America is a Christian Nation - Page 75
Page 75 of 156 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

Howdy,

Actually the term "In God We Trust" didn't become the official motto until 1956, didn't appear on coins until 1863, has appeared on paper money only since 1957.

The USA had been around for 180 years before it became the official motto.

Paul.
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Uh? The largest single christian group in the US is Roman Catholic, the "Christians" who wrote the bible, the original Christians, the ones the make-believe Christians broke away from when they wanted to get divorced.

So America isn't a "Christian"nation ina generic sense, it is a Roman Catholic nation. Those of you who have rejected the one true Jesus of the Roman Catholic church will burn in hell's fire.
    Sorry Not True

The Supreme Court has stated on numerous occasions that to most people freedom of religion is the most precious of all unalienable rights next to life its self.

When the Constitution was founded there were at least 7 States had officially established religious denominations.

Connecticut (Congregational Church)

Delaware (Christian Faith)

Maryland (Christian Faith)

Massachusetts (Congregational Church)

New Hampshire (Protestant Faith)

New Jersey (Protestant Faith)

South Carolina (Protestant Faith)

Under these circumstances the Founders felt it would be catastrophic and might cause civil strife if the Federal Government tried to establish a national policy on religion or disestablish the denominations which the States had adopted.

That is why the 2nd. Amendment says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

Actually the term "In God We Trust" didn't become the official motto until 1956, didn't appear on coins until 1863, has appeared on paper money only since 1957.

The USA had been around for 180 years before it became the official motto.

Paul.
    Your right Paul, that was before America was taken over by the Communist.

They knew America could only be defeated if God and Christianity were removed.
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

The United States has been considered a Christian nation for many, many years but never so designated in writing. The Founding Fathers make mention of God several times in their writings and, in the First Amendment to the Constitution, states that there would not be any laws establishing any religion but would authorize the free exercise of religion. The U.S. did, in the Barbary Treaties (1786 - 1816), [I]Treaty of Peace and Friendship, Article 11[/I, signed in Tripoli, November 4, 1796], disavow our being founded on the Christian religion.

"ARTICLE 11.

As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Therefore, unless the United States formally states, in some document prescribed by law, that we are a Christian nation, we are not officially able to claim that distinction. WE can, however, in our minds and hearts, claim ourselves to be Christian and I think statistics will show that Christianity is the prevailing religion of our country.

Avalon Project - The Barbary Treaties 1786-1816 - Treaty of Peace and Friendship, Signed at Tripoli November 4, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    Sorry Not True

The Supreme Court has stated on numerous occasions that to most people freedom of religion is the most precious of all unalienable rights next to life its self.

When the Constitution was founded there were at least 7 States had officially established religious denominations.

Connecticut (Congregational Church)

Delaware (Christian Faith)

Maryland (Christian Faith)

Massachusetts (Congregational Church)

New Hampshire (Protestant Faith)

New Jersey (Protestant Faith)

South Carolina (Protestant Faith)

Under these circumstances the Founders felt it would be catastrophic and might cause civil strife if the Federal Government tried to establish a national policy on religion or disestablish the denominations which the States had adopted.

That is why the 2nd. Amendment says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"
    might want to try that again...

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    The United States has been considered a Christian nation for many, many years but never so designated in writing. WE can, however, in our minds and hearts, claim ourselves to be Christian and I think statistics will show that Christianity is the prevailing religion of our country.
    Religion is man getting to God man's way, any way except Christ. Therefor the so called Christian "Religion" has the form of Godliness but denies the power thereof. Christianity is a faith. Christianity is man "Born Again" getting to God God's way, through faith in Christ only. Therefor I agree with you, statistics will show that Christianity as a religion is the prevailing religion of our country.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

8. I have a hard time accepting the notion that the First Amendment was designed to protect the majority religion(s). The majority is rarely in need of protection. It is always minority religions which face having their rights and beliefs suppressed. While there is no doubt that the signers of the Declaration were Christian:

Religious Affiliation of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence

I have a hard time believing that they were thinking only about their own religion. If you visit the National Museum of Jewish History in Philadelphia, they have on exhibition of letters from George Washington clearly stating that Judaism was a religion which our new nation was sworn to protect. Incidentally, the documents are on loan from a major Catholic Archdiocese. I found one of the letters online together with some other relevant information:

George Washington Letter

The thing that gets me about this argument is the fact that the signers of the Constitution were some of the most well read people of the time. Anyone who has ever visited Jefferson or Adam's homes would be struck by the quality of their libraries. They were certainly aware of the other religions of the world and knew a great deal about their tenants. In my mind, if they wished to protect only Christian religions, they would have said so. As I've previously quoted, there are nearly contemporaneous writings about Islam being protected. I focus on Judaism only because there were significant Jewish communities in our newly formed country and it is clearly not a "Christian religion."

9. Quote Originally Posted by Atty Stu View Post
    I have a hard time accepting the notion that the First Amendment was designed to protect the majority religion(s). The majority is rarely in need of protection. It is always minority religions which face having their rights and beliefs suppressed. While there is no doubt that the signers of the Declaration were Christian:

I have a hard time believing that they were thinking only about their own religion. If you visit the National Museum of Jewish History in Philadelphia, they have on exhibition of letters from George Washington clearly stating that Judaism was a religion which our new nation was sworn to protect. Incidentally, the documents are on loan from a major Catholic Archdiocese. I found one of the letters online together with some other relevant information:

George Washington Letter

The thing that gets me about this argument is the fact that the signers of the Constitution were some of the most well read people of the time. Anyone who has ever visited Jefferson or Adam's homes would be struck by the quality of their libraries. They were certainly aware of the other religions of the world and knew a great deal about their tenants. In my mind, if they wished to protect only Christian religions, they would have said so. As I've previously quoted, there are nearly contemporaneous writings about Islam being protected. I focus on Judaism only because there were significant Jewish communities in our newly formed country and it is clearly not a "Christian religion."
    The three things most conspicuously and disingenuously ignored--and intentionally fabricated and misrepresented--by "Christian nation" proponents are facts, history, and constitutional law.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty Stu View Post
    I have a hard time accepting the notion that the First Amendment was designed to protect the majority religion(s). The majority is rarely in need of protection. It is always minority religions which face having their rights and beliefs suppressed. While there is no doubt that the signers of the Declaration were Christian:

George Washington Letter

I contend that you are conflating two incompatible premises. One, that saying that America is a Christian nation (in the context of the OP that described the premise he was putting forth fairly well - four years and 748 posts ago) is, two, tantamount to saying that other religions are not equally protected. Of course your free rights of exercise of your Jewish faith is every bit as protected by the 1st Amendment as practitioners of the Christian faith's rights are. Who has suggested otherwise?

After four years of a thread remaining active, the only truly contentious posts come from unabashed atheists, not from members of different faiths discussing the OP or the thrust of its message. The OP used a very objective metric from which to draw his conclusion that America is a Christian nation. Perhaps you should read it and see if he intended to marginalize your 1st Amendment rights as a Jew in any way, shape, manner or form. Or you could even ask him the question. He's posted in this thread here, here, here, here and here just this week, and I don't see a single word in his posts that attempts to deny protections or free exercise rights of any religion in any of his posts. He simply continues to clarify and/or promulgate the original thesis of his OP.

Methinks you're looking for attackers where there are none. nosreme, nogods, jhodge and possibly others that I'm forgetting continually attack the validity of all faiths. They are outspoken atheists, and use ridicule, dismissiveness, blasphemy and what appears to most Believers to be hatred of even the notion that there is a god, much less which faith follows the One True God as we Christians believe we do, and you believe you do etc. etc. Regardless of whether or not you accept the premise of the OP (after hopefully reading it to see what the thread was intended to be about), we Christians are not your detractors, and certainly not your rights-deniers. For the most part, we take our Constitution as literally as we take our Bible. Just the other day nosreme responded to the same person who made the OP in this thread in another thread by saying that the Establishment Clause was "anti-religion." Now, you as an attorney, or as a man of faith simply cannot believe that, lest you expose yourself as both constitutionally illiterate and lacking the good sense that God gave you.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

11. ...Just the other day nosreme responded to the same person who made the OP in this thread in another thread by [URL="http://www.usacarry.com/forums/politics/45310-will-your-representative-vote-status-quo.html#post527322"]saying that the Establishment Clause was "anti-religion."...[/QUOTE]

Of course, I said nothing of the sort. It's telling how you removed the operative word "-establishment" from your intentionally misleading quote. This kind of disingenuous selectivity is to be expected, however.