Paul McCartney Serenades Obamas With 'Michelle'

Thread: Paul McCartney Serenades Obamas With 'Michelle'

Thumbs down Paul McCartney Serenades Obamas With 'Michelle'

Excuse me while I heave my cookies.

FOXNews.com - Paul McCartney Serenades Obamas With 'Michelle'
    Paul McCartney Serenades Obamas With 'Michelle'

Published June 03, 2010

Reuters

June 2: Paul McCartney performs "Michelle" in the East Room of the White House while being honored by President Obama. Obama awarded McCartney the 3rd Gershwin Prize for Popular Song from the Library of Congress.

WASHINGTON -- Paul McCartney had been itching to perform a certain song at the White House, and he seized the moment when it arrived.

The former Beatle brought down the house at an East Room concert Wednesday night by belting out "Michelle," aiming its romantic lyrics straight at a first lady named Michelle.

After serenading the first lady with the words, "I love you, I love you, I love you," McCartney joked that he just might be the "first guy ever to be punched out by a president."

The president didn't seem to mind though: He was swaying along to the beat while his wife mouthed the words along with McCartney.

The 90-minute concert was built around Obama's presentation to McCartney of the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, awarded by the Library of Congress. The president said McCartney had "helped to lay the soundtrack for an entire generation."

McCartney, 67, said it was a moment like no other.

"I don't think there could be anything more special than to play here," the Englishman said.

And then he volunteered to make it a regular gig.

"Lunchtimes, we could come around," he offered. "We're cheap."

The concert featured an all-star lineup of top performers doing their own interpretations of some of McCartney's greatest hits. McCartney said it was inspiring to see what other people did with his music.

Among those performing were Stevie Wonder, the Jonas Brothers, Faith Hill, Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris, Herbie Hancock, White Stripes singer and guitarist Jack White, pianist Lang Lang and Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl.

The Gershwin prize is named for the songwriting brothers George and Ira Gershwin. Previous recipients are Wonder and Paul Simon.

Those not lucky enough to snag tickets to the East Room gig can catch the concert July 28, when it's televised on PBS' "In Performance at the White House."
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

hk4uJOHNSON, why are you always so negative?
    Anger turned inward?

4. Is there an oil leak somewhere or something?
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

A few people still looking for work? or a family losing homes?
    Semper Fi

6. It truly does not feel as though we have a President. I really miss President Bush right about now. Right or wrong, he took charge and made decisions. We always felt like we had someone in the white house who was in command.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

obama is to involved with obama to care about the affairs of this country.

I wouldn't expect nothing less from Paul McCartney. He shouldn't be afraid of being punched out by obama. Don't think he has the stones to do something like that. I wouldn't out it past him to put a couple members of the Secret Cervix on McCartney's tail though.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

9. Someone's fiddling while Rome burns

Andy

10. The Maggots will flock always flock together.