America is a Christian Nation - Page 84
Page 84 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Fear of the irrational is why people believe in the absurd, like sky daddies and all the nonsense that goes along with imaginary friends/foes.

In the same vain, you probably don't fear being eaten by a Tyrannosaurus Rex, for the simple reason you know they do not exist. (or are you one of those YEC that believe man and dinosaurs walked together?)
    Come on man! LOL anyone that reads.. can see that is some crazy stuff right there!

sinful nature is always hostile to God....

This is a topic is so broad itís almost impossible to give a concise answer to it, the best I can do is tell you what I believe.

America was definitely founded on Judeo/ Christian principles but I donít think it ever was or ever was intended to be a ďChristianĒ nation.

Regardless of the founderís intentions Iím almost positive that it was never Godís intention. I donít see anywhere in the bible where Christians are instructed to set up Godís government on Earth. Weíre to acknowledge that while we live on this Earth it isnít our home and we donít have our citizenship here. So regardless of the Law or the government of America my first loyalty is to God.

I also donít believe that Christianity is about imposing some code of moral ethics on the rest of the world. Israel tried that with the law and failed miserably from the outset.

The law is Godís standard; the Bible states clearly that if you want to get into Heaven by the Law you have to adhere to it perfectly and that canít be done. The Bible also says that the Law was given so that every mouth may be stopped and that the whole World would see their guilt before Him. IOW no one can look at their behavior in light of Godís law and claim to be righteous in Godís eyes.

So I look at the Law and I see my own unrighteousness. I see that Iím unworthy and guilty before a Holy God. At this point Iím hopeless except that God has made provision for my guilt in the person of Jesus Christ. As I accept Christís sacrifice on my behalf God does a work in my heart and I receive a new nature.

When I became a Christian my world view was radically altered and the result of that altered world view was a radical change in my behavior. Think the mistake that a lot of Christians (including me) make is believing that the changed behavior brings about the changed world view instead of the reverse.

The simplest example I can give is my drinking, prior to becoming a Christian I want to A.A. to offset my craving to drink alcohol (I realize this is oversimplified) after I became a Christian and my nature was changes I simply lost interest in alcohol. Thereís alcohol in my home now and most of the time I donít even notice itís there.

I realize alcohol is a poor analogy for sin because while I can completely remove alcohol from my life I canít completely remove sin but the underlying principle is valid.

God never called the first century Christians to change the Roman Empire or impose their values on it. He called them to live their lives in the sight of the Romans acknowledging that their loyalty to God outweighed their loyalty to Caesar even if it cost them their lives ( So no blue laws).

He also didnít call Christians to speak out against child sacrifice, He called them to preach another God than Moloch and as a result of people turning form Moloch to the One, True, God Child sacrifice stopped ( At least until Margret Sanger showed up) Iím not saying that Christians shouldnít honestly speak out against the horrors of abortion but we shouldnít be bombing abortion clinics either.

So thatís my pitiful attempt to explain my point of view. No American isnít a Christian nation it never was, it never will be and I donít think it was ever intended to be.
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Farmhood View Post
    Come on man! LOL anyone that reads.. can see that is some crazy stuff right there!

Come on man, are you not beyond school yard taunts.....
    ďReligion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.Ē ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Regardless of the founder’s intentions I’m almost positive that it was never God’s intention. I don’t see anywhere in the bible where Christians are instructed to set up God’s government on Earth.
    The intentions are not of any god, but of man suffering under the delusions that gods exist. And the middle east and terrorism we witness today are caused by the same thing, the delusion of man that gods exist. The greatest threat to civilization that exists on the planet today.

You base your argument on a foundation that is all fluff and delusion, thus it fails.
    ďReligion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.

The intentions are not of any god, but of man suffering under the delusions that gods exist. And the middle east and terrorism we witness today are caused by the same thing, the delusion of man that gods exist. The greatest threat to civilization that exists on the planet today.

You base your argument on a foundation that is all fluff and delusion, thus it fails.

I wasn't aware that I was arguing but OK
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Come on man, are you not beyond school yard taunts.....
    Don't know about the "school yard stuff" just repeated something I heard on Monday night football just like you repeated it...it's all good... a little crazy but good!

Quote Originally Posted by Farmhood View Post

So what is this 'sinful nature' you keep going on about?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    This is a topic is so broad itís almost impossible to give a concise answer to it, the best I can do is tell you what I believe.

America was definitely founded on Judeo/ Christian principles but I donít think it ever was or ever was intended to be a ďChristianĒ nation.

Regardless of the founderís intentions Iím almost positive that it was never Godís intention. .
    I believe the Founders were guided by God and we were a Christian Nation until around 1960 when the Communist lead by Satan started to make changes.

I attached a Movie trailer from the movie AGENDA it pretty much says the same thing.

I ordered a copy to show at our next Steubenville For Liberty meeting, your welcome to join us.

Trailer | Agenda: Grinding America Down (Documentary DVD)
    ďEvery step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.Ē Ė Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    This is one of the most frequently repeated myths on the internet. The hyper-religious actually believe it.
    I am not trying to contribute to any "myths" but only add a true experience I had the good fortune to witness. I had a very good friend, a retired Army officer, who had the misfortune to contract a fatal disease. The man was a devout Christian. I visited with him many times during his illness. Never did he at any time exhibit any fear of death, only waiting for his "homecoming." He chose me to do some of his final business transactions and we discussed his final wishes with his wife. It hurt me, as his friend, to listen to his final instructions and make the preparations for his death. It hurt me, not only as his friend, but not knowing how I would conduct myself in similar circumstances. I was at his home on his final morning dressing his uniform for his burial when he died. His death was so peaceful, just as if he was taking a nap. I still remember him very vividly. A few years later, I had the misfortune to come very close to death and will not hesitate to say that I prayed very fervently for a good death and to take it in stride as had my friend. After I had accepted that I might be on the way out, I had the most wonderful peace come over me and never felt away from the Lord. The nurse later told me that every time she came into my room, there was a detectable change there that she couldn't understand. I feel the Lord was with me at that time and I recovered. This may be something that others will use to ridicule me for but I know the truth. We all have that day coming and I most sincerely hope none meet it with fear.

Some time in the future, you will not remember your demonstration of intolerance for atheists, for you will just cease to exist, just like ant you stepped on in your drive today.

The difference is that you will have spent your time in anticipation of your death, I choose to spend mine enjoying living.
    You keep using the word "intolerance", but I don't think you know what it really means. We as Christians are very tolerant of atheists. atheists as a whole are the ones intolerant of Christianity. How many lawsuits have you heard of where the "tolerant" atheists say that a cross or a nativity scene, or anything else to do with Christianity offends them? How many cases have you seen brought against athiests?
    -
    Atheists being "offended" by Christianity (though they never have a problem with muslims) is as annoying as gays being "offended" by anything heterosexual.
    Chief