Medical marijuana and firearms possession - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medical marijuana and firearms possession

I no longer smoke (I did when I was much younger), but am involved as a volunteer caregiver for the Oregon Medical Marijuana Project. I am licensed to possess and transport MM to a group of mostly elderly users. I am not here to argue the efficacy, as those who are vehemently oposed are not going to be convinced (and I really do not care whether they approve or not). I became involved when my wife was undergoing chemo and her oncologist recommended it.

There is some disagreements among the various county sheriffs (who have control over CCP issuance) as to whether possession of a medical marijuana authorization and possession of a CCP are mutually exclusive. I understand there are a few who would even ban caregiver/transporters such as myself from possessing a CCP (though 18 USC Ch44 would protect mine regardless).

I believe in most cases the "disagreement" is actually based upon the sheriff in question disapproving of the MM law and attempting to "punish" those with medical authorizations.

Do those sheriffs ask if other applicants ever drink? Or do any of them ever drink alcohol themselves? Drink enough and you judgment can become impaired. Even if you had no intention of carrying when you started drinking that inhibition may go away once you're drunk. So maybe nobody that ever drinks should get a CCW either. But then think about it, if your judgment is that impaired would not having a CCW stop you? It's all B.S.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

4. I would also like to know.

If you have a gun in your vehicle (legal firearm) and a dime bag in your pocket, would there be increased charges?

Many of us keep a legal firearm behind the bench of the truck or pistol in center console.

Just talking about possession of both at the same time. Is this a big deal?

To be clear, I am not talking about getting ridiculously high and waving a loaded gun around.

Quote Originally Posted by pakkman View Post
    I would also like to know.

If you have a gun in your vehicle (legal firearm) and a dime bag in your pocket, would there be increased charges?

Many of us keep a legal firearm behind the bench of the truck or pistol in center console.

Just talking about possession of both at the same time. Is this a big deal?

To be clear, I am not talking about getting ridiculously high and waving a loaded gun around.
    Legal marijuana will probably be judged the same as alcohol. If you are in possession of illegal narcotics the charges will most definitely way heavier against you. Why? Because you are carrying a weapon while committing a crime. If you are under the influence, as I said before, it doesn't matter whether it's legal marijuana or not you shouldn't be carrying.

Stoned + Armed = Stupid + Dangerous.

This equation should always balance out with JAIL + REVOCATION of CCW!

-Doc

I agree with Ice with this one more tax money Uncle Sam. First I don't do any drugs at all beer is my poison of choice. When I drink I don't drive nor do I carry when I have a chance of drinking when I go out to eat. I have friends who smoke pot and from what I see with them they seem like they've been drinking. Same should apply DON'T DRIVE OR HANDLE FIREARMS. As for the medical marijuana BS. I live in WA for 4 years and I remember seeing the news stories about it and the people who go to "fill a prescription" look like they should be working in Jamacia as a resort employee. Hell my wife got me a 69 Bronco for christmas and the previous owner had a med marijuana PX in it so I took it down to the police station to have their drug dog go through it just incase. When I contacted the previous owner about the PX to see if they needed it back and what it was for he just laughed. Med BS yes just like drinking and a large tax income for us all yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dvnfly View Post
    I agree with Ice with this one more tax money Uncle Sam. ...
    The problem with this is that the price will fall into the abyss. The potential tax will evaporate.

Besides, how are you gonna collect it? Honor system? with stoners?....right!

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    The problem with this is that the price will fall into the abyss. The potential tax will evaporate.

Besides, how are you gonna collect it? Honor system? with stoners?....right!

-Doc
    IMO I am more likely to trust someone who smokes every once in a while over somebody who drinks. Its funny, people on this site denounce the media as a bunch of croons when it comes to issues pertaining to guns, but buys right into the media's frenzy concerning medical marijuana. I assume many members on this forum have not had many personal encounters with the substance in order to make intelligent decisions regardings its usage.

I advocate a little toke of the pipe over the six pack any day of the week. Not one case of cancer has been documented by marijuana use. You don't hear about high driving deaths. You don't hear about domestic violence after the use of marijuana. You don't hear of cirrohsis of the liver, heart disease, kidney failure, or any other malady concerning marijuana. This idea that people who use the PLANT are not trustworthy individuals is nonsense.

And if it came down to it, I trust the high guy with the gun over the drunk guy with the gun.

OK, guns and alcohol don't mix - same with guns and pot. What activities do mix well with these two recreational drugs? Lawn mowing? Skydiving? Volleyball? Woodworking with a radial arm saw? OK, so you're a responsible person and you put your guns away before you start drinking and smoking... Guess what? Once you're drunk or stoned you're no longer a responsible person - so you're likely to break those guns back outa the safe and do something dumb. So maybe the answer is that drugs don't go well with anything.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by eckersr View Post
    Does anyone know of any legalities or problems for having a legal prescription for medical marijuana while owning firearms?
    The feds at this time do not recognize pot legal anywhere. MM is a state thing. When you buy a firearm and fill out a 4473 MM would be considered an illegal drug.

As far as safety goes, drink all you want or smoke all you want just wait until you're sober up to drive, shoot or do anything that might endanger me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast