Obama Moves to Silence Gun Groups and Other Political Opponents - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Obama Moves to Silence Gun Groups and Other Political Opponents

Emails sent.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    POTUS is so arrogant putting his plans and wishes, for the country, before everyone elses (the majority of taxpayers/voters) and SCOTUS! I truly fear that the Disclose Act is going to become the law of the land. Obama and his progressive pals are like a run-a-way locomotive...and they don't want "we the people" applying a brake to the impending destruction, either.

It's as though they're pushing and pushing and pushing and hoping that violence will erupt so that they can declare martial law, suspend elections and REALLY take over the country. God only knows what condition our country and our freedoms will be in by November, 2010. Pray for our nation...pray like you've never prayed before!
    With the current criteria, MoveOn & the DailyKos, SEIU and ACORN get exempted...

some of his biggest PAC Contributors...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Threat to Free Speech Lights a Fire in the Grassroots

Threat to Free Speech Lights a Fire in the Grassroots
    -- Vote has been temporarily postponed; keep up the heat!

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
    Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
    www.gunowners.org

“[T]he NRA -- on whose board of directors I serve -- rather than holding steadfastly to its historic principles of defending the Constitution and continuing its noble fight against government regulation of political speech instead opted for a political deal borne of self-interest in exchange for ‘neutrality’ from the legislation's requirements.”
    -- NRA Director Cleta Mitchell, June 17, 2010

Thursday, June 17, 2010
    The above quote -- part of an editorial authored by NRA Director Cleta Mitchell -- ran in The Washington Post today.
    Like Mitchell, bloggers and editorial writers around the country have lit up the Internet with the story that we have been alerting you to over the past 48 hours. Here are just some of the headlines:
    * “The NRA sells out to Democrats on the First Amendment,” The Wall Street Journal
    * “Conservatives take on the NRA over deal on disclosure bill,” The Washington Post
    * “The National Rifle Association’s Excuse Holds No Water,” RedState.org
    The conservative movement (and to be honest, many liberal organizations as well) are coming together to loudly protest the DISCLOSE Act -- legislation that threatens to gag our ability to effectively hold individual congressmen accountable in the days and weeks leading up to an election.
    It is imperative that we continue hammering the Congress. But rather than cry “uncle,” liberal Democrats are now trying to buy off more groups with an exemption for those that have at least 500,000 members (rather than the higher threshold of one million, which would have applied to few groups other than the NRA).
    Of course, how is the government going to know how many members an organization has? According to the legislation, each organization will have to certify to a government commission how many members they have. But what if the commission wants documentation; will the organization have to “disclose” the names of their members?
    GOA, of course, will never do this. Furthermore, you should know that your Gun Owners of America can NOT be bought off. We will continue opposing this bill on principle, urging all gun groups to stick together in this fight. As we stated yesterday, we realize that: “We must all hang together, or we will all hang separately.”
    GOA applauds NRA Director Cleta Mitchell for the courageous stand she took today. (You can read her editorial here.) We hope that the NRA leadership will heed her wisdom and take a stand against this bill. If they don’t, we wouldn’t be surprised if NRA members start demanding a change in their leadership. After all, the NRA has engaged in many good fights over the years, and it would be a shame to lose this VERY IMPORTANT battle because high-ranking staff led the NRA down the wrong path.
    ACTION:
    1. Please call your congressman today and urge him or her to oppose HR 5175. We’ve asked you to send emails before, but now on the eve before the vote, it is crucial that the phones ring off the hook. If they’re not ringing, they won’t be worried.
    You can use the Talking Points below to call your Representative toll-free at 1-877-762-8762.
    2. If you haven’t yet urged the NRA staff to change its position on HR 5175 and stand with Gun Owners of America, please do so. NRA Director Cleta Mitchell was absolutely correct, and the NRA leadership should heed her wisdom. You can call the NRA at (800) 392-VOTE (8683).
    3. Please help Gun Owners of America to continue fighting for your rights. You can go to Contribute to GOA to help us alert as many people as possible to the DISCLOSE Act threat.

----- Talking Points for contacting your Representative -----
    1. I stand with Gun Owners of America in opposing the DISCLOSE Act (HR 5175).
    2. The Bill of Rights is clear in saying that Congress has no authority to pass legislation like this. Just like the Second Amendment says our gun rights “shall not be infringed,” the First Amendment says “Congress shall make no law … abridging the freedom of speech.”
    3. The Supreme Court was right earlier this year in the Citizens United case. Sen. John McCain -- the author of the Campaign Finance Reform law (otherwise known as the Incumbent Protection Act) -- was wrong. Americans, and the groups they choose to associate with, should be able to criticize Congress in the days and weeks leading up to an election WITHOUT BEING GAGGED OR FORCED TO JUMP THROUGH HOOPS that are mandated by Congress.

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

5. Wow.

Done

Pelosi Trying to Shove DISCLOSE Act through Congress Once Again...

Pelosi Trying to Shove DISCLOSE Act through Congress Once Again
    -- NRA remains on the sidelines

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
    Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
    Join GOA Online With our Secure Online Membership form.

"A top House Democrat said Monday that he remains hopeful of mustering enough votes to pass sweeping new campaign finance legislation, which has prompted a political uproar over a deal crafted to help the National Rifle Association." -- The Washington Post, June 21, 2010

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Washington Post corroborates what Gun Owners of America has been hearing on Capitol Hill. Top Democrat leaders in the House are trying to make another go at the DISCLOSE Act... and they think they are very close to getting the votes to pass it. According to the Post article from yesterday:

Democrats are "in striking distance of getting the votes" for the package, which would require corporations, nonprofit groups [like GOA] and unions to disclose details about their political spending.

The big news last week was a "carve out" that Democrat leaders made to exempt the NRA from the provisions of the bill. This week, in order to gain more votes, there is talk about exempting many more non-profit organizations -- which may include GOA.

Our answer to Congress is simple and is found in the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law... abridging the freedom of speech." In other words, NO DEAL.

The NRA claims, in a widely circulated letter, that "some of our critics believe we should put the Second Amendment at risk over a First Amendment principle to protect other organizations."

To the contrary, sacrificing a First Amendment principle will end up putting the Second Amendment on even more precarious footing.

The restrictions on government power contained in the Bill of Rights do not exist in a vacuum. For instance, the First Amendment protections are what allow groups like GOA and people like you to complain to the Congress about anti-gun legislation, while the Fourth Amendment keeps the government from coming into our homes without a warrant to seize our guns.

The DISCLOSE Act will impose a host of new restrictions upon groups like GOA, effectively limiting our ability to hold individual congressmen accountable in the weeks leading up to an election.

Your activism against this bill so far has been OUTSTANDING, and it is the reason why liberal Democrats are trying to mute the voice of the gun lobby. While other groups might acquiesce to a deal, GOA will oppose this bill so long as even one gun owner's voice is silenced.

The Democrat leadership is trying very hard to round up the votes to pass the bill this week.

ACTION: Please keep up the pressure. We must continue to contact our Congressmen in opposition to the DISCLOSE Act and urge others to do the same. If we are going to defeat the Obama gun control agenda, we have to be able to speak out against the politicians who are sacrificing our rights on the altar of liberalism.

1. You can call your Representative toll-free at 1-877-762-8762; or you can use the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm to send a pre-written message to your Representative.

2. Also, urge the NRA to change its position on the DISCLOSE Act and stand with Gun Owners of America. All the gun groups need to stick together on this. You can call the NRA at (800) 392-VOTE (8683).

----- Pre-written letter -----

Dear Representative:

Vote "NO" on the DISCLOSE Act (HR 5175). Every member who votes "yes" -- including you -- will be remembered at election time and I will vote NO on you.

Do not accept any deals... do not support any compromises... do not vote for this infringement of the First Amendment at all.

Sincerely,
    your name here

Thanks for posting the latest GOA e-mail alert, Bohemian. Now I have one question to ask our Forum Buddies. After you've read the above post, by Bo, who do YOU believe has the backbone to stand up to Congress and stand for ALL of our Constitutional freedoms...the NRA or the GOA? As you may have noticed, I'm a Life Member of the GOA and proud of it! I appear to have made an excellent investment in our nation's future...the Patriot's version of the Stimulus Act!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

RINOS & NRA Sell-Out on DISCLOSE ACT TODAY !!!

House Passes DISCLOSE Act

By: John Brandt and Chad Pergram, FOX News

The House of Representatives has passed a bill to blunt the impact of a Supreme Court decision that ruled as unconstitutional curbs on outside organizations which buy political TV ads.
    The bill is designed to increase disclosure requirements for third party groups as a response to the so-called "Citizens United" case.
    Under the act, third party groups would have to list who their largest donors are along with other previously confidential information. The bill’s sponsor, Democratic Campaign Committee Chairman Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., says that the legislation will add transparency to the electoral process. Conservatives say the act is an infringement on First Amendment rights.
    Some liberal Democrats objected to a recently added carve-out in the bill for large, established advocacy groups such as the National Rifle Association. The bill’s sponsors said the measure would not have been able to pass without the special provision.
    The House approved the bill 219 to 206.
    More than 30 Democrats voted against the legislation. Two Republicans sided with Democrats on the issue: Reps. Joseph Cao (R-LA) and Mike Castle (R-DE).

House Passes DISCLOSE Act The Speakers Lobby

These RINOS sould be Familiar they SOLD US OUT ON OBAMACARE TOO!

START BY WARMING UP THEIR FAX, TELEPHONES AND EMAIL AND SNAIL MAILS...

FIRE THEM if you live in Louisiana & Delaware ...

Help Fire Them If You Don't...

Mean-While...

STOP THE DISCLOSE ACT IN THE SENATE ...

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    Thanks for posting the latest GOA e-mail alert, Bohemian. Now I have one question to ask our Forum Buddies. After you've read the above post, by Bo, who do YOU believe has the backbone to stand up to Congress and stand for ALL of our Constitutional freedoms...the NRA or the GOA? As you may have noticed, I'm a Life Member of the GOA and proud of it! I appear to have made an excellent investment in our nation's future...the Patriot's version of the Stimulus Act!
    The NRA and GOA and anyone else that loves freedom.
    And by the way Mom, emails sent. Thanks for the link at GOA.

__________________________________________________ _
    Christian, gun toting NRA Life Member

God is alive and watching. COUNT ON IT!

I read H.R. 5175 yesterday, the only part that comes close to giving the NRA a BYE is the section on how much a member can donate, that plus the fact that the NRA, unlike the GOA, does not openly campaign for a candidate thru contributions or publicity. I might be wrong, but I don't feel like I am. I'm a member of the GOA and I've been a NRA Life Member way before there ever was an GOA in 1975, I joined the NRA as a 12 year old youngster, (I'm now 68 years old). The Bill isn't Law yet... it still has to pass muster in the Senate before it is signed by the Magic Negro-in-Charge.
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast