Ethical question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethical question

Exclamation Ethical question

I ask this question, not wanting to tick anyone off, but it's one that I feel should be asked, so:

I think we all consider ourselves as being a Good Guy vs a Bad Guy. That being said, GG follow the law, obey the rules - BG's don't - right?

Ok, here is my question / concern. I had only been a member of this forum for a short time, and value the insight I have received. That being said, I have read where several people say that they would carry in places that don't allow concealed weapons - such as at work, at the mall, or in some states, in someone's house with out their permission.

I understand that there are places that may now allow to carry, but not post the proper signs etc, but as far as being ethical - if you KNOW you are not supposed to carry in a certain place, and you do it anyway, you are breaking the law, and if caught, possibly prosecuted, and then your 2nd Amendment right is gone. Does this make you a BG?

I'm sure I will carry someday in a place that I'm not supposed to - I just hope that it is a mistake, and not a decision to break the law.

Again, I really, really, really am not trying to tick anyone off - Just wanted to raise the question.
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

I don't think so. I think you have to take it case by case. Is the place that is restricted somewhere you have to go. If you have to do you feel that your life is in danger if you do not carry. Life is full of choices and we need to make wise choices. Again I do follow the guide line that it is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. In other words is it better to be dead and follow the law or perhaps break the law and stay alive. Only you can answer that for youself. No one else can.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    In other words is it better to be dead and follow the law or perhaps break the law and stay alive.
    I agree with this statement, but I also try to avoid places that I would feel that I, or my family might be in danger. Exception to this is the Mall. I hate going to the mall - one just because I don't like it, but two, this is a place for idiots that want to go out with a bang are going to do it... I dread the day that my kids are teens, and want to go to the mall to hang out...

I'm not condoning anyone for carrying anywhere that they feel in danger. I do question people, for example, that carry in places that are not dangerous, but CW are not allowed, despite the law/rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I do question people, for example, that carry in places that are not dangerous, but CW are not allowed, despite the law/rules.
    I personally don't think there are any places that 'are not dangerous'. I think it wise to avoid places that I know to be dangerous, but you can't ever get into the habit of thinking you are safe anywhere. Killings happen on the road, in churches, and even in the sanctuaries we call 'home'. To be truly committed to the ideals this country stands for, we need to be ready and able to defend ourselves wherever we may be. Granted there are places where guns are illegal (federal buildings, secure airport zones, etc.), but most of the other places have POLICIES against carrying a weapon and these (see your local gun laws) do NOT carry the weight of the law. I would much rather violate a policy than be defenseless when faced with danger.

To each their own, but your life and the lives of your loved ones may depend on your decisions.
    The only difference between a liberal and a conservative is one mugging.

Have you ever told a little white lie because you thought it would protect the feelings of someone? While I can't say that I have carried anywhere illegal, if I did it would be a little white lie.

Please forgive me for coming across like a raging paranoid*, but I have to tell you a story. A couple of 'em, actually...

A. I'm in New Jersey. 'Nuff said.

B. I carry around the house, because it's the only truly legal way I CAN here in Иєш Лєяжşєşŧăŋ, and I opt to exercise what few Rights I have left in this repressive regime. While the town I live in is very, Very, VERY safe (they close Police Hdqtrs on the weekends. A few of our Cops patrol but they're dispatched from the neighboring town), we did have a push-in assault at knifepoint here in a neighboring town last week, and there was an in-home assault/attempted rape in this town late last year. I carry at home.

C. I'm home lately convalescing from minor surgery, ergo, I'm carrying. Yesterday P and I had to go out for a couple of light errands. We were halfway there when I realized I still had the Kimber on my hip! It had become so comfortable and familiar that I completely forgot I was wearing it! (No, we didn't turn around. We finished our business with care and then went home.)

Point is, even if you were totally inclined to respect every letter of the law, there's always the possibility of an error that would put you someplace you shouldn't be while carrying. It's been in the news, too: this or that celebrity or Politico caught at the airport, for example, with his sidearm in his bag. It can happen to anyone, and I think the bottom line is that IF you're truly a GG, the hit - both Legal and emotional! - should be minimal for the oversight.

*Paranoid: 2 points...

1. Just because you're Paranoid doesn't meant they're not really out to get you.

2. If you think everyone is out to get you, you're Paranoid...
    If you think NO one's out to get you...you're crazy!
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneticsDave View Post
    Granted there are places where guns are illegal (federal buildings, secure airport zones, etc.), but most of the other places have POLICIES against carrying a weapon and these (see your local gun laws) do NOT carry the weight of the law.
    That is an excellent point, and you may have just changed the way I look at this. I guess I was putting policy in the same pot as law. I guess it's like smoking in a non smoking building... I don't smoke, but there are policies from various business that I have broken in the past because it went against my better judgment.

Another question though - if the business policy is no carry, and they DO have the sign posted as per the laws of that state, would you carry there?

Example - I was a Goodyear this morning, and they have a large 8" square sign on the door with a "No" sign over a gun - I don't have my permit yet, but if I did, I would have been carrying this morning, so I would either had to carry in a non-legal manner, or stand outside in 35 deg weather...

So, thank you Dave - you've just changed my 1/2 my mind!

if I did, I would have been carrying this morning, so I would either had to carry in a non-legal manner, or stand outside in 35 deg weather...
    ...or find another place to spend your hard-earned money instead of with a vendor who has no respect for your Constitutional Rights!
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

I will not carry in a place that is legally posted no carry. While I am always concerned about my safety, I am equally concerned about losing my permit. I do risk my life by not carrying in certain places because they have chosen to make it a gun free zone. However, I would be risking my life going anywhere if I lose my permit altogether. Now, if it is a company policy, etc I have to weigh every situation to decide. (as long as it carries no weight of the law.) Is it worth losing my job over? It all depends on how important that job is. Is it worth losing a club membership? It all depends.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Ektarr View Post
    ...or find another place to spend your hard-earned money instead of with a vendor who has no respect for your Constitutional Rights!
    EXCELLENT POINT!!

You took the words right out of my mouth. Then I might even go back or call and speak to the manager. I would inform him that I just bought a complete set of tires at your competitor down the street and do you want to know why I didn't buy from you? Because of that little sign you have out front. I bet if more people did that and they knew it would affect business they might be inclined to remove it.
    ["Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    - Ben Franklin
    FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast