America is a Christian Nation - Page 119
Page 119 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1554

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

  1. Quote Originally Posted by BC1
    ...Earlier I asked a question that you should think about... if I fire you for being an atheist or make you wok on Christmas will you sue me under the religious protections of the U.S. Civil Rights Act? The ultimate hypocrisy? And in doing so wouldn't that classify your beliefs as religious and subject to protection? A religion of null?
    This is sophistry and you know it. An adverse employment action based on an employee's atheism is one based on what the employer believes the employee's religiosity should be but isn't. That's a discriminatory employment practice and could well be actionable. Employment discrimination laws include (among other things) protection from the requirement to have a religion or be religious. It does not (as I'm sure you're aware) make atheism a religion (or the absurd and comical "religion of null").

  2.   
  3. #1182
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by GryHounnd View Post
    One reason would be because atheism doesn't have the track record religions do of committing genocide because others don't agree with them. Atheists don't have nearly as long a record of converting others at the point of a gun or sword as religious zealots do. A lot of atheists I know are better Christians than the Christians I know. A lot of atheists remember that how you treat the least of your community is the true measure of your greatness .

    As to the pledge of allegiance, whats the big deal Christians have with keeping the "under God" in it, it wasn't added till the red scare of the 50s anyways.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using USA Carry mobile app
    Hello? Is this Barack? If your argument is 1,000 years old then you don't have one. We don't blame backwards, Obama does. And such atrocities are human nature not the nature of religion. Mankind is bad... inherently evil and destructive. Aside from religion. Religion merely gave bad people a basis or justification for their evil Considering that religion is interpreted differently by different people one can't say an institution in and of itself is good or bad.
    .
    Why does the majority (religious believers) have to be forced to the minority (atheist) view? What is so special about those with no religious belief that we can't say "God?"
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  4. #1183
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    That's the statement I was waiting for. So what makes an atheist think he can force his belief on those of religion? No religion is a religious belief. Christianity is a religious belief. Why should the atheist's beliefs be FORCED on the rest of us. And it is being forced. If an atheist doesn't want to say "under God" in the pledge he can just skip it. Why does the pledge have to be changed to conform to his views. Why does everyone have to change their life around this person?
    The SCOTUS ruled that forcing an a religious test is a violation of a persons religious freedom, including freedom from religion.

    I don't care if you paint your wanker purple and dance naked around a may pole in your back yard as part of your superstitious rituals created by long dead goat herders, just don't expect me to see it, participate in it, or have it taught to my children in school. The only thing that atheists desire to force on anyone is that theists keep their ancient superstitions, with it's associated bigotry, bias, and hatred our of my life, and the laws we all live under. Keep it private, that's what your bible teaches, follow your own rule book.

    Religion is like a wanker. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but don't whip it out in public and start waving it around, do not force it on anyone ... and DO NOT try to shove it down my child's throat.... and keep it the **** out of criminal and civil laws.

    And if atheism is a religion, the not collecting stamps is a hobby.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  5. #1184
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    This is sophistry and you know it. An adverse employment action based on an employee's atheism is one based on what the employer believes the employee's religiosity should be. That's a discriminatory employment practice and could well be actionable. Religious employment discrimination protection includes (but is hardly limited to) protection from the requirement to have a religion or be religious. It does not (as I'm sure you're aware) make atheism a religion (or the absurd and comical "religion of null").
    Then aren't I protected from the atheist view by the same laws? He says I can't say "God" and I say I will. How is he right and the majority wrong? Last night the news ran a story about a school district that can't have decorations because ONE parent objected. Why does that parent's will trump the will of everyone else. No law is being broken by a Christmas tree in a school lobby. A little nutty don't you think? I respect those who don't believe but they won't respect me. For Christ sake, turn your head if you don't want to look at Christmas lights.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  6. #1185
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    I don't care if you paint your wanker purple and dance naked around a may pole in your back yard as part of your superstitious rituals created by long dead goat herders, just don't expect me to see it, participate in it, or have it taught to my children in school. The only thing that atheists desire to force on anyone is that theists keep their ancient superstitions, with it's associated bigotry, bias, and hatred our of my life, and the laws we all live under. Keep it private, that's what your bible teaches, follow your own rule book.

    Religion is like a wanker. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but don't whip it out in public and start waving it around, do not force it on anyone ... and DO NOT try to shove it down my child's throat.... and keep it the **** out of criminal and civil laws.

    And if atheism is a religion, the not collecting stamps is a hobby.
    Criminal and civil law is based in religious law. We already covered that one. Historically there's no argument.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  7. #1186
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    This is sophistry and you know it. An adverse employment action based on an employee's atheism is one based on what the employer believes the employee's religiosity should be. That's a discriminatory employment practice and could well be actionable. Religious employment discrimination protection includes (but is hardly limited to) protection from the requirement to have a religion or be religious. It does not (as I'm sure you're aware) make atheism a religion (or the absurd and comical "religion of null").
    Atheism is a religious belief. Already defined as such by case law. Accepted even among the loudest atheists. While I can't fire one for being an atheist I can fire him for talking about it in my company offices. He's not entitled to free speech on my private property. He's not entitled to cause distress to his coworkers with a political or religious position. And if he complains about Christmas he's fired. He may not voice his opinion on this topic in my privately held company. In 2008 we dumped an Obama supporter for her constant promotion of this hack. Thank God NY is an employment at will state. I don't need to provide a reason why I'm letting one go. But in my mind there's a firm reason.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  8. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Atheism is a religious belief. Already defined as such by case law. Accepted even among the loudest atheists...
    There are subtle legalities here nobody with a closed, one-track mind who thinks he understands what the law is based on Fox "News" statements and those in religious publications and websites would ever try to correctly understand, so this will have to suffice: First, an isolated court decision or two does not constitute the "law of the land." Second, atheism is not a religion, cannot be, and never will be, but courts can treat it as if it were one to guarantee equal protection of the laws (and other legal protections) to athiests--much as the way "constructiveness" works to create a legal fiction to prevent an injustice from being done or to keep people subject to criminal laws (e.g., constructive possession of a Class III weapon or narcotics). Third there's a difference between atheism as a religion (impossible and nonsensical) and atheism involving a religious belief--which it does in the broad sense, i.e., it reflects a judgment that religion is bunk because it irrationally involves the belief without evidence in a supernatural being.

  9. #1188
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Atheism is a religious belief. Already defined as such by case law. Accepted even among the loudest atheists. While I can't fire one for being an atheist I can fire him for talking about it in my company offices. He's not entitled to free speech on my private property. He's not entitled to cause distress to his coworkers with a political or religious position. And if he complains about Christmas he's fired. He may not voice his opinion on this topic in my privately held company. In 2008 we dumped an Obama supporter for her constant promotion of this hack. Thank God NY is an employment at will state. I don't need to provide a reason why I'm letting one go. But in my mind there's a firm reason.
    Theists have an annoying habit of reading something, then interpreting it to say what they want. After all they have had a life time of practice reading their special book, then twist the meaning until it agrees with their preconceived ideas.

    The SCOTUS ruling is that a person that does not believe in god, cannot be forced to take an oath on a bible or to any god as a requirement to take office. That would be freedom from any religion or religious test.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  10. #1189
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Atheism is a religious belief. Already defined as such by case law. Accepted even among the loudest atheists. While I can't fire one for being an atheist I can fire him for talking about it in my company offices. He's not entitled to free speech on my private property. He's not entitled to cause distress to his coworkers with a political or religious position. And if he complains about Christmas he's fired. He may not voice his opinion on this topic in my privately held company. In 2008 we dumped an Obama supporter for her constant promotion of this hack. Thank God NY is an employment at will state. I don't need to provide a reason why I'm letting one go. But in my mind there's a firm reason.
    Bc,

    You would be right if that were the case in our original supposition. However, in the original supposition you were singling ME out by REQUIRING me to work without compensation BECAUSE of my lack of a religion on federally recognized holiday. I'm suing you for discrimination. In no case did I make a stink about YOUR religion.

    I sure as hell am glad I don't work for you. You sound like a petty, sh!tty, and vindictive employer if you fired someone based soley on their political views.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using USA Carry mobile app

  11. #1190
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Hello? Is this Barack? If your argument is 1,000 years old then you don't have one. We don't blame backwards, Obama does. And such atrocities are human nature not the nature of religion. Mankind is bad... inherently evil and destructive. Aside from religion. Religion merely gave bad people a basis or justification for their evil Considering that religion is interpreted differently by different people one can't say an institution in and of itself is good or bad.
    .
    Why does the majority (religious believers) have to be forced to the minority (atheist) view? What is so special about those with no religious belief that we can't say "God?"
    Oh and history is relevant. Just because YOU have the typical American historical memory of a gnat, doesn't mean other countries do. The middle east is the way it is BECAUSE they remember events that happened 1000 years ago like it happened last week.

    Apparently you didn't pay attention in some of those ivy league classes or you might have remembered this one:

    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    -George Santayana

    In this conversation it is entirely relevant. You are displaying the typical morally repugnant behavior of the majority by acting arrogantly rather than in the generous spirit you shoul. If you were serious about reflecting the generous spirit of Christ you would be working harder to show it than in making the point about how right YOUR actions are. Jesus did more to convert followers by eating with Zaccheus than he ever did condemning the pharisees.

    Along that same vein, can you tell me why things turned out so much better over the long term after world war 2 when contrasted with world war 1?


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using USA Carry mobile app

Similar Threads

  1. Judge Declares Prayer Unconstitutional - Here's What You Can Do
    By Conservative Wife & Mom in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 07:48 PM
  2. Obama & The Progressives Planned Destruction of America...
    By Bohemian in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 04:57 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 06:32 PM
  4. Is America No Longer a Christian Nation?
    By HK4U in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 10:48 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 08:34 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast