Maryland Man faces felony charges for filming arrest
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maryland Man faces felony charges for filming arrest

Exclamation Maryland Man faces felony charges for filming arrest

Debate Sparks Over Video Recording Of Arrests
    BALTIMORE (WJZ) ―

[Click to zoom.] Click to enlarge
    1 of 1
    A bloody fistfight breaks out between a Baltimore City police officer and a Preakness spectator. Now the video is circulating across the web.

Several Marylanders face felony charges for recording their arrests on camera, and others have been intimidated to shut their cameras off.

That's touched off a legal controversy. Mike Hellgren explains the fierce debate and what you should do to protect yourself.

A man whose arrest was caught on video faces felony charges from Maryland State Police for recording it on camera.

"We are enforcing the law, and we don't make any apologies for that," said Greg Shipley, MSP.

Video of another arrest at the Preakness quickly made its way online, despite an officer issuing this warning to the person who shot it, "Do me a favor and turn that off. It's illegal to videotape anybody's voice or anything else, against the law in the state of Maryland."

But is he right? Can police stop you from recording their actions, like a beating at the University of Maryland College Park?

The American Civil Liberties Union says no.

"For the government to be saying it has the power to prevent citizens from doing that is profoundly shocking, troubling, and particularly in the case of Maryland, simply flat-out wrong," said David Roach, ACLU.

Under Maryland law, conversations in private cannot be recorded without the consent of both people involved.

But can that be applied to incidents such as one caught on tape three years ago where a Baltimore officer arrested a teenager at the Inner Harbor?

"When you tell me to turn it off because it's against the law, you've proven to me that I'm not secretly taping you," said law professor Byron Warnken. "He doesn't have the right to say, if you don't stop recording me, I'm going to arrest you."

The last official interpretation of Maryland's law came from the previous attorney general saying it was legal for officers to record video on dashcams.

Delegate Sandy Rosenberg is pushing the current attorney general for his opinion on whether you can record them, too.

"If he finds that there are circumstances when it's illegal, under existing law, to tape public actions by police or other public officials, then it's appropriate for me to introduce a bill to change that statute," said Rosenberg, Democrat, District 41, Baltimore City.

At this point, the attorney general has not indicated whether he will issue an opinion clarifying this law.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

wolfhunter Guest
    If it is legal for a LEO to use a dashcam, and present that video as evidence,it has to be legal for the citizen to do likewise.

This bullsh#t has been going on in Maryland for a long time. I myself was arrested in the mid-70s in Balto County for taking a picture of 3 cops strolling thru the county fair.

At the time, I was taking an advanced photography class at the U of MD, and was working on a portfolio of portraits. So, I'm taking picture of kids eating cotton candy, kids on rides, parents, etc. I saw three LEO strolling up the midway and thought it'd be cool to take a picture of our men in blue in midstride with the fair as a background.

I was immediately surrounded and after an...ahem...informal exchange of words with one cop (the only one talking), he busted me. Turns out he was a sh#tbird, full of himself. The other 2 cops didn't even jump in when the one LEO and I were wrestling a bit.

In court, the cop said he was afraid I was working for HA MC and taking a picture of him to set up a hit. The lawyer made mincemeat out of him and charges were dismissed based on 1st Amendment rights. I cannot believe this crap is still going on. This is why I stated on another thread that this kind of crap has to be FOUGHT by whatever means possible; it cannot be allowed to stand. It fosters the "police state" and corrupt LEO MUST know we are not afraid of them. My 2 cents, anyway.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

If they have nothing to hide there should be no problem with having their picture taken.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    If they have nothing to hide there should be no problem with having their picture taken.
    You know that based on your several years as a law enforcement officer, and security consultant HK?

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    You know that based on your several years as a law enforcement officer, and security consultant HK?
    Seeing as how you are questioning my experience perhaps you would like to share with all of us you vast experience in anything. I will be waiting to here of you great expertise in any field. You do seem very experienced at arguing and causing trouble is there anything else? Do you ever actually have anything worth while to contribute to any conversation?
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Debate Sparks Over Video Recording Of Arrests
    BALTIMORE (WJZ) ―

[Click to zoom.] Click to enlarge
    1 of 1
    A bloody fistfight breaks out between a Baltimore City police officer and a Preakness spectator. Now the video is circulating across the web.

Several Marylanders face felony charges for recording their arrests on camera, and others have been intimidated to shut their cameras off.

That's touched off a legal controversy. Mike Hellgren explains the fierce debate and what you should do to protect yourself.

A man whose arrest was caught on video faces felony charges from Maryland State Police for recording it on camera.

"We are enforcing the law, and we don't make any apologies for that," said Greg Shipley, MSP.

Video of another arrest at the Preakness quickly made its way online, despite an officer issuing this warning to the person who shot it, "Do me a favor and turn that off. It's illegal to videotape anybody's voice or anything else, against the law in the state of Maryland."

But is he right? Can police stop you from recording their actions, like a beating at the University of Maryland College Park?

The American Civil Liberties Union says no.

"For the government to be saying it has the power to prevent citizens from doing that is profoundly shocking, troubling, and particularly in the case of Maryland, simply flat-out wrong," said David Roach, ACLU.

Under Maryland law, conversations in private cannot be recorded without the consent of both people involved.

But can that be applied to incidents such as one caught on tape three years ago where a Baltimore officer arrested a teenager at the Inner Harbor?

"When you tell me to turn it off because it's against the law, you've proven to me that I'm not secretly taping you," said law professor Byron Warnken. "He doesn't have the right to say, if you don't stop recording me, I'm going to arrest you."

The last official interpretation of Maryland's law came from the previous attorney general saying it was legal for officers to record video on dashcams.

Delegate Sandy Rosenberg is pushing the current attorney general for his opinion on whether you can record them, too.

"If he finds that there are circumstances when it's illegal, under existing law, to tape public actions by police or other public officials, then it's appropriate for me to introduce a bill to change that statute," said Rosenberg, Democrat, District 41, Baltimore City.

At this point, the attorney general has not indicated whether he will issue an opinion clarifying this law.
    Most of the time I feel the ACLU is full of s_ _t, but this time I have to agree with them. Just as it was said earlier, police record you when they are dealing with you, so why can't you record them?

Seeing as how you are questioning my experience perhaps you would like to share with all of us you vast experience in anything. I will be waiting to here of you great expertise in any field. You do seem very experienced at arguing and causing trouble is there anything else? Do you ever actually have anything worth while to contribute to any conversation?

Don't care to answer my the question?
    Unlike you, I have never claimed to be an expert on anything.
    I have spent the last 40 years in an very rewarding occupation as a Troll. Happy now?
    Now, it is your turn.
    Please share with us the details of your many years as a law enforcement officer, and security consult. I see you are debating Charles the liberal. I suggest you stop, he is making you look rather foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Don't care to answer my the question?
    Unlike you, I have never claimed to be an expert on anything.
    I have spent the last 40 years in an very rewarding occupation as a Troll. Happy now?
    Now, it is your turn.
    Please share with us the details of your many years as a law enforcement officer, and security consult. I see you are debating Charles the liberal. I suggest you stop, he is making you look rather foolish.
    Actually I kind of feel sorry for you for you are obviously a very bitter individual for some reason. I am not sure what all has happened in your past to make you such a bitter person but I am sure plenty of the rest of us here have had bad things happen to us as well with out making us mean spirited and hateful. As far as what my experience is it is really none of your business. If any of the many posters here, that I have great respect for (you are not one of them) wants to know any details of my work experience I will be glad to tell them if they PM me. Anyway grow up, be a man and get a life.

Actually I kind of feel sorry for you for you are obviously a very bitter individual for some reason. I am not sure what all has happened in your past to make you such a bitter person but I am sure plenty of the rest of us here have had bad things happen to us as well with out making us mean spirited and hateful. As far as what my experience is it is really none of your business. If any of the many posters here, that I have great respect for (you are not one of them) wants to know any details of my work experience I will be glad to tell them if they PM me. Anyway grow up, be a man and get a life.
    Guess we ain't gonna get an answer are we?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast