America is a Christian Nation - Page 147
Page 147 of 156 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 1554

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Now that's typical. Right wing nuts throwing around quotations all over the place until those quotations are counter with quotes of opposition from the very same source, then they raise the white flag but instead of doing the honorable thing and surrendering their inane claims, they run and hide to snipe again. Cowards and gutless.
    They are looking for the cherry pits in the bull excrement.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

3. [QUOTE=XD40scinNC;556810]Most of the "laws" that came from the bible have been overturned by the courts as they existed only to legislate the hatred from the bible to discriminate against certain groups in our society. QUOTE]

You mean like MURDER, KIDNAPPING, STEALING???
    Let me see, a few countries if you want a wife you just go to another village and kidnap her.
    See link Bride kidnapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

4. [QUOTE=XD40scinNC;556810] Now, I'd really like you to support your nonsense by telling us what passages in what bible supports CCW permits. QUOTE]

We have an obligation to preserve the body and life of other people. Psalm 82:4 even cites an obligation to protect those who are in danger:

Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked.

Consider also Proverbs 24:11, which indicates we have a duty to preserve the lives of those who are harming themselves:

Proverbs 24:11 Deliver those who are drawn toward death, And hold back those stumbling to the slaughter.

Ezekiel 33 is a well-known passage:

Ezekiel 33 "... 6 'But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and a sword comes and takes a person from them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood I will require from the watchman's hand.'

Nehemiah 4:17 Those who were rebuilding the wall and those who carried burdens took their load with one hand doing the work and the other holding a weapon. 18 As for the builders, each wore his sword girded at his side as he built, while the trumpeter stood near me. ... 21 So we carried on the work with half of them holding spears from dawn until the stars appeared. .... 23 So neither I, my brothers, my servants, nor the men of the guard who followed me, none of us removed our clothes, each took his weapon even to the water.

Esther 8:11-12 11 By these letters the king permitted the Jews who were in every city to gather together and protect their lives -- to destroy, kill, and annihilate all the forces of any people or province that would assault them, both little children and women, and to plunder their possessions...

Luke 22:35-36 And He said to them, "When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?" So they said, "Nothing." 36 Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

there are a few broad-stroke observations we can make about this passage.
    1. Jesus expected them to have swords and anticipated a time when those without swords would need to acquire them.
    2. Among eleven disciples, they did have two swords--in almost a 1:5 ratio.
    3. Jesus expected them to carry the swords on their person as they traveled from the city to the garden prayer meeting.

John 18:10-11 10 Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus. 11 So Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into the sheath. Shall I not drink the cup which My Father has given Me?"

Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Psalm 18:34 He teaches my hands to make war, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze

Skill and ability to use weapons here, whether literal and/or metaphorical, is positively portrayed in these verses.

Here is a warning: If you find that you have anger or self-control problems, owning weapons is unwise. The believer is to be "not soon angry, no brawler, no striker" (Titus 1:7).

What if you are badly wronged? What if your wife or daughter is badly wronged? You must stop an attack that is in progress, but afterwards, you must not seek revenge. There is no room for vigilantes.

Rom 12:19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

Wow it just hit me! If you are radical islam you can't say you love the constitution and would defend it, because they will come for you. Pretender....yes?

sinful nature is always hostile to God....

Quote Originally Posted by Stan45 View Post

You mean like MURDER, KIDNAPPING, STEALING???
    Let me see, a few countries if you want a wife you just go to another village and kidnap her.
    See link Bride kidnapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    I keep my posts short because I am aware that the attention span of many is short and points get lost in long posts, but alas event that fails with some.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post

And before you throw out the laws against murder and theft as coming from your buy bull, recognize that ALL societies have laws against murder and theft, regardless of religion or total lack of any religion.
    Your reference is not any more reliable than a blog, and while it does occur, there are laws on the books in these countries that make the act ILLEGAL.

So while holding your bible with many many passages defending slavery, you want to bring kidnapping into the debate?

Attachment 13530
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan45 View Post

We have an obligation to preserve the body and life of other people. <snipped for brevity>
    Those are not about defending your self, but your gods favorite past time, killing.

[QUOTE=Stan45;556866]
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Now, I'd really like you to support your nonsense by telling us what passages in what bible supports CCW permits. QUOTE]

We have an obligation to preserve the body and life of other people. Psalm 82:4 even cites an obligation to protect those who are in danger:

Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked.

Consider also Proverbs 24:11, which indicates we have a duty to preserve the lives of those who are harming themselves:

Proverbs 24:11 Deliver those who are drawn toward death, And hold back those stumbling to the slaughter.

Ezekiel 33 is a well-known passage:

Ezekiel 33 "... 6 'But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and a sword comes and takes a person from them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood I will require from the watchman's hand.'

Nehemiah 4:17 Those who were rebuilding the wall and those who carried burdens took their load with one hand doing the work and the other holding a weapon. 18 As for the builders, each wore his sword girded at his side as he built, while the trumpeter stood near me. ... 21 So we carried on the work with half of them holding spears from dawn until the stars appeared. .... 23 So neither I, my brothers, my servants, nor the men of the guard who followed me, none of us removed our clothes, each took his weapon even to the water.

Esther 8:11-12 11 By these letters the king permitted the Jews who were in every city to gather together and protect their lives -- to destroy, kill, and annihilate all the forces of any people or province that would assault them, both little children and women, and to plunder their possessions...

Luke 22:35-36 And He said to them, "When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?" So they said, "Nothing." 36 Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

there are a few broad-stroke observations we can make about this passage.
    1. Jesus expected them to have swords and anticipated a time when those without swords would need to acquire them.
    2. Among eleven disciples, they did have two swords--in almost a 1:5 ratio.
    3. Jesus expected them to carry the swords on their person as they traveled from the city to the garden prayer meeting.

John 18:10-11 10 Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus. 11 So Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into the sheath. Shall I not drink the cup which My Father has given Me?"

Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Psalm 18:34 He teaches my hands to make war, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze

Skill and ability to use weapons here, whether literal and/or metaphorical, is positively portrayed in these verses.

Here is a warning: If you find that you have anger or self-control problems, owning weapons is unwise. The believer is to be "not soon angry, no brawler, no striker" (Titus 1:7).

What if you are badly wronged? What if your wife or daughter is badly wronged? You must stop an attack that is in progress, but afterwards, you must not seek revenge. There is no room for vigilantes.

Rom 12:19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.
    Watch out Stan45...those twisters hate christians just like radical islam hates christians...hmm wait a minute! Ask them to denounce muhammad? Bet they can't because they could be in trouble.

sinful nature is always hostile to God....

This is during the Bush administration, but most arguments for or against are noted.

It is actually Art.I Sec.7
    If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law.
    -
    Art III, Sec 3:
    No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
    Deuteronomy 17:6 New International Version
    On the testimony of two or three witnesses a person is to be put to death, but no one is to be put to death on the testimony of only one witness.
    -
    From the treaty of Tripoli, often quoted out of context, clause 11 states
    "As the Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."
    According to Frank Lambert, Professor of History at Purdue University, the assurances in Article 11 were "intended to allay the fears of the Muslim state by insisting that religion would not govern how the treaty was interpreted and enforced. John Adams and the Senate made clear that the pact was between two sovereign states, not between two religious powers." Lambert writes,
    "By their actions, the Founding Fathers made clear that their primary concern was religious freedom, not the advancement of a state religion. Individuals, not the government, would define religious faith and practice in the United States. Thus the Founders ensured that in no official sense would America be a Christian Republic. Ten years after the Constitutional Convention ended its work, the country assured the world that the United States was a secular state, and that its negotiations would adhere to the rule of law, not the dictates of the Christian faith. The assurances were contained in the Treaty of Tripoli of 1797 and were intended to allay the fears of the Muslim state by insisting that religion would not govern how the treaty was interpreted and enforced. John Adams and the Senate made clear that the pact was between two sovereign states, not between two religious powers.
    The treaty was printed in the Philadelphia Gazette and two New York papers, with only scant public dissent, most notably from William Cobbett.
    -
    At least one member of Adams' cabinet, Secretary of War James McHenry, is known to have protested the language of article 11, before its ratification. A second treaty, the Treaty of Peace and Amity signed on July 4, 1805, superseded the 1796 treaty. The 1805 treaty did not contain the phrase "not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Farmhood View Post
    Watch out Stan45...those twisters hate christians just like radical islam hates christians...hmm wait a minute! Ask them to denounce muhammad? Bet they can't because they could be in trouble.
    With facts and I recognize that 'fact' is a vulgar 4 letter word in the fantasy land of religions that shall not be uttered. (no christians, you are not special, all religions hate fact)

Quote Originally Posted by Farmhood View Post
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

John Adams
    Is there any question then as to why our Constitution is "wholly inadequate" to our present day government?

God Is Good.
    The Most Important Thing That You Can Do In This Life, Is To Determine "WHERE" You Will "LIVE" In The Next Life.