Deprived of my right to carry outside of the Nelson county courthouse today
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Deprived of my right to carry outside of the Nelson county courthouse today

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    699

    Deprived of my right to carry outside of the Nelson county courthouse today

    This will apply to Kentucky residents, but of course any may reply.

    Went to the Nelson county Courthouse today to pay some fines for a traffic ticket and on my way to the front door, I received a phone call and stepped aside to answer the call. Now I know of a courthouse somewhere here in Kentucky that actually does it right and only forbids entry to the courtrooms, as per the law. Not knowing if this one was the same way, my intentions were to go in and find out and if not allowed, I would have taken it back to my car.

    Well two Sheriff's deputies and one Nelson LEO came out of the front doors and asked if I was LE. Of course I replied, "No" and then they tried to tell me it was illegal to carry a firearm on the entire property of the courthouse and to take it back to my car. I proceeded to tell them that it's only illegal to carry into a courtroom and I was on the front porch of the courthouse, they became more aggressive and one pulled his handcuffs out and threatened to arrest me if I didn't comply.

    After I went back out and put the firearm in my car and came back up, the Nelson LEO started to search me by putting his hand in my pocket and I told him to stop. I told him that if he couldn't search in my pockets and then he said, "I can take you in front of the Judge and he can tell you I can." Then I went on to say that even if he had RAS to perform a Terry stop, which he didn't, that he could only feel on the outside of my clothing and then reach in if something felt like a weapon, which considering the only things in my pockets was change, he had no justification.

    He stopped at that point and let me go in. Then when I tried to discuss the matter further, I discovered that he didn't have a clue what he was talking about in regards to the law. Claiming such charges as disorderly conduct, inciting a riot, the usual. I took apart everything he had and then told him that, "Yeah, you can arrest me for anything, but it doesn't mean it's a legal arrest, it doesn't mean it's gonna stick and it would be detrimental to your career to take such reckless actions." He became visibly angry and told me to go on about my business, which I did. I even told him to have a good day on my way back out, of course he didn't respond back in kind.

    Now what I've seen is 4 different officers of the law(1 was a separate incident), not knowing the law, that come from that county and enough is enough. The courtroom is the only place there that's supposed to be off limits by law, but the AG has made it, without passing a law, that we can't go into a courthouse and now these guys are trying to say it's illegal to carry even on the property and even threatened to arrest me if I didn't comply.

    I want to have an OC event on the doorsteps of the courthouse to show these corrupt LEOs that yes WE THE PEOPLE can carry on the property outside of the courthouse. What's next, the whole county? I'm going to write a letter of complaint to the AGs office and get the Nelson county Sheriff's department and Police educated on laws that they either don't know or choose to ignore.

    Who's with me??
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

    I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

  2.   
  3. #2
    UM, I know talk is cheap but if I were there, I would stand with you in a heartbeat. Hopefully, some local patriots will join the fight. I'm with you in spirit, brother. Get 'em.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    UM, I know talk is cheap but if I were there, I would stand with you in a heartbeat. Hopefully, some local patriots will join the fight. I'm with you in spirit, brother. Get 'em.
    Much appreciated JJ, I am VERY upset about the whole thing and I've already sent the letter to the Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway.

    I'm also organizing an OC event outside the courthouse, 1 person has already opted to stand with me and I'm sure many more will follow, we take our 2A very seriously here.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

    I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

  5. #4
    Wish I could join you, but that's a tad far. You might want to post something about your OC event in either the KY section or the OC section. Some people only browse certain specific areas. Also, please keep us up to date on any replies from the AG.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Wish I could join you, but that's a tad far. You might want to post something about your OC event in either the KY section or the OC section. Some people only browse certain specific areas. Also, please keep us up to date on any replies from the AG.
    Well I had intended for only those in Kentucky to actually consider coming, so no worries for you guys that it's obviously logistically impossible for your attendance.

    But your words of support are encouraging.

    I'll go ahead and post this in the other two forums, hopefully the mods won't have a problem with it and I will keep you all posted on the AG's response.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

    I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,429
    Unfeathered, were you doing the OC when you were on the steps of the courthouse?
    That may of put the LEO's in a no win situation.

    I see your point about the LEO's overstepping their authority. They do it all the time.

    However,

    I don't understand how baiting LEO's is going to further the cause?

    If people continue to OC on courthouse grounds then, The district Court Judge can always issue an order preventing firearms inside the building.

    There have been several shootings inside of court rooms, and court houses.
    IMO, this is not a good place to "test" the law.

  8. #7
    Oh no, here it comes...
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Oh no, here it comes...
    LOL! No kidding. I mean, good grief, always the contrarian viewpoint. Sheesh...
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Unfeathered, were you doing the OC when you were on the steps of the courthouse?
    That may of put the LEO's in a no win situation.

    I see your point about the LEO's overstepping their authority. They do it all the time.

    However,

    I don't understand how baiting LEO's is going to further the cause?

    If people continue to OC on courthouse grounds then, The district Court Judge can always issue an order preventing firearms inside the building.

    There have been several shootings inside of court rooms, and court houses.
    IMO, this is not a good place to "test" the law.
    Eh hmm. It's Unfettered, which defines as unlimited, try to get the vernacular correct please.

    Yes I was and yes they were, that they "do it all the time" is no excuse and the only reason they get away with it is because people let them.

    I was there to pay the fines and court costs on a ticket, a courthouse in Larue county abides by the law set out in our Kentucky Constitution and KRS. I was not "baiting" them by seeing if it was done the right way in that one. The courthouse in Bullitt county doesn't allow it either, but they were respectful about it and I complied willingly. They didn't become openly aggressive and threaten to arrest me for doing something the law allows me.

    Concealed firearms are already prohibited inside the building, but open carried firearms are not, except in the actual courtroom, which is perfectly understandable and I don't have a problem with that. A judge CANNOT make a ruling on such matters because of our state preemption law that strictly forbids just that sort of activity. Many bans in this state have been overturned because of it.

    I for one refuse to lie down and just take it and I already have 3 others that are going back there with me on an as yet undetermined date to prove our point. This is OUR state, not THEIRS (as law enforcement). I will not allow our rights to be chipped away little by little and I will not be treated like a criminal for exercising my rights. More infringements in Bardstown have come to light because of this incident and they will all be abolished, AS PER LAW.

    Anything else?
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

    I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Eh hmm. It's Unfettered, which defines as unlimited, try to get the vernacular correct please.

    Yes I was and yes they were, that they "do it all the time" is no excuse and the only reason they get away with it is because people let them.

    I was there to pay the fines and court costs on a ticket, a courthouse in Larue county abides by the law set out in our Kentucky Constitution and KRS. I was not "baiting" them by seeing if it was done the right way in that one. The courthouse in Bullitt county doesn't allow it either, but they were respectful about it and I complied willingly. They didn't become openly aggressive and threaten to arrest me for doing something the law allows me.

    Concealed firearms are already prohibited inside the building, but open carried firearms are not, except in the actual courtroom, which is perfectly understandable and I don't have a problem with that. A judge CANNOT make a ruling on such matters because of our state preemption law that strictly forbids just that sort of activity. Many bans in this state have been overturned because of it.

    I for one refuse to lie down and just take it and I already have 3 others that are going back there with me on an as yet undetermined date to prove our point. This is OUR state, not THEIRS (as law enforcement). I will not allow our rights to be chipped away little by little and I will not be treated like a criminal for exercising my rights. More infringements in Bardstown have come to light because of this incident and they will all be abolished, AS PER LAW.

    Anything else?
    Mr. Vernacular, let me get this straight. You have OC'd in court houses in two other counties? May I ask why you open carry a firearm into the courthouse building? To prove a point?

    IMO, when I read stuff like this, the image of this fella comes to mind.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Onondaga County pistol license upgrade to Full Carry APPROVED!
    By jeffx in forum New York Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 06-23-2016, 08:56 AM
  2. What Do You Carry?
    By lukem in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 871
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 05:43 PM
  3. Gun Carry in National Parks Becomes Legal Today
    By gvaldeg1 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 07:59 PM
  4. Penal codes that apply to CCW Issuance part1
    By spc in forum California Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2007, 11:34 PM
  5. Open Carry Meeting and Training
    By 45acpman in forum Wisconsin Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 09:36 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast