America is a Christian Nation - Page 5
Page 5 of 156 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

1. Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post
    just by some of the comments in this thread, and by other similar threads of religious discussions, should be enough for most to understand why we should not have any religious affiliation within our govt. All of the replies have been argumentative. There are too many different opinions when it comes to religion. The christians will complain that this is a christian nation because our forefathers were of that belief. The jews will complain to not forget about them because they faught in the rev. war.

Throughout history there have been many different religions, and even now there are hundreds of different religions. Even established religions have different offshoots. How can ANY govt claim that one religion is better than another. Especially our (the U.S. govt or country, is what I reffer to when I say our) that is made up of many different peoples, from many different places, and from many different beliefs; regardless of what our founding fathers religious backgrounds were.

I believe that our founding fathers had the intention that "everyman is created equal", and that the intention was to form a country with high moral fiber that would treat every citizen the the respect that he/she deserves. Not that when people came to our country, or the citizens already in the country had to follow whatever religious beliefs that were being observed by the founders.

I do think that religion (generally speaking) can have a useful place in society. Where a religion can teach morals, and love for fellow man. However, religion is not a requirement in order to teach these things. This is where our country has started going afoul. Either the people in office have either never been taught these basic fundementals, or they have simply forgotten. They have been corrupted by greed and power, and are no longer looking out for the best interests of the people. But to say that this is because of a lack of religion in our govt is rediculous. How can we justify that a govt should have a religious background, when there is no concrete evidence or proof (other than a book that was written by man, and editted over many different times by men) to make a definate conclusion that a religion is true?
    Dear Onlinedad,

First, the question is whether America is a Christian nation, not how to best influence the government. There are hundreds of documents in the first two hundred years of our history and beyond that do show that being a Christian was at the beginning a requirement in many states and localities to be a part of the government. I refer to the example from MA above.

Secondly, there are many of which I am in agreement that a large part of the trouble that we are in today is because of the lack of the blessing of God anymore. We turned from Him, not the other way around. If you would simply go to the original source documents you shall see indeed that there is profound evidence that America was a Christian nation up until the last two generations, mine and my children's. Quite easy to demonstrate this if needed.

Thirdly, when I was a teenager, somewhere, and at some time I heard that if you ask God to show Himself to you, He will. Well, when I was about 19 years old I did that running down a road in PA surrounded by woods and corn and cows. Perhaps I didn't have ears to hear for 16 years, but He did exactly fulfill that to me when I was 36 years old.

Jeremiah 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find [me], when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

God makes many promises and keeps them all.

Lastly, you ask for proof that the Bible is true and I have one word for you: Israel. Think about it a little. Learn what the Bible has to say about the issue. Is there proof, as Sarah says: you betchya. In addition, is this an argumentive reply or simply factual?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    To make the statement "America is a Christian nation" is simply unadulterated religious bigotry. It seeks to exclude believers of other faith and fosters an attitude of resentment and hostility towards anyone not of the Christian faith.

Pure and simple bigotry.
    Dear Cocked and Locked, how do you respond to the MA 1780 constitution requiring an oath of allegience to Christianity and further to believe it is the truth? The question is was America a Christian nation? That answer is absolutely yes at its start, but today is quite debatable and I would even concede that we no longer are a Christian nation. Keeping to the topic, who can dispute the religious requirement for holding office in MA? Bigotry? or perhaps more to the point, evidence that America was indeed founded as a Christian nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska444 View Post
    Dear Cocked and Locked, how do you respond to the MA 1780 constitution requiring an oath of allegience to Christianity and further to believe it is the truth? The question is was America a Christian nation? That answer is absolutely yes at its start, but today is quite debatable and I would even concede that we no longer are a Christian nation. Keeping to the topic, who can dispute the religious requirement for holding office in MA? Bigotry? or perhaps more to the point, evidence that America was indeed founded as a Christian nation.
    +1. If a person is not a Christian that is his business. If a person however fails to see and understand American history then he deceives himself.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Beware a Theocracy

I'll suggest that our Nation is strong, not because we are a Christian Nation, but a United Nation. You can argue the fine points to your hearts delight. The fact is our Nation was, is, and will always be very diverse. No matter how hard you pray, a whole lot of people will have beliefs very different from yours or mine, and yet are just as much Citizens of the great Nation, entitled to the same protections under the Constitution.
    When you are able to see that despite many differences, we are a United States, then you will see E Pluribus Unum means: From Many, One
    That means one Nation, not one Religion.

The question is was America a Christian nation? That answer is absolutely yes at its start, but today is quite debatable and I would even concede that we no longer are a Christian nation. .
    There are Christians living in America, that is the extent of anything Christian about America today. Same as in any country throughout the world where there are Christians. In fact, it's been said that If God doesn't judge America, He will have to apologize for Sodom & Gomorrah. Even Sodom & Gomorrah in all it's depravity doesn't even hold a candle to America today. I loved the country that I grew up in, but that country no longer exists. The only thing about America today that is the same about the America I once knew, is the name, America.
    In America today, it's considered worse to judge evil than to do evil. Never let these Christophobic Liberal Progressive Purveyors of Infanticide & Homosexual Perversion who always manipulate truth to be hate speech set the terms in a debate.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieDogLVR View Post
    I'll suggest that our Nation is strong, not because we are a Christian Nation, but a United Nation. You can argue the fine points to your hearts delight. The fact is our Nation was, is, and will always be very diverse. No matter how hard you pray, a whole lot of people will have beliefs very different from yours or mine, and yet are just as much Citizens of the great Nation, entitled to the same protections under the Constitution.
    When you are able to see that despite many differences, we are a United States, then you will see E Pluribus Unum means: From Many, One
    That means one Nation, not one Religion.
    I will have to disagree. This country is more divided then it ever has. that also includes 1861

Quote Originally Posted by bigrebnc1861 View Post
    I will have to disagree. This country is more divided then it ever has. that also includes 1861
    +1 To say the least.
    In America today, it's considered worse to judge evil than to do evil. Never let these Christophobic Liberal Progressive Purveyors of Infanticide & Homosexual Perversion who always manipulate truth to be hate speech set the terms in a debate.

Dear Onlinedad,

First, the question is whether America is a Christian nation, not how to best influence the government. There are hundreds of documents in the first two hundred years of our history and beyond that do show that being a Christian was at the beginning a requirement in many states and localities to be a part of the government. I refer to the example from MA above.

Secondly, there are many of which I am in agreement that a large part of the trouble that we are in today is because of the lack of the blessing of God anymore. We turned from Him, not the other way around. If you would simply go to the original source documents you shall see indeed that there is profound evidence that America was a Christian nation up until the last two generations, mine and my children's. Quite easy to demonstrate this if needed.

Lastly, you ask for proof that the Bible is true and I have one word for you: Israel. Think about it a little. Learn what the Bible has to say about the issue. Is there proof, as Sarah says: you betchya. In addition, is this an argumentive reply or simply factual?
    To respond to your first point, I am not disagreeing that there was alot of christian influence in the history of America and its conception. The original question of "is America a christian nation" is what I have the issue with. How can we, as a country, state that we are a _______ Nation. No matter what religion you put into that blank. America is comprised of many different peoples and different beliefs. To say that we are just one of those religious factions, pretty much excludes everyone else (even if you are nice to them). And, for our govt to openly state that we are _______ Nation would be just as outlandish.

Secondly, to say that our country is starting to swirl in the bowl, just because it no longer believes in god seems just the same as saying that children stop being good when they no longer believe in Santa Claus. Just because you no longer believe that your imaginary friend is real does not automatically convert you into a convict. The problem that we have in our country that is causing us to suffer, is the overall greed and ruthless search for power. We no longer have the same bond with our fellow countrymen as was once there. Big business will screw over its own customers just to get a buck. We have sent many many jobs overseas. Turning us into a primaraly consumer nation. So now our economy is based on how much we spend, or how much we can spend on credit. With most of that money ending up overseas.... sorry start getting carried away and straying from point.

Lastly can you expand on what you mean by what the bible says about Israel? I was forceably raised as christian, so I am not completely ignorant of the subject, but what you are reffering to lacks enough detail for me to follow your logic. If you are trying to say something along the lines that the bible has made prophecies about Israel that are starting to come true... well should I bring up all of the different prophecies that have been made over time? Nostradaumus made many predictions, but his predictions haven't justified a religious following, nor have not been accepted as proof of fact that all of his predictions will come true. Even a broken watch can be right twice a day (unless it digital darn that new fangled technology prooving all our old traditions wrong ).

onlinedad may have found the key

To quote onlinedad:

The problem that we have in our country that is causing us to suffer, is the overall greed and ruthless search
    for power. We no longer have the same bond with our fellow countrymen as was once there.

Could it be that the problem that he recognizes in our country is indeed a result of a falling away from our Christian roots? I agree that this country was indeed founded on Christian principles. One would be illiterate or in stubborn denial to believe otherwise after reading documents from the Founding Fathers. That should be self-evident. We have slipped away. Far away. From onlinedad's viewpoint, I can see where he would claim that the above is a root problem with our nation today. However, (now I am thickening my skin for the replies), when viewed from the perspective of one who believes in God, I can easily see where this is due to our falling away from those roots. (Where do these morals that everyone speaks of come from anyway? Think about that.) My complaint would be that, everyone says that all religions should be accepted. I however, have found that this is not true. All religions, with the exception of Christianity, are accepted. As a member of a Christian group, I have found my rights are constantly being eroded. Memorials that have stood for DECADES, or placed for comfort of grieving families or friends are constantly being attacked. If we are going to accept all, we need to be intellectually honest as citizens and indeed, accept all. Perhaps, more telling would be to see who is bringing about the difficulty that we, as Christians, are facing. I would suggest it is the same group of people that say they want religious freedoms (more like freedom from religion) and as a result I am being denied as well. Is this equitable?

I would commend all of you for a thoughtful, rational discussion without the rancor we've often seen displayed. Well done.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Page 5 of 156 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast