America is a Christian Nation - Page 58
Page 58 of 156 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 1554

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

  1. #571
    Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    The Bible was the book most referenced by the founders and the guideing force behind the Constitution,
    Which of the many versions of the bibles do you think they were referencing?

    Jefferson wrote his own bible. Paine didn't believe a word of any of the bibles. And the rest were probably busy reading the more interesting parts: And Adam Knew Eve: A Dictionary of Sex in the Bible

  2.   
  3. #572
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Creswell, Oregon
    Posts
    3,865
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Which of the many versions of the bibles do you think they were referencing?

    Jefferson wrote his own bible. Paine didn't believe a word of any of the bibles. And the rest were probably busy reading the more interesting parts: And Adam Knew Eve: A Dictionary of Sex in the Bible
    This would only matter to people that take the Bible literally. The Bible, no matter which version, is easily taken out of context to fit what ever agenda, as you would known. You have to take into account the age in which it was written and the people of the time it was written for originally. It's a reference book, a guide for living your life. In my opinion.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

  4. #573
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ohio
    Posts
    766
    Blog Entries
    10

    Wild Bill Agrees America is a Christian Nation



    As Wild Bill says, "God Bless America Again"
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

  5. #574
    "Thats fine that you want to keep your culture, just as long as your culture does not impose itself on me"

    Jumping in late and as I was reading through all these posts, this statement from onlinedad just got away with me. As he has stated this nation was founded as a Christian nation over 200 years ago, I would say that he being on this earth far less than that 200 years, is imposing himself on the Christian culture. Should the culture be changed just because more and more people don't like it? It is the Christian culture that made us a great nation, it is the lack of Christian culture, that has made us a nation of greedy, liers, and crooked politicians. Just my 2c

  6. #575
    The United States is a nation composed primarily of Christians. That society decided very early in its forming to allow and tolerate all religious beliefs and not allow the Government of the United States to limit or disallow any faith. I think it is fair to say we are a nation composed mostly of Christians, but to label the country as a "Christian Nation" with "Nation" denoting the government is to destroy the founding fathers' original intent.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher,Independent Voter, Goldwater Conservative.

  7. #576
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ohio
    Posts
    766
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    The United States is a nation composed primarily of Christians. That society decided very early in its forming to allow and tolerate all religious beliefs and not allow the Government of the United States to limit or disallow any faith. I think it is fair to say we are a nation composed mostly of Christians, but to label the country as a "Christian Nation" with "Nation" denoting the government is to destroy the founding fathers' original intent.
    I think the Founders Original Intent was "We are a Christian Nation"

    While we are zealously performing the duties of good citizens and soldiers, we certainly ought not to be inattentive to the higher duties of religion. To the distinguished character of Patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian."
    George Washington


    "Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."
    Thomas Jefferson


    "Suppose a nation in some distant Region should take the Bible for their only law Book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God ... What a Eutopia, what a Paradise would this region be."
    John Adams



    "The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity. I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God."
    John Adams


    "Resistance to tyranny becomes the Christian and social duty of each individual. ... Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us."
    John Hancock

    "Here is my Creed. I believe in one God, the Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That He ought to be worshipped.”
    Benjamin Franklin

    “The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on Earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet than live on his knees!”
    ---George Washington---
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

  8. #577
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ohio
    Posts
    766
    Blog Entries
    10
    [QUOTE=Mountain man;251521 It is the Christian culture that made us a great nation, it is the lack of Christian culture, that has made us a nation of greedy, liers, and crooked politicians. Just my 2c[/QUOTE]

    Very, Very, True
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

  9. #578
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    An Alternate Reality, I Assure You...
    Posts
    5,115
    >> Mountain Man,
    "It is the Christian culture that made us a great nation, it is the lack of Christian culture, that has made us a nation of greedy, liers, and crooked politicians. Just my 2c"

    I do not practice religion. I am not greedy, a liar, nor a crooked politician.

    So what's so wrong with me then? I live by morals and values based on human rights, things all beings(including animals/plants, etc) deserve simply by being alive.

    So, since I do not pray to god I am not just, righteous, and forgiving? I am not worthy of what? Tell me, please.

    One does not have to practice religion to be a good person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

  10. #579
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Creswell, Oregon
    Posts
    3,865
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    >> Mountain Man,
    "It is the Christian culture that made us a great nation, it is the lack of Christian culture, that has made us a nation of greedy, liers, and crooked politicians. Just my 2c"

    I do not practice religion. I am not greedy, a liar, nor a crooked politician.

    So what's so wrong with me then? I live by morals and values based on human rights, things all beings(including animals/plants, etc) deserve simply by being alive.

    So, since I do not pray to god I am not just, righteous, and forgiving? I am not worthy of what? Tell me, please.

    One does not have to practice religion to be a good person.
    Gunnerbob you are making the mistake of taking Mountain man's comment personal. That's part of the problem with today's society. He is speaking of a culture not a specific religion. Just because you don't practice a specific religion doesn't mean you don't know right from wrong.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

  11. #580
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    An Alternate Reality, I Assure You...
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by fuhr52 View Post
    Gunnerbob you are making the mistake of taking Mountain man's comment personal. That's part of the problem with today's society. He is speaking of a culture not a specific religion. Just because you don't practice a specific religion doesn't mean you don't know right from wrong.
    Fair enough I suppose
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Similar Threads

  1. Judge Declares Prayer Unconstitutional - Here's What You Can Do
    By Conservative Wife & Mom in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 08:48 PM
  2. Obama & The Progressives Planned Destruction of America...
    By Bohemian in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 05:57 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 07:32 PM
  4. Is America No Longer a Christian Nation?
    By HK4U in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 11:48 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 09:34 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast