WHERE will it end?!? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WHERE will it end?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    This is a subject close to my heart.

Do you know that we have adult students at the school where I teach who are NOT U.S. citizens and who get the PELL Grant, which is a federal grant (no payback required) plus other federal grants to go to school?

One student from the Dominican Republic told me that she didn't want me to find a job for her after she finished my program, because she was getting housing from our housing department and she was getting a PELL Grant which paid for her total tuition and books, plus money leftover.

She was looking into WAIT which gives students a CREDIT CARD for gas to come to school, and into CARIBE which is a special program (check it out - I did) for immigrants and it pays for child care and all sorts of needs while they go to school or training. The one student I just mentioned told me she was not going to be a U.S. Citizen because she plans to return to the Dominican Republic someday and that she 'loves HER country.'

I asked her if she felt guilty taking what the U.S. is giving her and then not even bothering to become a citizen and she told me that it doesn't bother her, because that is what the money is there for!

I asked the CARIBE administration about their program and if you ARE a U.S. citizen, you don't qualify for their program. And all the while, I am working a full day, my son-in-law works more than 60 hours a week, and everyone in my family works and pays for our education.

Something is wrong here. I am sorry, but after hearing that they want to sing the National Anthem in Spanish - enough is enough. That's a real slap in the face. It was written by Francis Scott Key and should be sung word for word the way it was written. The news broadcasts even gave the translation -- not even close.

I don't care whether this offends someone or not but this is MY COUNTRY. IF IT IS YOUR COUNTRY SPEAK UP -- please pass this along. I am not against immigration -- I just expect immigrants to come through like everyone else. Get a sponsor; have a place to lay your head; have a job; pay your taxes, live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE as all other immigrants have in the past -- and GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    A very good example of one of many things that is wrong with our country today. It just seems like complete insanity has griped our country and every day it gets worse. Sometimes I feel like I am having a nightmare and wonder when I will wake up.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    A very good example of one of many things that is wrong with our country today. It just seems like complete insanity has griped our country and every day it gets worse. Sometimes I feel like I am having a nightmare and wonder when I will wake up.
    I second that with the same feelings you have. I read my Bible everyday and see things unfolding according to plan. And I remember some Sci-Fi movies of the so-called distant future I have seen over the years that showed a destroyed society and the conditions: I see that happening in one form or another now too.

I'm training to be a teacher.

I did my early field experience in March. As part of the inter-disciplinary aspects of my math lessons, each homework assignment featured a problem of explaining an aspect of mathematics in their own words. The problem was graded not on mathematical correctness, but on spelling, grammar, word choice, etc.

One of my students insisted on using TXT-speak for each of those problems. She never got the points. She always got all kinds of editting marks indicating her errors.

And yes, I know there are idiosyncrasies in the way I spell certain words myself. I am aware of them, and have tried to stamp them out, but it's just no good. If I'm adding an ending to a word that ends in a SHORT vowel followed by a consonant, I HAVE to double that consonant.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    Another reason why I hate cell phones and text messaging. Text-ese seems to have become the new English. Not everything in life is phonetic! My employer would never allow as many personal telephone calls to be made, as there are text messages made on the clock. One is wrong and the other is not? The art of letter writing is dying, if not dead. Every language has its complications. Put forth a little effort to learn it in the correct manner. Language is culture. What does that say about our culture and people who just want to pare English down to almost nothing?

Thanks for the old-fashioned vent.
    Society is digressing, slowly going back to a tribal existence. It is being pushed forward by, ironically, progressives!

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post

For instance, I was recently stopped by a Texas LEO and he asked "Got any ID?" And I said" 'bout what"'.
    That's funny, and I believe it. lol.
    The Most Important Thing That You Can Do In This Life, Is To Determine "WHERE" You Will "LIVE" In The Next Life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123