Obama want's "New International Order" for our military
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama want's "New International Order" for our military

Exclamation Obama want's "New International Order" for our military

washingtonpost.com

WEST POINT, N.Y. -- President Obama on Saturday pledged to shape a new "international order" as part of a national security strategy that emphasizes his belief in global institutions and America's role in promoting democratic values around the world.

Speaking to the graduating class at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point -- the ninth wartime commencement in a row, he said -- the commander in chief who is leading two foreign wars expressed his faith in cooperation and partnerships to confront the economic, military and environmental challenges of the future.

"The international order we seek is one that can resolve the challenges of our times,'" he said in prepared remarks. "Countering violent extremism and insurgency; stopping the spread of nuclear weapons and securing nuclear materials; combating a changing climate and sustaining global growth; helping countries feed themselves and care for their sick; preventing conflict and healing its wounds."

The administration is set to officially release the president's first national security strategy next week, and Obama's preview on Saturday suggests it will be far different than the first one offered by his predecessor in 2002. In that prior document, President George W. Bush formally called for a policy of preemptive war and a "distinctly American internationalism."

Obama has spoken frequently about shaping new alliances with the world, and of attempts to repair the U.S. image abroad after nearly a decade in which Bush's approach was viewed with suspicion in many quarters. In his commencement speech to the graduates, the president emphasized his beliefs in those alliances.

"Yes, we are clear-eyed about the shortfalls of our international system. But America has not succeeded by stepping outside the currents of international cooperation," he said. "We have succeeded by steering those currents in the direction of liberty and justice -- so nations thrive by meeting their responsibilities, and face consequences when they don't."

Obama said the United States will pursue a strategy of "national renewal and global leadership."

And yet, even as he calls for global cooperation, Obama has intensified America's own war in Afghanistan. And his administration has repeatedly confronted the dangers of Islamic terrorism on U.S. soil, including unsuccessful attempts to down a Detroit-bound airliner and to explode a car bomb in New York's Times Square.
    ad_icon

To the men and women in the hall, many of whom are headed to Afghanistan because of the expansion of the war he announced here six months ago, Obama pledged "the full support of a proud and grateful nation."

The president expressed confidence in the military's ability to succeed in Afghanistan, but warned of a "tough fight" ahead as the United States helps the Afghan people to rebuild its civil institutions and its security system so they can battle the Taliban and other extremists on their own.

"We have brought hope to the Afghan people; now we must see that their country does not fall prey to our common enemies," he said. "There will be difficult days ahead. But we will adapt, we will persist, and I have no doubt that together with our Afghan and international partners, we will succeed in Afghanistan."

In Iraq, he said, the United States is "poised" to end its combat operations this summer, leaving behind "an Iraq that provides no safe haven to terrorists; a democratic Iraq that is sovereign, stable and self-reliant."

"You, and all who wear America's uniform, remain the cornerstone of our national defense and the anchor of global security," he said. "And through a period when too many of our institutions have acted irresponsibly, the American military has set a standard of service and sacrifice that is as great as any in this nation's history."

But he said civilians must answer the call of service as well, by securing America's economic future, educating its children and confronting the challenges of poverty and climate change. He said the country must always pursue what he called the "universal rights" rooted in the Constitution.

"We will promote these values above all by living them -- through our fidelity to the rule of law and our Constitution, even when it's hard; and through our commitment to forever pursue a more perfect union," he said.

To the cadets themselves, he praised their pursuit of being "soldier-scholars" and lauded the records of academic excellence the Class of 2010 has set. He also took note of the fact that the class's top two graduates this year are both women, reflecting, he said, the "indispensable role" that women play in the modern military.

As they become commissioned officers in the Army, Obama told the graduates of West Point that the country owes them a debt of gratitude.

"Here in the quiet of these hills, you have come together to prepare for the most difficult tests of our time'" Obama said. "You signed up knowing your service would send you into harm's way, and did so long after the first drums of war were sounded. In you we see the commitment of our country, and timeless virtues that have served our nation well."
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

wolfhunter Guest
    0bama's "National Security Strategy" will be summed up as BOATI.

YouTube- Kevin Bacon - Fraternity Paddle
    Last edited by wolfhunter; 05-22-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added YouTube video

Just curious Festus, but where'd you get the thread title "Obama want's "New International Order" for our military?"

I'm guessing that is the meaning you took from his commencement speech at West Point?

Just curious Festus, but where'd you get the thread title "Obama want's "New International Order" for our military?"

I'm guessing that is the meaning you took from his commencement speech at West Point?

The meaning you took? How about learning to read half cocked and locked. That is exactly what the article says. festus did not have to give it any meaning.

FOXNews.com - At West Point, Obama Presses for New World Order to Defeat Al Qaeda
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I wasn't talking to you, oh greast holier than thou HK4U.

Now behave yourself or I'll put you back on the ignore list!

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    I wasn't talking to you, oh greast holier than thou HK4U.

Now behave yourself or I'll put you back on the ignore list!
    Promise?
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Exclamation What he said!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post

The meaning you took? How about learning to read half cocked and locked. That is exactly what the article says. festus did not have to give it any meaning.

FOXNews.com - At West Point, Obama Presses for New World Order to Defeat Al Qaeda
    What he said!!!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    What he said!!!
    C'mon now festus. Having a little trouble thinking for yourself tonight? Let's get a few things straight, since you see, I did read the article and I am now going to expose you for the FUD spreader you are.

Fact #1: The words "international" and "military" do not appear together anywhere in the text of Obama's address - only in the thread title, amounting to your preconcieved premise for this paticular little piece of "FUD" you dreamed up.

Fact #2: You as the poster of this supposed treatise on U.S. military internationalism offer no other analysis other than the leading thread title on top of a cut 'n paste news story. Works pretty well on readers adept at processing ideas already validated and pre-digested for them in the anti-Obama format, I suppose.

Fact #3: The intent of Obama's address is to inspire and support our men and women in uniform, now engaged in bloody struggles throughout the Middle East and elsewhere around the globe.

Fact #4: He is the CINC, like it or not.

Fact #5: Enlisting cooperation from international partners in global security matters is nothing new. Past Democratic and Republican Presidents alike have done it for as long as the Republic has been in existence.

Fact #6: Where things started getting off track in this area recently was when our beloved GWB decided to go it alone. I won't argue the wisdom of that decision either way, it is what it is, and I supported it then as a military member in uniform just as I would do so today if Obama made the call. just sayin'.

Fact #7: Nothing special about Obama here. (See fact #5 WRT to this topic)

Fact#8: This thread is now appropriately tagged. I'm not sure if uncertainty or doubt is the predominant force at work in this one, maybe a little of both.

mojo Guest
    International order would be great if it WASNT AT OUR EXPENSE...........like I said, the islamists have a firend in the WH. Did somebody say something?

Im so sick of this democrat trying to improve our image throughout the world. If they dont like us right now, they never will, weve been doing what were doing since WWII and still have the same negative image. Worry about ourselves, worry about whats good for US dont spend another 90 billion trying to get a good record with Somalia, France, Germany, or even South Korea. Get this idoit out of there -.-
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast