Graduated voting part Deux - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graduated voting part Deux

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    HK, you're not going to believe this. I looked bipartisanship up in Webster's and that's EXACTLY what it said!
    And I bet it had a picture of a politician for an illustration.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

The electoral college was a compromise for the small states (population-wise) to allow them to agree to the Constitution, and for good reason. It insures individual states and their residents have a voice in the election. If the election was by popular vote, candidates would campaign only in dense urban areas, and persons in low population states would be disregarded. The 9 most populated states have half the population. Theoretically their votes could determine the election.

It would require a Constitutional Amendment and ratification of 2/3rds of all the states to change it. Not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiofan View Post
    The electoral college was a compromise for the small states (population-wise) to allow them to agree to the Constitution, and for good reason. It insures individual states and their residents have a voice in the election. If the election was by popular vote, candidates would campaign only in dense urban areas, and persons in low population states would be disregarded. The 9 most populated states have half the population. Theoretically their votes could determine the election.

It would require a Constitutional Amendment and ratification of 2/3rds of all the states to change it. Not going to happen.
    If you look at popular vote, many elections are won by a slim lead, Obama's is one example. I believe that, if it were left up to popular vote, politicians would have to work harder in all states to get elected. Then place a rule saying if no politician received at least 50% of the vote a run off would have to be held between the two top contenders and you remove some of the loss to third party candidates. Yes it's true that, because of the ratification requirement, it may never happen but my opinion is it would allow better representation of the people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12