Arizona responds to LA boycott
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona responds to LA boycott

Thumbs up Arizona responds to LA boycott

Hot Air AZ utility board member responds to LA boycott over SB1070
    posted at 2:55 pm on May 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott the state of Arizona over its new immigration-enforcement law, and now the Arizona Corporation Commission has responded. Gary Pierce, one of the commissioners chosen in state-wide elections to the utility regulation panel, notes that Los Angeles gets about 25% of its power from Arizona producers. If the City of Angels really wants a boycott, Pierce offers his services to help, as he explains in a letter to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and copied to Hot Air:

"Dear Mayor Villaraigosa,
    I was dismayed to learn that the Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott Arizona and Arizona-based companies — a vote you strongly supported — to show opposition to SB 1070 (Support our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act).

You explained your support of the boycott as follows: 'While we recognize that as neighbors, we share resources and ties with the State of Arizona that may be difficult to sever, our goal is not to hurt the local economy of Los Angeles, but to impact the economy of Arizona. Our intent is to use our dollars — or the withholding of our dollars — to send a message.' (emphasis added)

I received your message; please receive mine. As a state-wide elected member of the Arizona Corporation Commission overseeing Arizona’s electric and water utilities, I too am keenly aware of the “resources and ties” we share with the City of Los Angeles. In fact, approximately twenty-five percent of the electricity consumed in Los Angeles is generated by power plants in Arizona.

If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation. I am confident that Arizona’s utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands. If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona’s economy.

People of goodwill can disagree over the merits of SB 1070. A state-wide economic boycott of Arizona is not a message sent in goodwill.

Sincerely,
    Commissioner Gary Pierce"

I wonder what Commissioner Pierce has to say about Councilman Ed Reyes’ lack of understanding of California’s own penal code http://hotair.com/archives/2010/05/1...ca-penal-code/? Maybe the AZCC could buy a copy for Reyes, although it might be difficult to read during the blackout in Los Angeles.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

They won't put up, but mayor Villar (his name before he added his wife's) can't shut up.

Arizona is also housing hundreds of California prisoners due to prison overcrowding; perhaps Arizona should put them all on busses and send them home.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    They won't put up, but mayor Villar (his name before he added his wife's) can't shut up.

Arizona is also housing hundreds of California prisoners due to prison overcrowding; perhaps Arizona should put them all on busses and send them home.
    I'm sure that Arizona is reserving the prisoner issue as another bargaining tool, NDS.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

I know how we can solve the illegal problem. Lets just give them Kalafornia.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Now that is a beautiful letter.I wished I could be a fly on the wall of L.A. mayor when he read it.

I can see it all now . . .

CURSES!! Foiled Again!!
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I know how we can solve the illegal problem. Lets just give them Kalafornia.
    NO!

California has been 'de-facto' independent of Mexico since 1836 and a legitimate part of the United States since 1848. There are no states to spare for grandstanding.

What is needed is a serious reassertion of Constitutional limits on government power and a reinvigoration of the Natural Rights guaranteed in the Constitution as well as those enumerated in the Bill of Rights.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

9. There are more people and more states that support AZ in its new law which is really not a new law, just a reaffirmation to enforce the current law. I suspect that when you look at LA which is already bankrupt, they are really barking up the wrong tree if they want to get into an economic fight. They have no resources to back up such idiocy. I have ties to CA, but even if my own area is hurt by AZ retaliation, so be it, make an example of the liberal left and how their policies bring death, chaos and destruction to the basic fabric of society. All AZ is doing is stating that they will be a land regulated by the rule of law. LA could learn much from their example. I suspect in the long run they will.

Perhaps AZ could help us get rid of some of these lame brained politicians and give us a conservative that will heal the rift with AZ. I will sit back and wait, but I really believe the boycott with backfire. Throw out the bums and put some real men, not the CA girly boys Arnold keeps talking about that are in power now. It is time for the people to regain control since these politicians derive their power from us in the first place. Also time to get back to God who must be sickened by the sins of this nation. It is no wonder we are seeing our union becoming more and more divided. The last time this happened, you know what happened.

Would be fun to see what CA does if AZ does decide to pull the plug.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

They'll also have some nasty looking landscaping and very upset people in SO.CAL. if Arizona decides to renegotiate their water contracts with them. Our Colorado River supply's 60% of their much needed water, and they're using 20% more than they were allocated. Each year they demand more due to increase in population. Should be interesting should this come up.
    In America today, it's considered worse to judge evil than to do evil. Never let these Christophobic Liberal Progressive Purveyors of Infanticide & Homosexual Perversion who always manipulate truth to be hate speech set the terms in a debate.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast