Act draws most of its authority. People must be treated equally whether they worship multiple gods, the Judeo-Christian God, or No God at all. It is a question of fairness, not what I worship, which is as much the reason we have a constitution as any other, it is our guarantee of "fair treatment" even if that is not always done in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    When you discuss the Constitution and its relevance to the intentions and Faith of the Founders it includes the Declaration of Independence, without one there couldn’t be the other.
    As Alexander Hamilton said, “The Declaration of Independence was the promise; the Constitution was the fulfillment”.

It doesn't bother me when someone calls me a dork it gives me insight to the mentality of the individual I dealing with.

It also brings to mind the words of a College Professor and very good friend of mine.
    “I no longer find them worth arguing with, because they violate every rule of argumentation and debate. To name a few, and only a few, they make irrelevant arguments, they often use invective (simple name-calling, i.e. "dork"), they resort to ad hominem attacks (attacking the person, not the point), they use straw-man arguments (arguments against things you haven't even said), and the list goes on and on. They seem to think they're intellectuals, but their arguments are silly. They argue with you over the trees, but don't comprehend the forest they're in”.

Franklin's early commitments to Deism did not last long, like many with age, comes wisdom and the closer you get to meeting your maker the better your understanding of God thus the letter to Ezra Stiles 6 weeks before his death.

I wish you and yours a blessed Thanksgiving

Chuck
    If you choose to wear the dork label, so be it. My comment was that it makes you look like one. The question posed was specifically "The Constitution" because the person that posed the question already knew the answer, and was ready to start an argument when anyone said different. Though his argument was flawed, he probably read it somewhere and thought it was cool.
    You have a good Thanksgiving as well.
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by GryHounnd View Post
    As someone said on another thread:
    "Reminds of those who say we've insulted them or angered them. We did nothing. They chose to feel insulted. Free will. I'm just not up on the PC world not My friend's son always reminds us. Finally we all told him to grow a pair and get lost. Trouble with society today is they're way too sensitive."

You argue for manners and tell me my position is untenable, yet you seem to have no problem when others who don't agree with you are insulted because they have "chosen" to be insulted, its not your fault. If I choose to use profanity, it is to add emphasis to a point. The f word or any other profanity is not every other word off my keyboard. You're right manners are the basis for a civilized discussion. Sometimes, discussions lose their civility, sometimes profanity is the tool that is needed to get a point across. This is not work, this is an online forum, not school, and you are not my employer. I will be glad to have civilized discussions on this forum, however, as my point of view seems to be in the minority in this forum, I seem to find myself on the receiving end of uncivilized remarks more often than not. So if I give back from time to time, those who choose to be offended can deal.

As to your question about being forced to wok on Christmas because I am an atheist and refuse? I don't know, it would depend on a number of factors. Is there a holiday pay differential? Are you singling me out because I'm atheist? Do I have family? Did you ask if I celebrated the secular side of christmas? Christmas is a holiday that has many meanings in our society. But when you boil it all down, I don't know that you firing me for refusing to work on Christmas would be a first amendment right so much as it would be a 14th amendment issue, which unless I'm mistaken is where the U.S. Civil Rights Act draws most of its authority. People must be treated equally whether they worship multiple gods, the Judeo-Christian God, or No God at all. It is a question of fairness, not what I worship, which is as much the reason we have a constitution as any other, it is our guarantee of "fair treatment" even if that is not always done in practice.
    I didn't say I was insulted or offended. I reminded you that your mother taught you manners. Manners are quite different than PC.
    No, you have to go to work. No holiday pay, it's not a holiday for you. Yes, I'm singling you out as an atheist. Christmas, as a holiday may have many meanings but it is a national holiday ONLY because it is the day society chose to celebrate the birth of Christ. It isn't a federal holiday for any pagan or other reason. Discrimination occurs when the civil rights of an individual are denied or interfered with because of their membership in a particular group or class... ie; religion. But if you are Godless, one without religious beliefs, how can you claim a violation of your non-religious beliefs when forced to work on a religious holiday? You have no religion to be deprived of. Unless of course atheism is a religion?????????????? No. You'll sue under the CRA.
    In addition, let's not be hypocrites. You should leave the Christmas cookies alone out of principal.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I didn't say I was insulted or offended. I reminded you that your mother taught you manners. Manners are quite different than PC.
    No, you have to go to work. No holiday pay, it's not a holiday for you. Yes, I'm singling you out as an atheist. Christmas, as a holiday may have many meanings but it is a national holiday ONLY because it is the day society chose to celebrate the birth of Christ. It isn't a federal holiday for any pagan or other reason. Discrimination occurs when the civil rights of an individual are denied or interfered with because of their membership in a particular group or class... ie; religion. But if you are Godless, one without religious beliefs, how can you claim a violation of your non-religious beliefs when forced to work on a religious holiday? You have no religion to be deprived of. Unless of course atheism is a religion?????????????? No. You'll sue under the CRA.
    In addition, let's not be hypocrites. You should leave the Christmas cookies alone out of principal.
    You're not my mother, just as you're not my employer. Rudeness is in the eye of the offended as you so rightly pointed out. As to the discussion about Christmas, it is a federal holiday, recognized by the federal government as being off for those of any faith or no faith at all. If you as an employer and Christian (I assume you are since you're taking the day off and I am thr only one working) are being a hypocrite yourself by not offering me the day off as your employee (biblical servant). Therefore, I will feel no guilt of hipocracy by using the CRA to sue u for unlawful discrimination. You have no problems extending the spirit of Christ on the celebration of his birth to your fellow man. Why should I as a godless heathen feel any sympathy to you when I win millions of dollars from you in an easily winnable lawsuit for whast is by your own admission a discriminatory act?

BTW, I never said I was atheist I just don't believe the church has any business in running the federal government.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using USA Carry mobile app

You're not my mother, just as you're not my employer. Rudeness is in the eye of the offended as you so rightly pointed out. As to the discussion about Christmas, it is a federal holiday, recognized by the federal government as being off for those of any faith or no faith at all. If you as an employer and Christian (I assume you are since you're taking the day off and I am thr only one working) are being a hypocrite yourself by not offering me the day off as your employee (biblical servant). Therefore, I will feel no guilt of hipocracy by using the CRA to sue u for unlawful discrimination. You have no problems extending the spirit of Christ on the celebration of his birth to your fellow man. Why should I as a godless heathen feel any sympathy to you when I win millions of dollars from you in an easily winnable lawsuit for whast is by your own admission a discriminatory act?

BTW, I never said I was atheist I just don't believe the church has any business in running the federal government.

America is a Christian Nation-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417198289.250269.jpg

Isn't that cute! the $h!t stain knows how to copy and paste a meme.

Understood. But is it a discriminatory act? If a person is without religion how does he claim religious persecution for complying with his wish of no religion? He's not bing persecuted or targeted for his religion.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Understood. But is it a discriminatory act? If a person is without religion how does he claim religious persecution for complying with his wish of no religion? He's not bing persecuted or targeted for his religion.
    Ask the supreme court, what I know is that atheism is a protected belief.

Ask the supreme court, what I know is that atheism is a protected belief.

That's the statement I was waiting for. So what makes an atheist think he can force his belief on those of religion? No religion is a religious belief. Christianity is a religious belief. Why should the atheist's beliefs be FORCED on the rest of us. And it is being forced. If an atheist doesn't want to say "under God" in the pledge he can just skip it. Why does the pledge have to be changed to conform to his views. Why does everyone have to change their life around this person?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

One reason would be because atheism doesn't have the track record religions do of committing genocide because others don't agree with them. Atheists don't have nearly as long a record of converting others at the point of a gun or sword as religious zealots do. A lot of atheists I know are better Christians than the Christians I know. A lot of atheists remember that how you treat the least of your community is the true measure of your greatness .

As to the pledge of allegiance, whats the big deal Christians have with keeping the "under God" in it, it wasn't added till the red scare of the 50s anyways.