National Guard for Arizona Border - Thoughts

Thread: National Guard for Arizona Border - Thoughts

National Guard for Arizona Border - Thoughts

Here is the link to a story about Arizona wanting national guard troops on the border with Mexico:

FOXNews.com - Senators Press for National Guard Troops on Border

This made me think of a couple of things about the National Guard:

1) Aren't state National Guard units under control of the state?
    2) Doesn't each state have the right to refuse the deployment orders that the Federal Government gives for their troops?

This kind of thing is not my area of expertise by any means so I don't know but if I'm right then Arizona could recall their NG units from Afghanistan/Iraq and deploy them on the border if they choose. Not the best solution as those troops are doing a job in Iraq/Afghanistan that someone depends on them to do but is it not technically an option?

If they will be used against foreign intrusion into our country that is ok by me. Not against Americans on American soil.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I have absolutely no problem with NG or regular formations securing the borders. It is one of those basic jobs that are expected of even a minimalist governmental structure under the general directive of protecting agauinst clear and present dangers to our citizens and national integrity.

I further believe it's fine if they begin conducting sweeps looking for illegals. While American citizens are protected against unreasonable search and seizure as well as protected by due process, the removal of non-citizens who are mixed into the population seems a fitting situation where checking "papers" is appropriate and proper in my opinion.

I do believe the state can call up the Guard formations on the Governor's orders but the state would incur the operational expenses for pay, fuel, food, per diems, etc. Maybe I'm wrong though.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

mojo Guest
    I'm not 100% certain but I dont think the state can just out of hand recall their units from overseas when called to serve by the federal government.......someone correct me if thats not correct! would be nice though if they could and by so doing force the blue hats to up their numbers from other nations!! I have no problem with state gaurd units on the border enforcing our laws in fact I'm all for it. and would welcome it.

HK4U - I agree. For what I'm thinking (not necessarily advocating), they would technically be used against an invasion of foreign nationals. I think they should be securing tbe border but I don't necessarily think they should be yanked out of Afghanistan or Iraq tomorrow to do it.

The best solution would be to beef up the Border Patrol and let them do their jobs (or just extend that canal)

I know each state's NG units report to that states Adjuctant General. In SC it is an elected position. I'm thinking a state can refuse to send it's NG units to a particular conflict though I don't know for sure because it seems like if they could, one (California most likely) would have done it by now.

7. National Guard

The feds can federalize the Guard and then they have control. i suspect that is what happens when the Guard is sent to Iraq or Afganistan.

I'm all for using the National Guard to secure our borders against the invasion of illegal aliens. So far as I am concerned, I think we should put up a double fence and declare the area between the two fences to be a free fire zone. Other states could help by sending their guard units to our borders for their training time. Obama could use some of the Billions that he is wasting to pay the bill for the Guard units.

8. Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    HK4U - I agree. For what I'm thinking (not necessarily advocating), they would technically be used against an invasion of foreign nationals. I think they should be securing tbe border but I don't necessarily think they should be yanked out of Afghanistan or Iraq tomorrow to do it.

The best solution would be to beef up the Border Patrol and let them do their jobs (or just extend that canal)

I know each state's NG units report to that states Adjuctant General. In SC it is an elected position. I'm thinking a state can refuse to send it's NG units to a particular conflict though I don't know for sure because it seems like if they could, one (California most likely) would have done it by now.
    Obummer is reducing the border patrol by a few hundred and sending them up to the Canadian border instead.

The law states:

§ 12406. National Guard in Federal service: call whenever—

(1) the United States, or any of the Commonwealths or possessions, is invaded or is in danger of invasion by a foreign nation;
    (2) there is a rebellion or danger of a rebellion against the authority of the Government of the United States; or
    (3) the President is unable with the regular forces to execute the laws of the United States;
    the President may call into Federal service members and units of the National Guard of any State in such numbers as he considers necessary to repel the invasion, suppress the rebellion, or execute those laws. Orders for these purposes shall be issued through the governors of the States or, in the case of the District of Columbia, through the commanding general of the National Guard of the District of Columbia.

While I don't agree with some it (possible abuse) illegal immigration to the extent we have can very well be considered an invasion. I see no problem using them to stop that invasion.