Deprived of my right to carry outside of the Nelson county courthouse today - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deprived of my right to carry outside of the Nelson county courthouse today

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Mr. Vernacular, let me get this straight. You have OC'd in court houses in two other counties? May I ask why you open carry a firearm into the courthouse building? To prove a point?

IMO, when I read stuff like this, the image of this fella comes to mind.
    Ok, are you aware that the SCROTUS ruled that a LEO is not required to place his life on the line to save yours? Ultimately your life is in your own hands and I take that quite seriously, especially that two little girls depend on me. Numerous people have been killed because they "didn't think anything was going to happen." What if someone was found not guilty or exonerated of a crime and someone who felt they shouldn't get away with it, decides to open fire on them on the steps and I happen to be near them when this transpires? What if my children are with me? I carry a firearm for defense of my life, my children lives and the lives of others.

Don't think it can happen? Don't think that anyone would pull something like that with LE around?

Although statistically improbable, it's not impossible and that's a good enough reason for me.

Do you own a fire extinguisher sir? Extrapolate that out and you'll get it.

Your last post would make two attempts at insulting me, if you cannot make sensible and constructive adult conversation without resorting to insults, then excuse yourself from my thread please.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Ok, are you aware that the SCROTUS ruled that a LEO is not required to place his life on the line to save yours? Ultimately your life is in your own hands and I take that quite seriously, especially that two little girls depend on me. Numerous people have been killed because they "didn't think anything was going to happen." What if someone was found not guilty or exonerated of a crime and someone who felt they shouldn't get away with it, decides to open fire on them on the steps and I happen to be near them when this transpires? What if my children are with me? I carry a firearm for defense of my life, my children lives and the lives of others.

Although statistically improbable, it's not impossible and that's a good enough reason for me.

Do you own a fire extinguisher sir? Extrapolate that out and you'll get it.

Your last post would make two attempts at insulting me, if you cannot make sensible and constructive adult conversation without resorting to insults, then excuse yourself from my thread please.
    I am not questioning your right to carry. I am questioning why you choose to carry in the open in three different court houses. If I read your posting right.

What do the comments concerning the SCROTUS rule, your family, and a fire extinguisher have to do with anything? What?

Regarding being there on the court house steps, and someone starts shooting, guess what? If you are doing the open carry, guess who is the first target? I pray your familiy is not with you, when you are drawing fire.

It is clear that you are trying to make a point.
    That does not mean everyone agree's with you.
    Just because you say it, does not make it so.
    I hope you have a better day tomorow.

Mr. Vernacular, let me get this straight. You have OC'd in court houses in two other counties? May I ask why you open carry a firearm into the courthouse building? To prove a point?

IMO, when I read stuff like this, the image of this fella comes to mind.
    Because he can... If the law reads that way, than it shall be allowed. No more, no less. When we allow the letter of the law to be bent in one way or the other we allow the freedom we have to be eroded by the ebb and flow of complacency and compromise...

When I read posts like this it causes me pause. I see those that would trade the rights they have for some level of unachievable comfort... You seem too willing to compromise...

The art of compromise, in politics as in life, has essential value and necessity... up to a certain point. At the heart of any successful negotiation, effective compromise can demonstrate largesse and love without sacrificing principles, which in itself can have more significant and lasting results than having “won” all of your negotiation points. There is a fine line however that, when crossed, can morph goodwill, evenhanded compromise into nothing more than spineless, weak-kneed submission.

Some people say a man is made outta mud
    A poor man's made outta muscle and blood
    Muscle and blood and skin and bones
    A mind that's weak and a back that's strong

You load sixteen tons, and what do you get?
    Another day older and deeper in debt
    Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
    I owe my soul to the company store

originally performed by Tennessee 'Ernie' Ford (1955)

Shall Not Be Infringed!!!

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I am not a big proponent for OC for myself, but I will not stand in the way of others exercising their rights under the law..
    Assuming you get a positive response from the AG, then I would bring that letter with me to the OC event as well as a printout of the law.. I might even print the portion of the law that allows you to carry on the property and print it on a big sign and hold it while you are there...
    I would have the print outs to hand to any officers that come up and of course to any other citizens that might inquire.. If you get a few more people, have you thought about calling the local news to get some coverage??
    LEO's tend to be less aggressive if there is media around..

Question.. What is the law about gatherings in your state?? IF you exceed how many people do you need a permit to assemble? Just trying to cover the bases...

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

I am not questioning your right to carry. I am questioning why you choose to carry in the open in three different court houses. If I read your posting right.

What do the comments concerning the SCROTUS rule, your family, and a fire extinguisher have to do with anything? What?

Regarding being there on the court house steps, and someone starts shooting, guess what? If you are doing the open carry, guess who is the first target? I pray your familiy is not with you, when you are drawing fire.

It is clear that you are trying to make a point.
    That does not mean everyone agree's with you.
    Just because you say it, does not make it so.
    I hope you have a better day tomorow.
    1) I choose to carry EVERYWHERE I go, if I did not, then there is no point in carrying at all IMO.
    2) Because, even at a courthouse, you cannot rely on the police to save you.
    3) The protection of my children are paramount, see 1.
    4) The basic question your asking is answered by the same answer of why anyone carries at all. The same reason people own fire extinguishers. Your not expecting a fire but you sure want to be prepared if one happens.

The first target would be the first one with the gun in his hand pulling the trigger, what all of a sudden people don't have stereophonic hearing? Did everyone suddenly go blind at the sound of a gun? Get real.

Your right, I am trying to make a point, I was illegally threatened with arrest and searched. If you want to sit behind your computer screen and let the country go to hell, then be my guest. I don't intend to let OUR rights be stripped any further or to allow corrupt power hungry officers think that they can disregard someones rights. I don't need everyone to agree with me, especially not you.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    I am not a big proponent for OC for myself, but I will not stand in the way of others exercising their rights under the law..
    Assuming you get a positive response from the AG, then I would bring that letter with me to the OC event as well as a printout of the law.. I might even print the portion of the law that allows you to carry on the property and print it on a big sign and hold it while you are there...
    I would have the print outs to hand to any officers that come up and of course to any other citizens that might inquire.. If you get a few more people, have you thought about calling the local news to get some coverage??
    LEO's tend to be less aggressive if there is media around..

Question.. What is the law about gatherings in your state?? IF you exceed how many people do you need a permit to assemble? Just trying to cover the bases...
    You have to remember, this isn't an OC or CC issue, this is a 2A and 4A issue. If you had been on those court steps and your concealed gun accidentally became exposed and they saw you, you would have faced the same treatment.

Well see there isn't a law that states we can carry on the property, but there is no law that says we can't either. Laws don't usually tell you what you can do, but what you can't. The only limitation is the courtroom or a judge's chambers, which is usually on the other side of the courtroom so.....

But yes, all good ideas and things that will be done. I'm going to contact Fox news tomorrow about it.

The permit issues, if any are being looked into. Everything will of course be on the up and up.

You have to remember, this isn't an OC or CC issue, this is a 2A and 4A issue. If you had been on those court steps and your concealed gun accidentally became exposed and they saw you, you would have faced the same treatment.
    I live in Florida so there is no Open Carry (except for hunting/fishing etc).
    I do my best to stay concealed and it seems I do a pretty good job at it so far..
    IF my gun accidentally becomes exposed, then I probably face even worse treatment, since we don't have OC in my state.

I would not OC as I feel that it does make you a primary target by a BG, so even IF we had OC, I would not do it.. I have a gun and nobody I don't know shall know it. I am just like everyone else in an incident until I choose to end the threat to my life or my family. Surprise is an element I choose to have on my side not on the BG's side.
    But as I said, I won't stand in the way of others exercising the right, and will even support the right.

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    But as I said, I won't stand in the way of others exercising the right, and will even support the right.
    Well written... How we do it is as individually expressive as the car/truck we choose to drive, the way we like our bread toasted, and our preference for blondes, brunettes, and red haired girls... (2 and 3 for me)

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Went to the Nelson county Courthouse today to pay some fines for a traffic ticket...
    A safe driver might have avoided this fiasco altogether.

But I suppose your respect for traffic law is not much different than your respect for the LEO's that enforce it, based on your confrontational response to their concern about your OC'd weapon.

So that pretty well sums it up for me, no further questions.

At our county courthouses they have "NO FIREARMS" signs up on the doors. I leave mine in the vehicles when I have business there. I don't like it but that is the way it is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast