America is a Christian Nation - Page 20
Page 20 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

"It was said earlier"...

On our currency we have “In God We Trust”

Every time you date a check, pick up a newspaper, or pull a dollar from your wallet in the United States, you bear witness to the spiritual origins of our country.

America is a Christian nation.

Republican President Abraham Lincoln in dedicating the military cemetery at Gettysburg said, "we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain--that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom--and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

In the United States, the motto first appeared on a coin in 1864 during strong Christian sentiment emerging during the Civil War, but In God We Trust did not become the official U.S. national motto until after the passage of an Act of Congress in 1956. So I dare not say that this proves anything about how the founding fathers felt about how this country is to be directed philosophically, religiously or any other way for that matter.To quote a few founding fathers--

Abraham Lincoln' "The bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma"

James Madison " Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise"

Thomas Paine "All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit"

And last but not least, one of the most outspoken of them on this subject....

Thomas Jefferson "Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies" "I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature" "Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man" The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes; fools and hipocrits." "All Tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." "It does me no injury if my neighbor believes in 100 Gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." Thomas Jefferson. At the time Jefferson wrote this Virginia had 1 approved religion. This is the origin of the separation of church and state. Franklin believed the Constitution was sufficient as written where as Jefferson insited on a separate list of personal rights. Jefferson won and we have the Bill of Rights with freedom of speech and religion being key rights that were rather radical for the time.

I don't care if you are Christian or Muslim or Jewish or what ever, just don't try to force me to believe in it or teach it to my children in my state supported schools that tax dollars pay for. Our tax dollars should not be paying for clergymen in the military either, let the churches supply them. If religious org.s want Federal funding, let them pay taxes. That is unconstitutional and I will fight about it in any court.
    Oh yea, and you better hope all our scientist that make your medicines, teach your children in Universities, develop your electronic devices, etc. etc, don't decide to force their atheism on you. You do know that 95 % of them are atheist or deists of some sort right???
    Love yah mean it....

OK, how about:

America is a nation of disenfranchised Christians.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    IMO, after a thread stretches out over 20 pages, with no apparent "meeting of minds", so much ventured and so little gained, it's time to call it DONE and retire the thread!
    There will be no agreement until the lost souls are saved that disagree. They just need to believe and then there will be no disagreememnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska444 View Post
    There will be no agreement until the lost souls are saved that disagree. They just need to believe and then there will be no disagreememnt.

+1...When it comes to the teaching of the Gospel, surrender is not an option.
    The Most Important Thing That You Can Do In This Life, Is To Determine "WHERE" You Will "LIVE" In The Next Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska444 View Post
    I'm a Christian, too. And, I, too, anguish over the "lost souls". But, arguing the point isn't going to "win" anybody. Give them the gospel message and then let God work on their minds, hearts and souls. As far as I can tell, the seeds have been planted HERE. IMO, it's time to let the Holy Spirit tend to the crop.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

I think what's really going on here...

...Is the Bible thumpers are unhappy because USACarry is maybe not an all-Christian web forum!

I want argue with them any more. From Now on I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

9. Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    ...Is the Bible thumpers are unhappy because USACarry is maybe not an all-Christian web forum!
    Actually cocked and locked, one of the reasons that I have come to enjoy USA carry so much is because it has more Christian brothers and sisters than on any other website I have ever been on. Perhaps you should ask yourself what the shared belief and fellowship that we have really is. I didn't understand it myself until the Lord reached out and saved me at the age of 36. The joy that I share from fellow Christians witnessing of the truth of Jesus Christ is a rare gift. I am pleased that we have a strong following at the site.

But thank you for your view.

Cheers,

10. Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    I'm a Christian, too. And, I, too, anguish over the "lost souls". But, arguing the point isn't going to "win" anybody. Give them the gospel message and then let God work on their minds, hearts and souls. As far as I can tell, the seeds have been planted HERE. IMO, it's time to let the Holy Spirit tend to the crop.
    If you look at the number of people that have posted and the number of views, you will see that there are many more that watch and listen to this discussion than those that participate directly. Iceman is right part of the reason that many people do not want to become Christian is because of the Christians. Have you heard why Gandhi rejected Christianity. Same answer, because of the Christians.

It is quite easy to forget that we are all sinners in need of a saviour. IF ANYONE wants to ask legitimate questions or ask of me the reason for the faith that is in me, then the Bible tells us to have a ready answer. Nothing at all wrong with debating these issues. If someone had not had the patience to put up with my questions, doubts and debates for over a year and a half, how would I have learned enough to get saved. Once again, fellow Christians, show those that do not believe the reason for the faith that resides within us. It is simply one sinner telling another sinner where to find salvation. The Bible tells us we have that duty. Fortunately, God a sent a patient man to me in 1993 that witnessed to me for over a year and a half until one day God did get ahold of me. How many questions should we answer. As many as it takes. As long as the discussion has a modicum of decorum, I will continue to post on this issue. The truth is with us, no need to toss in the towel

Every person has to decide what God wants him or her to do. If any think that continuing the dialog is useful and that God wants them to keep trying then that is what they should do. If you feel God is telling you it is time to move on then you should move on. Scripture on one hand tells us to be ready to give an answer to any of the hope that lies within us. Scripture also says there is a time to shake the dust off our feet if someone refuses to hear us and also not to cast our pearls before swine. That is not my words but scripture. So yes answer sincere questions if you feel they are asked in sincerity. If you feel the question is asked with the idea just to bait someone into argument then do what you think best. So again each person has to decide what God has put on their heart.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7