America is a Christian Nation - Page 49
Page 49 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

That our country, Constitution, and rule of law are based on Judeo-Christian premises and values is beyond dispute. There is plenty of evidence in the writings of the founders to support this. What the founders were against was the imposition of relgiosity by the gov't, i.e., a national religion like the Church of England. Thus, the 1st Amendment.

We are mixing up, IMO, 2 distinct issues: 1) Upon what value system was the country founded? and 2) what is the spiritual/religious inclination/composition of the populace?

My answer: the country was founded on J-C ethics and the majority of the populace today professes some allegience to that code of ethics. So, we are a Christian nation, at least as I loosely interpet the situation. Obviously, doesn't mean there isn't a place for non-believers or others of different faiths, but right now, they would appear to be a distinct minority.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    Weekendskp,

If you have ever experience the presence of the Holy Spirit you wouldn't have to study anything.

I just read this letter from Duke Bennett, he is the Tea Party organizer we traveled with to the Glenn Beck Rally in DC this past Summer. Duke was also a speaker at Our American Patriot Council Tea Party in Wellsburg, WVa in October.

Dear Editor:

I recently read an article written by a man who didn't believe in God. In fact he ridiculed people who do believe in God as ignorant and superstitious. He mocked people of faith by accusing them of "believing in an invisible sky god." To be more precise, his vitriol was aimed at Judeo-Christians and those who believe in the Bible. His argument was based solely in the thought that you can't see God, and in particular, he had never seen God, therefore he must not exist. To this end, I feel driven to pen these words.

To you who do not believe in God, you don't believe because you don't see? Can you see a dream with your eyes or touch it with your hands? Do you deny its existence? Can you see electricity or radio waves? These things can not be seen. Would you deny their existence? You can't see electricity, but you can see and experience the effects that it has on things it interacts with. Modern science has recently (in the last 250 years) re-discovered many of the laws regarding the workings of electricity and we are learning more and more every day. I say re-discovered because there is strong archaeological evidence to support the use and manipulation of electricity over 2500 years ago. (See Baghdad Battery) I strongly urge you not to violate any of the laws that govern the workings of electricity, the results can be most unpleasant, whether you believe in them or not. Now if something as commonplace as electricity has eluded our "vast knowledge" for over 2,500 years, how much more will the things of God elude us, especially when we do our very best to convince ourselves that He doesn't exist. "There are none so blind as those who will not see" (John Heywood 1546). By the way, when we violate the laws of God, the results are also quite unpleasant, in fact, they make electrocution seem rather mild.

People who say that they have heard the voice of God or have had some other kind of personal interaction with Him are often disbelieved or ridiculed by people who say "This can't be possible, it has never happened to me." That argument is absurd and the height of arrogance. Can this person experience everything every other person has experienced? Of course not, it is impossible and ridiculous. Is it possible to experience the exact same dream of another, or taste the same piece of pizza that I have just eaten? No, you may have a similar dream or taste something similar but never that same exact experience. So, how can we pass judgment on someone who has any kind of "experience?" To be truly open minded, we must be humble and admit to the possibility, whether we understand it or not or whether we experience it or not. Often, this is something that our pride won't let us do and foolish pride is a dangerous thing.

Pastor Duke Bennett

+1.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    That our country, Constitution, and rule of law are based on Judeo-Christian premises and values is beyond dispute. There is plenty of evidence in the writings of the founders to support this. What the founders were against was the imposition of relgiosity by the gov't, i.e., a national religion like the Church of England. Thus, the 1st Amendment.

We are mixing up, IMO, 2 distinct issues: 1) Upon what value system was the country founded? and 2) what is the spiritual/religious inclination/composition of the populace?

My answer: the country was founded on J-C ethics and the majority of the populace today professes some allegience to that code of ethics. So, we are a Christian nation, at least as I loosely interpet the situation. Obviously, doesn't mean there isn't a place for non-believers or others of different faiths, but right now, they would appear to be a distinct minority.

+1 thanks JJ.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

My answer: the country was founded on J-C ethics and the majority of the populace today professes some allegience to that code of ethics.
    Most Jews I know don't appreciate the Christian sects unilaterally adding "Judeo" to their assertions to give them credibility.

There are over 300 Christian sects in this country all professing different principals. They can't even agree on a version of the ten commandments, no less a set of principles.

And if we go by a majority, then the largest single belief system is that of Roman Catholics, so everyone should start going to confession every Saturday and forget about the born-again stuff.

The only thing we can derive from the founders' assertions about gods and government is that they envisioned the country they were creating as one which would adhere to the "Have-It-Yahweh" principle.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Most Jews I know don't appreciate the Christian sects unilaterally adding "Judeo" to their assertions to give them credibility.

There are over 300 Christian sects in this country all professing different principals. They can't even agree on a version of the ten commandments, no less a set of principles.

And if we go by a majority, then the largest single belief system is that of Roman Catholics, so everyone should start going to confession every Saturday and forget about the born-again stuff.

The only thing we can derive from the founders' assertions about gods and government is that they envisioned the country they were creating as one which would adhere to the "Have-It-Yahweh" principle.
    Your Jewish acquaintances must be pretty touchy. Ones I know have no problem with it at all.

You'll have to share those differing versions of the 10 Commandments followed by these different sects. This is news to me.

Roman Catholics are Christians.

No way do I accept the "have it Yahweh" (cute, btw) principle. Just too much written by the founders to negate this, IMO.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Declaration of Independence
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

Pretty much sums it up for me! Don't think they meant their Mom & Dad as their Creator.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

The issue of whether we are a Christian nation has already been decided by our leaders. In March 1991, George H.W. Bush ( the "Savior of Christian America, as seen by many Christian Fundamentalists,) signed into law a bill sponsored and passed by both political parties in both houses of Congress, This Public Law, PL 102-14, states for once and for all, that the United States and all democratic nations, are founded on the Noahide Laws listed in the Jewish Talmud, (they are not listed together in the Tanakh, Jewish Bible/Old Testament.) It also states that Rabbi Menachim Schneerson, considered by many of his followers to be the Messiah, is to be honored nationwide on his birthday with appropriate ceremonies and activities.

This a public law, meant for all Americans and it most definitely is not Christian in origin.

America needs to reverse its cranial-rectal inversion and decide just what does drive our law.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    The issue of whether we are a Christian nation has already been decided by our leaders. In March 1991, George H.W. Bush ( the "Savior of Christian America, as seen by many Christian Fundamentalists,) signed into law a bill sponsored and passed by both political parties in both houses of Congress, This Public Law, PL 102-14, states for once and for all, that the United States and all democratic nations, are founded on the Noahide Laws listed in the Jewish Talmud, (they are not listed together in the Tanakh, Jewish Bible/Old Testament.) It also states that Rabbi Menachim Schneerson, considered by many of his followers to be the Messiah, is to be honored nationwide on his birthday with appropriate ceremonies and activities.

This a public law, meant for all Americans and it most definitely is not Christian in origin.

America needs to reverse its cranial-rectal inversion and decide just what does drive our law.
    And of course, B. Hussein declared publicly that we were not a Christian nation.

This does not change historical facts or current reality, much as some want it to.

How about Islamo-Christian instead? Since the two religions evolved from the same origins.

Or on the number of sacrements, or on which translation of the cannon to use, or on a lot of other things.

Pre-Vatican II Catholic or Post-Vatican II Catholic?

Nice way of defining it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Declaration of Independence
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

Pretty much sums it up for me! Don't think they meant their Mom & Dad as their Creator.
    Of the 90 members that made up the first congress, 78 were Elders in their Church.
    In 1948, only 2% of Americans said they have no religion.
    In 2008, 22% of Americans said the very same thing.
    I wonder what today’s number is?

The Founders did not take lightly their belief in God and God’s intervention in their daily lives, and the hand God played in the development of this Country when they adopted, “In God We Trust” as the Nations motto.
    Or when they required all witnesses who testify in court to swear before God on the Holy Bible.

America was a Christian Nation.
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower