America is a Christian Nation - Page 46
Page 46 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

1. Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post
    I was nearly dumbfounded. I've never heard of this 6K y/o earth thing before. So by their logic, lets say someone reading the bible, oh I dunno 1000 years ago, would also look at the writings of the bible and say the earth was 6000 years old. Or how about 1000 years into the future, when someone reads the bible they would argue that the earth is only 6000 years old. By that logic the earth would never age. I bet that pisses the grand canyon off... or how about all of those petrified trees?

Oh yeah not to mention that the bible never mentions any sort of math or time line that specifically says that this happened in x time. These are all just interpretations and unprovable theories made by man, on the assumption that the stories of the bible are in chronological, and linear order. But, that of course is more believable than trying to study the radioactive breakdown of elements, although the practice may not 100% perfect every time, at least it can be tested, and the theories and methods can be adjusted as information becomes available.
    Why do you think that the Grand Canyon is millions of years old. Perhaps you believe that little river in the bottom ate away for millions of years? I suspect you have never heard of Hopi Lake? a The Grand Canyon is a breached dam.

As far as never hearing the 6000 year age of the earth, what kind of church were you in? Perhaps that might explain much of your lack of knowledge about the Bible.

As far as the belief in a 6000 yo earth by someone a thousand years ago, let me educate you on that issue as well:

How old is the Earth / 6182 / According to Judaism

You can easily research the issue for your self.

Now, back to the radiometric dating of the earth, please list the ASSUMPTIONS used in radiometric dating. The simple fact is that several of the factors used to DATE the earth are MADE UP by ASSUMPTIONS. In other words, they are using unknown values to find known values. This is a huge no no in mathematics. You must solve for the unknown values to be able to use known values to find the unknown. Look it up for yourself, but you are basing your eternity on the age of the earth with an illogical equation since it contains unknown values that CANNOT be proven or derived.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska444 View Post
    The Grand Canyon is a breached dam.
    Riiiight.
    As far as the belief in a 6000 yo earth by someone a thousand years ago, let me educate you on that issue as well:(URL to crazy earth life calculation web page)
    Talk about illogical, unsupported assumptions:
    The simple fact is that several of the factors used to DATE the earth are MADE UP by ASSUMPTIONS. In other words, they are using unknown values to find known values. This is a huge no no in mathematics.
    Dude I'm sorry, but talking about mathematical no-no's in accepted science in the next sentence after posting that web page by some crackpot espousing the tired old convienent theory that 1000 years = 1 day must really seem preposterous to any rational human being. It does to me, anyhow.

Thus, I hypothesize that Christians must by definition be irrational, therefore we can NOT be a Christian nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    Riiiight.

Dude I'm sorry, but talking about mathematical no-no's in accepted science in the next sentence after posting that web page by some crackpot espousing the tired old convienent theory that 1000 years = 1 day must really seem preposterous to any rational human being. It does to me, anyhow.
    2 Timothy 3:7. "always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth".
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

Taking it off-topic like that is one reason it's gone on so long.
    Off topic? I doubt, it's your unbelief in God that is off Topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Cooper View Post
    My bad. Mathew Caldwell is my great great grand father. His was one of the first six men appointed as Captains in the Texas Rangers.
    I see, so now he didn't help with the Texas Declaration of Independence he was one of the first Texas Rangers which was formed in January 1837. Sorry still a little far back for even a great great grandfather.

Riiiight.

Thus, I hypothesize that Christians must by definition be irrational, therefore we can NOT be a Christian nation.
    +1

Well, from my perspective, I guess when you look at the grand canyon, and where the river that runs through it actually ends and joins the ocean, and you see all the sediment that comes out with it... I guess that makes more since than a giant man with a blue ox made it with an ax. Or that it used to be a damn there, and now mysteriously there is no damn or anything that looks like a damn there.

I'm not an expert when it comes to radiometric measurements... but what I do know is that every element has a half life. And, knowing that half-life will allow for measurements of time with elements. sure very basic explanation but... seems like the jist to me. Makes more since than just because a book said so. Or because I found it on the internet as a reliable resource.

As for the 6000 year thing..Well since the bible was written, what approximately 1300 to 2000 years ago, then couldn't it be possible that people have learned a thing or two about sciences since then. Of course I guess from the original statement (from what I understand) that brought up the 6000 year topic, the earth was created 4K years before christ, then 2000 years afterward he was supposed to return... ummm well isn't the year 2010 now? So by your math he is 10 years late. OR is it that even say 1000 years ago, plenty of time since the bible was written, and the bible still had the same scripture in it, that the math still would have said the earth was 6000 years old. So no, I guess the church that I went to wasn't quite as crazy as the one that you go to. This seems to me to be another modern day example of how the church refuses to believe in science. (We've already discussed Galileo, and other similar blind eyes cast by the church)

You know what, I dont think that you, Alaska, really believes this. I think you are defending it just to be argumentative, and defensive. Especially as a doctor, you should be able to see how modern science (although not perfect) has created many different medicines to help people, and the different procedures used to help people as well. I am no expert in the healing field, but I'm pretty sure that we dont use leaches anymore, or that we still bleed people to get the sickness out. Or when a child catches the flu, I would be hard pressed to find any legit doctor to say its just that she is possessed by a demon. And would recommend a exorcism instead of meds...

Quote Originally Posted by bigrebnc1861 View Post
    Off topic? I doubt, it's your unbelief in God that is off Topic.
    Wow! that sure was a snappy comeback

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    2 Timothy 3:7. "always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth".
    This does some up the position of the church on a lot of aspects doesnt it? People are always learning, but the church still refuses to believe in it...

10. Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post
    This does some up the position of the church on a lot of aspects doesnt it? People are always learning, but the church still refuses to believe in it...
    Dear Onlinedad, you don't understand once again. What you believe is "science" is not. Since when does science use assumptions to prove an unknown age. Assumptions are a valid part a hypothesis ONCE they are proven. The age of the earth is one of the greatest hoaxes because all of their measurements are dependent on knowing the original conditions, some thing that CANNOT be known at all.

Likewise, the so called "science" of evolution. Darwin's theory was of slow gradual accumulated changes over time changing a frog into a prince with "time." However, that is not what is observed. Creatures in the fossil records do not have these slow gradual changes, they instead stay the same over time. Once again, that is the main point of Stephen J. Gould's Punctuated Equlibrium theory where rapid changes or saltations feeds evolution. Yet, this is never observed. In other words, the lack of evidence became his evidence. Is that science?

Punctuated Equilibrium

instead of a slow, continuous movement, evolution tends to be characterized by long periods of virtual standstill ("equilibrium"), "punctuated" by episodes of very fast development of new forms.

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/punctueq.html

You look at the Grand Canyon and because of the brainwashing of evolution which requires a huge age of the earth to work, and you BELIEVE that it took millions of years of a little tiny river eating away at the big hole in the ground. Some simple facts to consider, the Colorado river would have had to run up hill for millions of years to do what people believe it did. Where the Colorado river enters the canyon is lower than where it ends, something called the Kaibab Plateau. Are you aware that there is no accepted scientific theory today on how the Grand Canyon formed by secular scientists? Rivers do not run UPHILL, something called gravity prevents this. How did the Grand Canyon form my friend? Please tell me if you know. Tell me also how there are NO erosion marks between the layers alledged to be millions of years apart. Tell me how the oceans rose and shrank in between each of these "geologic" layers.

Rethinking the Formation of The Grand Canyon!

Why does it cut though a Plateau?

This summer more than three million tourists will venture to the rim of the Grand Canyon and are likely to feel their jaws drop as they gaze upon the world famous spectacle: a vast wilderness of rocks, deep gorges and a mighty river lost below cliffs, buttes and pinnacles festooned in pastel shades of purple, orange, pink and green.

Inevitably, some of these visitors will turn to a park ranger and ask: "How did the Grand Canyon get formed? Why did this happen here and nowhere else?"

The honest answer is that nobody knows. One hundred and thirty-one years after John Wesley Powell first mapped the Colorado River by riding its 161 rapids in heavy wooden boats, no one can prove how the canyon was formed.

http://www.grandcanyontreks.org/geology2.htm

So, Onlinedad, if you KNOW how the Grand Canyon formed, you are the only one in the world right now that does. I suspect you are completely ignorant of the fact that there is no prevailing theory of how it formed under the uniformitarian theories of the earths creation and it landmarks.

There is no problem explaining what is seen in the Grand Canyon from a creationist perspective. The only scientific experiment on how layers of sediment are formed is from Guy Berthault at the University of Colorado. The long held ASSUMPTION that layers are accumulated slowly over time, one on top of each other is only true in stagnent water that is not moving. On the other hand, in water that is moving which is all large bodies of water subject to wind and the sun and other forces of nature, the layers are layed down laterally and several parallel layers at the same time. Take 36 minutes of your time to learn about the only scientific experiment in a controlled laboratory setting on how sediments cause layers. It is NOT intuitively obvious a priori what you will observe in the following video with your own eyes. Open your eyes my friend, you are brainwashed.

Experiments In Stratification

America was founded on Christian principles. Sure some of the forefathers may not have represented that to the best but they came here to have religious freedom. The problem is that much of the Bible is written in parables or stories. This made it much easier to explain things to the people of the time. One example would be the Tower of Babble. We know that you can't build a tower to Heaven, in fact they wouldn't be able to build a tower above 10,000 feet because of oxygen requirements. But this was used to explain the different languages. I believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost. I also believe that God guided creation and not necessarily in 7 days. Does this demean the Lord in anyway? I don't believe so. Remember he allows us freedom of thought and choice. Many things have come about in this world because of that.