Medical marijuana and firearms possession - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medical marijuana and firearms possession

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD13 View Post
    I would not advocate the use of medical marijuana or alcohol while using or in posession of a firearm. Just my opinion. As far as it's medical use, I'd have questions about it's effectiveness. I've been through radiation therapy for cancer, was given the pill version to control the effects, and it was not worth anything.
    John, sorry to hear about your cancer. I hope you are doing better.

3. Medical marijuana and firearms possession

I came across a news story regarding Steve Sarich in Washington State. He had a medical marijuana card and was denied by NICS when he went to purchase a firearm to replace ones that were stolen from him. He had no criminal history. The sheriffs department knew of his medical marijauna card status and forwarded this information to NICS with the stolen firearms report. Steve Sarich is also a big medical marijuana advocate.

I contacted the attorney, Mark Knapp, who is handling the case and he said "I can only advise on Washington and Federal law but there seems to be a great risk to a person's gun rights under federal law if (s)he obtains authorization for medical marijuana".

So even though it may be for a legitimate medical use it could create some problems.

4. Are we still talking about mixing drugs and guns? If I remember correctly, there is a question on the federal form questioning whether one is a habitual drug user.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Despite being rigorously, and continually tested, there is still NO evidence for any medical use of smoked marijuana.

It's anti-emetic, and analgesic effects are very minor compared to approved meds.

And I do NOT mean the "I smoke it and I don't have glaucoma" type of (so called) evidence.

It is an impairing drug and has no place around guns!

-Doc

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Despite being rigorously, and continually tested, there is still NO evidence for any medical use of smoked marijuana.

It's anti-emetic, and analgesic effects are very minor compared to approved meds.

And I do NOT mean the "I smoke it and I don't have glaucoma" type of (so called) evidence.

-Doc
    Amen.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

I just don't see where there is a question. If you are imapired you should not be in posession of a firearm. If you have been drinking, don't handle a firearm. If you are doing drugs, don't handle a firearm.

Drugs and guns are not meant to be together. As a body of responsible gun owners I think we all should be understanding of that.

mojo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post

-Doc
    +1.......no matter what you call it, with or without a script.......smoking pot and handling a gun is bad news; a deadly accident just waiting to happen.

9. SO basically, no one had anything to say. I just posted the same type question in a specific section. I am sure I'll get ignorate responses as this gentleman did. As to the poor guy who had cancer, OF COURSE MERINOL didn't work, ITS FROM THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY! They DO NOT have ANYONE but their bank accounts interest in mind. Sounds like a few state lawsuits are in order soon. OH, and I hope no one takes allergy meds, pain killers of any sort, or cold medicine while shooting either. and checks their blood sugar if diabetic. HECK LETS JUST TAKE AWAY THOSE PEOPLES RIGHTS TOO, those are ALL impairing substances/condtions. Silly Reefer Madness Brainwashing

Thrustjunkie

Legal, or otherwise, if you're under the influence you shouldn't be carrying. This goes for alcohol or marijuana. If your judgment is impaired it's impaired.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Legal, or otherwise, if you're under the influence you shouldn't be carrying. This goes for alcohol or marijuana. If your judgment is impaired it's impaired.
    Well said!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast