Deprived of my right to carry outside of the Nelson county courthouse today - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deprived of my right to carry outside of the Nelson county courthouse today

Quote Originally Posted by -06 View Post
    At our county courthouses they have "NO FIREARMS" signs up on the doors. I leave mine in the vehicles when I have business there. I don't like it but that is the way it is.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    A safe driver might have avoided this fiasco altogether.

But I suppose your respect for traffic law is not much different than your respect for the LEO's that enforce it, based on your confrontational response to their concern about your OC'd weapon.

So that pretty well sums it up for me, no further questions.
    You're kidding, right? Never gotten a traffic ticket?

Gee, I got one this past week so I guess I'll go turn in my carry permit now. Matter of fact, let me tell you what a scofflaw I am: I got the ticket in a state where my carry permit is not honored, and my weapon was loaded and in the glove box. ...(Gasp!!)....

So, should I surrender myself to the authorities to be drawn and quartered? I'm so ashamed...
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    You're kidding, right? Never gotten a traffic ticket?

Gee, I got one this past week so I guess I'll go turn in my carry permit now. Matter of fact, let me tell you what a scofflaw I am: I got the ticket in a state where my carry permit is not honored, and my weapon was loaded and in the glove box. ...(Gasp!!)....

So, should I surrender myself to the authorities to be drawn and quartered? I'm so ashamed...
    JJ,
    We all have recieved a traffic ticket.

I wonder what would of happened if while you were in a state not coverned under your permit, and were arrested for violation of concealed weapon law. What may of happened to your ability to carry in your home, as well as other states?

I take my "privledge" to carry concealed very serious. I make it a point to try and follow the law.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    JJ,
    We all have recieved a traffic ticket.

I wonder what would of happened if while you were in a state not coverned under your permit, and were arrested for violation of concealed weapon law. What may of happened to your ability to carry in your home, as well as other states?

I take my "privledge" to carry concealed very serious. I make it a point to try and follow the law.
    It's all factored into my personal risk calculations. Following the law is always good as far as it goes, but there are times...In this case, this was a "pass through" state on a multi-state trip and the only one not honoring my permit. I suppose I coud've stopped, broke everything apart and re-packaged for legal transport, but I thought the chance of someone seeing me do this was great enough, with possible ramifications, to warrant just locking the thing in the glove box for the quick run through the state in question. Imagine my chagrin to find blue lights flashing behind me. Officer was courteous (in fact, cut me a big break), I was courteous (always am, even more so here!), and so, no harm, no foul. Not for the faint-hearted, though. Good practice for when the SHTF.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    A safe driver might have avoided this fiasco altogether.

But I suppose your respect for traffic law is not much different than your respect for the LEO's that enforce it, based on your confrontational response to their concern about your OC'd weapon.

So that pretty well sums it up for me, no further questions.
    ...and I suppose an intelligent man could have a conversation without resorting to insults, guess you make the second one so far on this thread to show the lack of it.

Since your opinion is about as useful as theicemanmpls, you can go on the ignore list as well.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Deprived of my right...
    Guess you got "fettered" after all.

handgonnetoter Guest
    It's all factored into my personal risk calculations. Following the law is always good as far as it goes, but there are times...In this case, this was a "pass through" state on a multi-state trip and the only one not honoring my permit. I suppose I coud've stopped, broke everything apart and re-packaged for legal transport, but I thought the chance of someone seeing me do this was great enough, with possible ramifications, to warrant just locking the thing in the glove box for the quick run through the state in question. Imagine my chagrin to find blue lights flashing behind me. Officer was courteous (in fact, cut me a big break), I was courteous (always am, even more so here!), and so, no harm, no foul. Not for the faint-hearted, though. Good practice for when the SHTF.
    I have to say you have balls. I and my wife travel thru Ohio to get to Penn., and I unload my handgun until we get to PA because Ohio does not recognize my permit. I am not judging you, just saying be careful. There is nothing more some out of state police man would like to do than to put your hotdog in a bun and chow down over the possession of an illegal hand gun.

Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    I have to say you have balls. I and my wife travel thru Ohio to get to Penn., and I unload my handgun until we get to PA because Ohio does not recognize my permit. I am not judging you, just saying be careful. There is nothing more some out of state police man would like to do than to put your hotdog in a bun and chow down over the possession of an illegal hand gun.
    You know, many of us carried or at least had a weapon stashed in a vehicle long before CCW permits came into being. Just the way it was where I grew up (border South). Didn't think much about it. And too, there were those long cross-country road trips with my young family. I was not gonna find myself in an interstate rest area at 3:00 am, having to defend my family without some serious backup. I certainly am not advocating illegal carry but I will say that me and my family will continue to be protected regardless of what the fickle gov't says.

You know, many of us carried or at least had a weapon stashed in a vehicle long before CCW permits came into being. Just the way it was where I grew up (border South). Didn't think much about it. And too, there were those long cross-country road trips with my young family. I was not gonna find myself in an interstate rest area at 3:00 am, having to defend my family without some serious backup. I certainly am not advocating illegal carry but I will say that me and my family will continue to be protected regardless of what the fickle gov't says.
    JJ, we all hear what you are saying. Dirtbag thugs rule the streets. We are afraid to leave our homes. When I don't have a firearm, or can't carry one, I find creative ways to protect myself and family. A firearm is not the only answer. You brought up the image of a interstate rest area at 03:00. Very scary place. Instead, a motel, or a lighted busy truck stop?
    There are several new firearm owners coming to this website daily. What images do we want them to see?
    Do what ever you want, cause its your "right". Or, do what is within the scope of the law. If we don't agree with the law, take steps to change them.

We all need to be aware of the laws that govern firearms. As responsible firearm owners, We need to obey these laws.
    I for one would not even think of having a firearm in the passenger compartment in a non-friendly gun state. New Jersey, or Chicagoland comes to mind. It is my understanding, they might even try and arrest you for having one in your trunk, in compliance with federal law.
    The resulting arrest, and conviction, might endanger your CCW permit in your home state.
    Why risk it? In some states, a felony charge, and conviction?
    Going to court several times out of state? No thank you.

If you wish to go "rogue" JJ, knock yourself out. You have that right to do what ever want as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Mr. Vernacular, let me get this straight. You have OC'd in court houses in two other counties? May I ask why you open carry a firearm into the courthouse building? To prove a point?

IMO, when I read stuff like this, the image of this fella comes to mind.
    Why do people ask this question when someone open carry's?
    Are you tring to prove a point? Does he have to do it to prove a point? Maybe he's like me and just like expressing his rights in doing it. No one has to have a reason to express their rights.

Is that better?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast