America is a Christian Nation - Page 19
Page 19 of 156 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    ... the current year is not 2010 AD (after the death of our Lord),
    It's also not the 2010th year "After the Death" of Christ.

While, B.C. does, indeed, indicate "Before Christ", it is a common misunderstanding that A.D. stands for "After Death". It does not. It stands for Anno Domini, Latin for "in the year of our lord". Think about it rationally for a second. If B.C. is only before Christ was born and A.D. was only after Christ died, what do you call the years of Christ's life? They're not BC, because he's there. It's not A.D., because he's alive. In counting the years of the Earth, the year before Christ was born was 1 BC. The first year in which he was alive was 1 AD. There was no year 0 in either BC or AD.

Due to the prevalence of western culture globally, the Gregorian calendar gets used in lots of places where the predominant religion is not Christianity, and so to say 2010 A.D. would be inaccurate, since it would not be in the year of "their lord". There has, therefore, been a push to replace A.D. with C.E., which stands for the "of the Common Era".

Even though, I'm a devout atheist, I find this ridiculous. A.D. has become a cultural touch stone, and I personally have no problem with using it, even though it is not the year of "my" lord. I will not use C.E., nor its B.C.E. counterpart. There are lots of calendars all around. The Jews still maintain their calendar. I believe it's presently the year 5770. The Chinese maintain their calendars (several in parallel). It's the year 4707, depending on which epoch you go by.

There are also variations regarding are you using the solar year or lunar year. The Iranian/Persian calendar is an amalgam. By the solar year, it's the year 1389, but the Holy month of Ramadan follows a lunar calendar, which is why it creeps up about a month per year.

So, as we can see, there's absolutely nothing special about Anno Domini, except for the fact that that's what we use, but we haven't always used it as it is now, in the west. Earlier Christians stuck with the (Roman Emperor) Julian calendar. It wasn't until relatively recently (1582) that the system of the Gregorian calendar was instituted. And even then, it's been continuously tweaked and modified (leap year, anyone?).

Today, our time keeping is left in the hands of the scientists with atomic clocks to figure out how long a second is (9,192,631,770 vibrations of Ce133), and from there, how many
    minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years, etc. have gone by. The use of Anno Domini for the basis of this counting is next to meaningless in the lives of the vast majority of those who use it. Which, if you are a faithful Christian, is how it should be, since Matthew 7:14 dictates that belief in Christ is to be a minority religion.

It's just like the epochs used in computer clocks. UNIX/Linux is the oldest of all OSes in current use, its epoch starts with 12:00:01 Jan. 1, 1960.

Code:
    # date +%s
    So, it's been 1,274,150,334 seconds since the start of the UNIX epoch. M.S. DOS uses the epoch which starts with 12:00:01 Jan. 1, 1980, since it's just a young upstart of an OS.

When files get transferred from one OS to the other, timestamps are either updated before being used locally, or the software which interacts with those foreign timestamps are cognizant of the disparity. That is what we must be in America.

We do have a freedom of religion in America. If we want the godless heathens to respect our religious beliefs, we have to respect theirs. I am a godless heathen myself. I tolerate the religiosity of others. All I demand in trade is tolerance of my rationality. I treat it the same way Master Kan put it to Kwai Chang Caine in the TV series Kung Fu. "Respect all ways. Practice first your own." I respect the ways of religionists, but I can only practice Atheism.

And freedom of religion is freedom from religion. It cannot be otherwise. Freedom of speech is also the freedom to refrain from speaking. Freedom of the press is also the freedom to refrain from publishing. To claim otherwise on any one of the rights in the 1st Amendment is to claim the same of all of them.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post
    So, the short answer is I dont think we are a christian nation (*anymore*), nor do we need to be.
    Nor should we be. And the sooner those practising religious intolerance and proselytising their one true way get with the program, the sooner we can leave all that Christian baggage behind and begin realising a better place in this world.

Same to the Muslims. They're still packing their bags.

May (insert your deity of choice here) help us all when CW&M crosses up with CIB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Science simply confirms what the Bible has already confirmed thousands of years before science, was science. The simple single cell which is the basic foundation and "building block" of DNA contains more information than can be stored in all of the books a library can stock on it's shelves. When you know anything at all about DNA, even to consider Evolution a "theory" is absurd. You'll never convince an evolutionist that their belief is totally bogus and foolish anymore than you can convince them of the truth of the Bible. They choose to believe in Evolution because they fear the truth of the Bible. Why? Because by believing in Evolution, regardless of how scientifically proven absurd, they feel safe to live their lives as they choose without fear of guilt, judgment, and eternal damnation, as revealed in the Bible. LIFE..Choices & Consequences. Truth.. there is only ONE TRUTH, and it isn't Evolution.
    Are you trying to bring back up the whole religious prosecution of scientists, and other free thinkers throughout history? Galileo? Besides that lets not forget when scientists get mad at each other they dont usually go to war with each other. I cant even remember the last time a mathmatician crashed an airplane into a building...

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    Nor should we be. And the sooner those practising religious intolerance and proselytising their one true way get with the program, the sooner we can leave all that Christian baggage behind and begin realising a better place in this world.

Same to the Muslims. They're still packing their bags.

May (insert your deity of choice here) help us all when CW&M crosses up with CIB.
    Reminds me of something Einstein wrote:

A man who is convinced of the truth of his religion is indeed never tolerant. At the least, he is to feel pity for the adherent of another religion but usually it does not stop there.

The faithful adherent of a religion will try first of all to convince those that believe in another religion and usually he goes on to hatred if he is not successful. However, hatred then leads to persecution when the might of the majority is behind it.

In the case of a Christian clergyman, the tragic-comical is found in this: that the Christian religion demands love from the faithful, even love for the enemy. This demand, because it is indeed superhuman, he is unable to fulfill. Thus intolerance and hatred ring through the oily words of the clergyman.

The love, which on the Christian side is the basis for the conciliatory attempt towards Judaism is the same as the love of a child for a cake. That means that it contains the hope that the object of the love will be eaten up...

- quoted in: Einstein's God - Albert Einstein's Quest as a Scientist and as a Jew to Replace a Forsaken God (1997)

Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post

A man who is convinced of the truth of his religion is indeed never tolerant. At the least, he is to feel pity for the adherent of another religion but usually it does not stop there.

The faithful adherent of a religion will try first of all to convince those that believe in another religion and usually he goes on to hatred if he is not successful. However, hatred then leads to persecution when the might of the majority is behind it.

In the case of a Christian clergyman, the tragic-comical is found in this: that the Christian religion demands love from the faithful, even love for the enemy. This demand, because it is indeed superhuman, he is unable to fulfill. Thus intolerance and hatred ring through the oily words of the clergyman.

The love, which on the Christian side is the basis for the conciliatory attempt towards Judaism is the same as the love of a child for a cake. That means that it contains the hope that the object of the love will be eaten up...

- quoted in: Einstein's God - Albert Einstein's Quest as a Scientist and as a Jew to Replace a Forsaken God (1997)
    Reminds me of something God wrote:

I Corinthians 3:19..The Wisdom of Man Is But Foolishness To God.

1 Corinthians 1:21..Since God In His Wisdom Saw To It That the World Would Never Know Him Through Human Wisdom, He Has Used Our Foolish Preaching To Save Those Who Believe.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post

Dear Onlinedad,

What is the purpose of your post. True Christianity is the most tolerant religion of all. We are commanded to preach but not force. It is our duty of the gift within to teach the truth of the gospel to all creatures. God gives all the freedom to choose. The only people that are not tolerated at present are born again Christians. Go figure.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post
    Are you trying to bring back up the whole religious prosecution of scientists, and other free thinkers throughout history? Galileo? Besides that lets not forget when scientists get mad at each other they dont usually go to war with each other. I cant even remember the last time a mathmatician crashed an airplane into a building...
    Galileo was persecuted by the Catholic inquisition. They also burned people at the stake that believe as I do that the Bible is our final written authority. What are you trying to imply?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post
    I think you missed my point on this. I wasn't saying America was not founded as a christian nation, just that no matter what it was founded on (baseball was my example), over time, because of the dynamics and diversity that makes up this nation, many different religions have worked their way into the communities. Some newer than others, and most if not all have a magic book that they all believe is the *truth* and the absolute word of their own deity, (although they are all written, edited and interpreted by man, and yes even the words written in the red ink). And all of the faiths/religions believe that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Then there those of us that have evolved. And as such we now have science, and logical thinking to proove some/most of the workings of our natural universe, and we no longer need superstitious belief systems to explain the things we did/do not understand. Nor do we find the need for the guilt for not believing.

So, the short answer is I dont think we are a christian nation (*anymore*), nor do we need to be.
    Please tell me how our universe evolved from nothing. We will see how logical your so called science really is.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of being referred to as a "Bible Thumper", "bigot", and "hater". Soooo...I think it's time to round up all the atheists and burn 'em at the stake. I mean, that's the plan right? Just as soon as we Christians establish that state religion, why, you atheists better watch out!
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

IMO, after a thread stretches out over 20 pages, with no apparent "meeting of minds", so much ventured and so little gained, it's time to call it DONE and retire the thread!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.