America is a Christian Nation - Page 95
Page 95 of 156 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    Atheists are attracted to Christianity like moths to a flame. They cannot let other people have their beliefs, they must protest that it somehow offends them that others have these beliefs. How does putting a cross on a memorial, or a nativity scene on a lawn cause atheists any problems? Yet they are constantly filing lawsuits against Christians to have these "offensive" things removed. If you don't believe in them then how can it offend you that others do?
    Wrong, the problem arises when christians try to impose their beliefs, ignorance and hate upon society in general.

-Want to force public prayer in schools, government meetings,
    -Vote to include bible based hate into laws that govern everyone,
    -The constant push to include the utter ignorance of creation as science into school classrooms.

These are examples of why I oppose any religion. You can dance naked covered with goat blood around the alter to your deity all you want, in your church or home, but don't expect me to even witness it, and when you attempt to force this on my children or grandchildren, be ready to man your f..... battle stations.

Then we have idiots like G Dumbya Bush who claimed he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, according to a senior Palestinian politician in an interview to be broadcast by the BBC later this month. Utter insanity
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

I'm still anxiously looking for the thread...hero!

sinful nature is always hostile to God....

4. Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    ... How does putting a cross on a memorial, or a nativity scene on a lawn cause atheists any problems? Yet they are constantly filing lawsuits against Christians to have these "offensive" things removed. If you don't believe in them then how can it offend you that others do?
    You can only infer from this that the cross' significance to Christians diminishes when it's in in their homes and churches. As to public display on govt-owned property and in govt meetings, there's this inconvenient prohibition in the Constitution--but way too many Christians have a convenient habit of ignoring that founding document when it suits their marketing purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    You can only infer from this that the cross' significance to Christians diminishes when it's in in their homes and churches. As to public display on govt-owned property and in govt meetings, there's this inconvenient prohibition in the Constitution--but way too many Christians have a convenient habit of ignoring that founding document when it suits their marketing purposes.
    Please go easy on me...what is this "prohibition in the constitution"?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Farmhood
    Please go easy on me...what is this "prohibition in the constitution"?
    The 1st Amendment's Establishment Clause. And contrary to what lots of religious people love to say (especially on the internet), this is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being correct: "The purpose of the Establishment clause is to keep government out of religion but not to keep religion out of government." This clause has been popularized as the "Separation of Church and State Clause" but there are no such words in the Constitution (they were in the Federalist Papers, and in any event, that's the purpose and effect of the Establishment Clause).

You have me re-reading this now...kinda looks like it is what it is... The*First Amendment*(Amendment I) to theUnited States Constitution*prohibits the making of any law*respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the*free exercise of religion, abridging the*freedom of speech, infringing on the*freedom of the press, interfering with the*right to peaceably assemble*or prohibiting the*petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

I'll second the others that are wondering where this Constitutional anti-religion thing is. I would appreciate you explaining that one. In short words, the Constitution says that I can put a nativity scene wherever I want and you cannot stop me.
    Chief

9. Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    I'll second the others that are wondering where this Constitutional anti-religion thing is. I would appreciate you explaining that one. In short words, the Constitution says that I can put a nativity scene wherever I want and you cannot stop me.
    Religious disingenuousness never ceases to amaze me. Nobody has ever represented the constitution as containing anything anti-religion. Of course, when it suits the ends of many christians, they make up facts. Lying and sophistry seem, in fact, to be at the core of religion. As to explaining--no. No point explaining to someone whose comprehension is limited by a pathological need to look at everything through a religious prism and whose capacity for rational discourse is further limited by a propensity to fabricate pro-religion, anti-Establishment Clause "facts."

You can only infer from this that the cross' significance to Christians diminishes when it's in in their homes and churches. As to public display on govt-owned property and in govt meetings, there's this inconvenient prohibition in the Constitution--
    Hmmm...seems like a little something going on here! just doesn't add up when all your statements are put together.

Oops watch out I'm in danger of my grammar being attacked next...Oh by the way I'm still waiting to see the very exciting atheist thread. 🐵