America is a Christian Nation - Page 152
Page 152 of 156 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 1554

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Keeping it simple because I know the audience. It's simple really, it is an effective method of communication and you have to admit that even you will look at the 'cartoony' things where you may not read the complete statement of others.

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words.

See how well it works!
    A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words.

America is a Christian Nation-liberals.jpg

See how well it works!
    The Most Important Thing That You Can Do In This Life, Is To Determine "WHERE" You Will "LIVE" In The Next Life.

But that would only prove that I do not have legal proof that you owe me $1,000, which is sufficient in a civil court, but you still cannot prove the negative but only that I can't prove the positive, yet that is you sole argument when you ask atheists to prove the lack of god.

Nor could you legally provide proof of god in a court of law, based on procedures and rules of evidence. So prove the positive.
    Yer sayin the same thing as me. Neither side can prove it. It's a belief.
    And mathematically one can prove a negative.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Yer sayin the same thing as me. Neither side can prove it. It's a belief.
    And mathematically one can prove a negative.
    Well so can your banker, but you have yet to prove you don't you don't owe me $1K
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Shocking Biblical Discovery Made in Egyptian Mummy Mask... Atheists Are NOT Happy
    It was a shocking discovery and a victory for Biblical scholars – a fragment of the gospel of Mark found inside a mummy mask in Egypt. However, the discovery has atheists up in arms, and you won’t believe why.
    -
    The discovery was made in Egypt, where mummy masks were made out of recycled papyrus. When taken apart via a delamination process, the masks can yield up to 12 different fragments of antiquarian writing.
    -
    According to the Blaze, one of the masks yielded a fragment of the gospel of Mark from 80 A.D. – the earliest known fragment of that book of the Bible and putting it quite close to the life of Christ. This also goes a long way to disproving the claim that the gospels were literary inventions that took place centuries after the life of Jesus.
    -
    “To have a first-century witness to the text of the New Testament is unprecedented. That a fragment of Mark was found in Egypt is even more astonishing,” wrote Boyce College professor Denny Burk.
    -
    “That would seem to require that the original was probably penned decades before.”
    -
    Needless to say, atheists had a fit – although not over what you’d think.
    -
    Militant atheist Bart D. Ehrman took exception on Facebook to the methods being used.
    -
    “This complete disregard for the sanctity of surviving antiquities is, for many, many of us not just puzzling but flat-out distressing,” Ehrman wrote.
    -
    “It appears that the people behind and the people doing this destruction of antiquities are all conservative evangelical Christians, who care nothing about the preservation of the past – they care only about getting their paws on a small fragment of a manuscript.”
    -
    Note that nothing’s mentioned here about the genuine nature of the fragment – something Ehrman would have heretofore claimed was highly unlikely – but just that he doesn’t like archeologists doing work that might disprove his pet theories.
    -
    According to the archeologists, though, these weren’t museum quality mummy masks, and the texts inside were more valuable than the masks themselves.
    Chief

Ancient Egyptians were into recycling paper. The first drafts of the fairy tale we only worthy of being recycled for other purposes? Sounds about right.

Oh, and trust me, I'm happy, in fact I am ecstatic that my head is not filled with the nonsense and bull **** that haunts yours.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    Shocking Biblical Discovery Made in Egyptian Mummy Mask... Atheists Are NOT Happy
    It was a shocking discovery and a victory for Biblical scholars – a fragment of the gospel of Mark found inside a mummy mask in Egypt. However, the discovery has atheists up in arms, and you won’t believe why.
    -
    The discovery was made in Egypt, where mummy masks were made out of recycled papyrus. When taken apart via a delamination process, the masks can yield up to 12 different fragments of antiquarian writing.
    -
    According to the Blaze, one of the masks yielded a fragment of the gospel of Mark from 80 A.D. – the earliest known fragment of that book of the Bible and putting it quite close to the life of Christ. This also goes a long way to disproving the claim that the gospels were literary inventions that took place centuries after the life of Jesus.
    -
    “To have a first-century witness to the text of the New Testament is unprecedented. That a fragment of Mark was found in Egypt is even more astonishing,” wrote Boyce College professor Denny Burk.
    -
    “That would seem to require that the original was probably penned decades before.”
    -
    Needless to say, atheists had a fit – although not over what you’d think.
    -
    Militant atheist Bart D. Ehrman took exception on Facebook to the methods being used.
    -
    “This complete disregard for the sanctity of surviving antiquities is, for many, many of us not just puzzling but flat-out distressing,” Ehrman wrote.
    -
    “It appears that the people behind and the people doing this destruction of antiquities are all conservative evangelical Christians, who care nothing about the preservation of the past – they care only about getting their paws on a small fragment of a manuscript.”
    -
    Note that nothing’s mentioned here about the genuine nature of the fragment – something Ehrman would have heretofore claimed was highly unlikely – but just that he doesn’t like archeologists doing work that might disprove his pet theories.
    -
    According to the archeologists, though, these weren’t museum quality mummy masks, and the texts inside were more valuable than the masks themselves.

Is there nothing you won't swallow?

News of the fragment first came to light in 2012 when its existence was (perhaps inadvertently) announced by Daniel Wallace, founder of the Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts at Dallas Theological Seminary.

No one saw the text then, and no one has seen it now; though it has been mentioned repeatedly by a select group of people who evidently have been given access to it, its planned date of publication has been consistently pushed back, from an original plan of 2013 to 2015 and now, just this week, all the way to 2017.

Despite the seemingly explosive quality of the news, therefore, it is important to take a step back and consider what is actually being revealed here.

Some people are saying they have this really old and important thing, and they will show it to all the rest of us in a few years. (Essentially, this papyrus is the scholarly equivalent of "my girlfriend who lives in Canada.")

It is unclear why anyone would start talking about a text like this, a year, indeed now at least two years, in advance. The most important established fact about this papyrus, at this point, is that it has not yet been published—which is to say, only a small handful of individuals have seen the text and are able to say anything at all about it.

As Roberta Mazza, an ancient historian and papyrologist from the University of Manchester in England, told us, the academic community has not "been given access to firm information and images on the basis of which could eventually say something."

In other words, this sort of notice really serves mostly to remind us of just how little we know about this purported discovery. Here, for example, are five key, unanswered questions.

1. What is the actual text on the papyrus?

We are told that it is from Mark, but, after all, no one has seen it. Which part of Mark?

2. Is the handwriting consistent with the supposed dating?

Brice Jones, a papyrologist at Concordia University, told us that dating a text by handwriting, or paleography, "is not a precise science, and I know of no papyrologist who would date a literary papryus to within a decade on the basis of paleography alone."

3. Is the ink or papyrus itself consistent with the supposed dating?

According to Jones, if paleography is inexact, "radiocarbon dating is equally (and perhaps more) problematic, since one must allow for a time gap of a century or more."

They say that these lab tests have all been done, but as no one has actually seen the reports, they are less than confirmatory.

4. Who owns the papyrus, or the mask from which it was taken, and from whom was it purchased, and when?

The time and place of a text's discovery, known as its provenance, are crucial for verifying its authenticity, especially in a period of extensive looting of archaeological sites and museum theft.

According to international law, if the mask was taken out of Egypt after 1970, it is officially "unprovenanced," and is effectively prohibited from being sold or published. Evans told us "I do not know the specifics" about the provenance of this mask.

5. Who has seen the text, who has verified it, and who has studied it?

Evans is not a trained papyrologist, but is rather a scholar of the New Testament. To this point, none of the papyrologists, text critics or other highly specialized experts, who must have worked on this text before these claims could be made about it, have been identified or spoken publicly about it.
    Was oldest gospel really found in a mummy mask?

The gullible need to lean to spit now and then instead of gulping down everything they read.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Is there nothing you won't swallow?

Was oldest gospel really found in a mummy mask?

The gullible need to lean to spit now and then instead of gulping down everything they read.
    A. Your source of CNN is a tell.
    B. Nothing in the article discounts anything, just states that evidence has not yet been made public.
    C. 2 years since the discovery of an artifact for testing etc. is not really a long time. I know that in this day of instant gratification, and next day retractions, this seems odd. Be patient.
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    A. Your source of CNN is a tell.
    B. Nothing in the article discounts anything, just states that evidence has not yet been made public.
    C. 2 years since the discovery of an artifact for testing etc. is not really a long time. I know that in this day of instant gratification, and next day retractions, this seems odd. Be patient.
    While your source is nothing more than a blog with the following requirements to have work published in the blog;

We're looking to hire bloggers who can quickly cover the news on a daily level for a very conservative and libertarian audience.

-We pick the topics for you
    -We write the headlines for you
    -We pick the sources you'll link to
    -You just have to fill articles with 5-7 paragraphs of original content to explain the news

We pay $15 per article. Articles take our current writers between 30 minutes to an hour to do -- the longer they write, the faster it gets.
    Jobs for Bloggers - ProBlogger Job Board - Writer

Well so can your banker, but you have yet to prove you don't you don't owe me $1K
    Can't prove I don't until until you assert it as a fact. Yer using a bad example. If it were that EZ religion would have been decided by the courts long ago.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Can't prove I don't until until you assert it as a fact. Yer using a bad example. If it were that EZ religion would have been decided by the courts long ago.
    I have asserted it, with the same level of evidence that theists defend the existence of their god, because I say so. Now where is your evidence you do not owe me $1K?

Theists continue to demand that atheists provide proof there is no god, I hold you to the same standard of proof that you don't owe me $1K.