America is a Christian Nation - Page 96
Page 96 of 156 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast

Thread: America is a Christian Nation

You could start an atheist community center or fellowship and talk about what you believe. Well not much to talk about there but you could talk about what everyone else believes boy that sound exciting!

sinful nature is always hostile to God....

Here is another...start a country that believes in nothing. This REALLY sounds like a fun place....lots of freedom maybe. Ok sorry I'm finished. Might be a place like that already.

sinful nature is always hostile to God....

Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    The 1st Amendment's Establishment Clause. And contrary to what lots of religious people love to say (especially on the internet), this is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being correct: "The purpose of the Establishment clause is to keep government out of religion but not to keep religion out of government." This clause has been popularized as the "Separation of Church and State Clause" but there are no such words in the Constitution (they were in the Federalist Papers, and in any event, that's the purpose and effect of the Establishment Clause).
    Separation of church and state was coined by Jefferson in 1802 - Jefferson's Letter to the Danbury Baptists (June 1998) - Library of Congress Information Bulletin
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    I'll second the others that are wondering where this Constitutional anti-religion thing is. I would appreciate you explaining that one. In short words, the Constitution says that I can put a nativity scene wherever I want and you cannot stop me.
    Yes I can, you cannot put it on my property, or public property, that belongs to all of us.

Religion is like a *****. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around... and don't try to shove it down my child's throat.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Then not collecting stamps has to be a hobby
    Well, the government does pay some farmers to not grow corn.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I wrote about this one other time...
    I have some vacant land that borders an intersection of two highways. There's a lot of accidents at this spot. A young lady was killed there some years back in an auto accident. Her husband and small son put-up a memorial; a cross with a photo and candle. Then along comes the atheist. His virgin eyes can't stand to look at the cross. In fact it's so offensive to him that he can't get past it. No matter that it offers a husband and son some comfort. He complained to the town who refused to touch it because it was a state highway. He complained to the state but got no response. So he tore-it down. I was driving past and saw the husband picking-up the pieces. I told him to put it back up, just move it about ten feet back onto my property.
    So all was cool for a few weeks. Then I'm driving home and can't believe my eyes. Two cars pulled over and this hack and his hump buddy standing on my property looking at the memorial. I couldn't resist. I told him he was trespassing and had to leave immediately. Don't ever come back on this property. Told him if the cross gets knocked down I'll put it back up; steel in a concrete base this time; AND BIGGER. I took his license plate number and filed an incident with local PD.
    Lesson for atheists? Just as there are crazy religious zealots there are crazy atheists zealots. Which is OK as long as they don't enter that property again. No one is above an ass whipping. Anyone want to argue property owners rights on this one? BTW, that cross is still there. Deal with it.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

8. Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Separation of church and state was coined by Jefferson in 1802 - Jefferson's Letter to the Danbury Baptists (June 1998) - Library of Congress Information Bulletin
    That, too.

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Yes I can, you cannot put it on my property, or public property, that belongs to all of us.
    You guys seem to have your interpretation of the Constitution mixed up. In layman's terms, all it says is that the government cannot say "this is a Catholic nation, all other religion is forbidden" Insert whatever religion you choose into the preceding statement. Your "public property theory is also wrong. The use of government funds to put up a nativity scene could fall into your description, but if placed by a civic organization with their own funds, it's legal. But you prove my theory about you guys getting upset to the point of lawsuits over something that does you no harm and causes you no pain. Are you afraid to maybe have to explain to your kids what it is?
    Chief

10. Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    You guys seem to have your interpretation of the Constitution mixed up. In layman's terms, all it says is that the government cannot say "this is a Catholic nation, all other religion is forbidden" Insert whatever religion you choose into the preceding statement. Your "public property theory is also wrong. The use of government funds to put up a nativity scene could fall into your description, but if placed by a civic organization with their own funds, it's legal...
    Your own simplistic--and, of course, completely wrong, but thanks for the comical lecture on constitutional interpretation--take on the Establishment Clause is irrelevant. Like it or not, what counts is how the courts have construed (interpreted) it and in some cases what Congress has enacted (e.g., the disingenuously-named Religious Freedom Restoration Act, part of which was declared unconstitutional. All of should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by nosreme View Post
    Your own simplistic--and, of course, completely wrong, but thanks for the comical lecture on constitutional interpretation--take on the Establishment Clause is irrelevant. Like it or not, what counts is how the courts have construed (interpreted) it and in some cases what Congress has enacted (e.g., the disingenuously-named Religious Freedom Restoration Act, part of which was declared unconstitutional. All of should have been.
    It does not take a Constitutional lawyer to read and comprehend the document. Constitutional lawyers are there to try and legally twist the words to their own agenda to win whatever case they are arguing. In the following, please show me how my "simplistic and completely wrong" interpretation is wrong.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
    Chief