America is a Christian Nation - Page 51
Page 51 of 156 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

Quote Originally Posted by bootsdeal View Post
    The drawing away from... ...Christian values by the leaders of this country has happenned slowly buy surely, primarily in the last 50 years.
    Actually it has been even longer than that. Try closer to 80 years, at least.

Why, because Christians have not continued to stand up, speak up, and demand from their politicians that this country continue to stand on Christian values.
    No, it is because Christians have pushed there views on everyone and people are tired of it. Christians have given us the Dread Scot Decision, the Prohibition, The National Firearms Act of 1934, opposition to letting black people serve in the military (it's our nation not their's), opposition to letting black people vote or hold political office, opposition to integration of schools, the war on drugs, the Vietnam War, Runaway entitlement spending, the wellfare system, the "Dell Wilkes Act", and three Middle-eastern wars that a lot of people question the value of.

Now, we're paying the price as this country continues to go down the sewer.
    A path that the Christians have pushed us down.

It's time we who believe in Christian values let our voice be known in every election that we vote in.
    Those values have gotten us away from our founding principles and into the mess we are in.

Further, we should openly, but in a Christian spirit, never fail to indignant towards sinful things that are tearing this country apart -- things such as homosexuality, murdering of unborn babies, failure of parents to teach and nurture their children, and on and on.
    So we should adopt a Christain form of Sharia?

G: Two good quotes: "There can be no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." Machiavelli. "Hell is truth seen too late." H G. Adams.

"So we should adopt a Christain form of Sharia? Posted by G50AE."

That is exactly what the Christian Right does mean. Check Leviticus and Deuteronomy. That is where the Prophet, blessings be upon his name, got the ideas for Sharia Law.I am Christian, but follow the New Testament not the TANAKH (Old Testament). "Be in this world but not of it," Politics and faith are not compatible, live a Christian life with your family, but don't try to govern others by your faith.

The Constitution of the United States is the source document for governing our country, not scripture.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    The United States is a country where approximately 75% of the population claims belief in at least one of the various Christian denominations or cults.

Christianity has absolutely nothing to do with the nation as a whole and religion is strictly separated from governmental matters as a matter of policy.

Just because you keep saying it over and over doesn't make it true.
    I dunno. I've read the Constitution and often carry a paper back one. I've read various papers related to that work also, written by those responsible for writing "unalienable" (from God) rights for us into them. God is mentioned over and over and maybe it's just me, but budha or mohamed are not mentioned.

Seperation of church and state was created to keep government out of our churches but has been bastrdized into an attempt at keeping God out of our lives.

My .02, but I'd have you read the above mentioned documents...
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Bottom line... you cannot force religion upon anyone. This is a country of many religions and faiths, and that's not going to change. Many religions encourage you to "spread the word", that doesn't mean force it and mock others for not following it. Everyone has the right to believe whatever they want, and if you disagree with that then too bad, and more importantly stay out of politics. You cannot claim to be a good person if you dislike others for what they believe, that's elementary. Your day is not ruined if your neighbor prays differently or not at all. You will still wake up tomorrow, and life will go on. This is a really stupid thing to argue about. -end rant

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post

That is exactly what the Christian Right does mean. Check Leviticus and Deuteronomy. That is where the Prophet, blessings be upon his name, got the ideas for Sharia Law.I am Christian, but follow the New Testament not the TANAKH (Old Testament). "Be in this world but not of it," Politics and faith are not compatible, live a Christian life with your family, but don't try to govern others by your faith.

The Constitution of the United States is the source document for governing our country, not scripture.
    From what you have written, I have serious questions about what religion you actually are. You wrote, "That is where the Prophet, blessings be upon his name, got the ideas for Sharia law." Isn't Sharia law an Islamic system of laws? Who is the prophet you are referring to? Muhammad? You also say that you do not follow the Tanakh (Old Testament). The Tanakh, or Jewish Bible, is essentially the same as the Christian Old Testament and is in three parts, Torah (Teaching, Law); Nevi'im (Prophets); Ketuvim (Writings, Haglographa). You may not believe in the Old Testament but a lot of modern day laws have been derived from it. Are we to go by Sharia law and stone to death people convicted of having pre-marital sex or a woman for having been raped? Haven't we become a little more civilized than that? Are you a believer in a triune God? Jesus Christ as the Son of God? The Holy Spirit? I truly hope you are. I know that I will get a lot of flak for writing this but I am a big boy and well rooted in my faith. Comes with the territory.

Of course Sharia has its roots in the Old Testament, Muslims accept the Old Testament and to a lesser extent the New Testament as cannonically valid scripture. Islam is an off-shoot of Christianity similar to the Mormons, who add their additional scripture as part of their cannon.

From the perspective of a Jewish person, Christianity, Mormanism, and Islam are forms of Judahism that add extra figures and scriptures that Jews do not incorperate into their religion. From the perspective of Christians, Muslims and Mormons are people who practice modified versions of Christianity that incorperate extra prophets and scriptures the ordinary christians do not. From the perspective of a Morman or Muslim, Jews and Christians practice primative forms of Mormanism or Islam as the case may be, that do not incorporate all of the figures and scripture of the full religion.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joe3228 View Post
    Bottom line... you cannot force religion upon anyone. This is a country of many religions and faiths, and that's not going to change. Many religions encourage you to "spread the word", that doesn't mean force it and mock others for not following it. Everyone has the right to believe whatever they want, and if you disagree with that then too bad, and more importantly stay out of politics. You cannot claim to be a good person if you dislike others for what they believe, that's elementary. Your day is not ruined if your neighbor prays differently or not at all. You will still wake up tomorrow, and life will go on. This is a really stupid thing to argue about. -end rant
    I agree with your argument.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Yes that's the whole point imo

When I mention the prophet and add "blessings upon his name" I do it out of respect for Muslim Americans as this is the proper way to refer to Mohammed, just like most Christians add "our Lord" when mentioning Jesus.

The Tanakh is not the same as the Old Testament. Although probably 85% similar, many passages are worded completely different from the OT. The OT was reworded by Christian church to match the NT. The TANAKH follows the old Aramaic, Greek and Hebrew wording. It is a Jewish book , written by Jews and for Jews. When I study the "old book" I use the TANAKH. I use a Greek Interlinear to study the NT.

You mention the horror of Sharia Law. The Mosaic Law in the OT requires that a divorced man and his wife be stoned to death if either remarries. It also requires the stoning to death of a unruly child. All of the old codes were harsh regardless of which culture. OT Law is just as violent and unforgiving as Sharia Law. Yeshua ben Joseph, the Nazarene, taught us an entirely different code in the NT.

The Supreme Court building not only has Moses on the frieze but also Mohammed, Confucious, Solon and many others. Moses is not in a place of prominence on the frieze. Most of the forefathers were Deist or Unitarian btw and did not believe in a triune GOD but in one GOD. Trying to tie Christianity to the Constitution is wrong. However there is a strong reference to GOD in all of our writings, they don't identify how to define GOD. In short they don't give a mailing address, they use the Generic term GOD for the creator and don't say by whose religion.