Obama Moves to Silence Gun Groups and Other Political Opponents - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Obama Moves to Silence Gun Groups and Other Political Opponents

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    I read H.R. 5175 yesterday, the only part that comes close to giving the NRA a BYE is the section on how much a member can donate, that plus the fact that the NRA, unlike the GOA, does not openly campaign for a candidate thru contributions or publicity. I might be wrong, but I don't feel like I am. I'm a member of the GOA and I've been a NRA Life Member way before there ever was an GOA in 1975, I joined the NRA as a 12 year old youngster, (I'm now 68 years old). The Bill isn't Law yet... it still has to pass muster in the Senate before it is signed by the Magic Negro-in-Charge.
    Your kidding right Ed?

This is a Obama & Company END-RUN AROUND THE CONSTITUTION & THE RECENT SCOTUS DECISION That gives organizations including but not limited to the NRA, MoveOn, SEIU, ACORN a fricking EXEMPTION that Gun Owners of America, Second Amendment Foundation, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership and other Pro-Second Amendment Organizations that DO NOT COMPROMISE ON THE SECOND AMENDMENT DO NOT GET...

You have heard of the National Rifle Association's Institute for Legislative Action Right?

You do see the weekly NRAILA SPAM in your snail-mail box on a weekly basis as a NRA member right? (I do)

Gun Ban Barack Obama
    NRA-ILA : Clinton Gun Ban
    NRA-ILA ::

Sorry Ed ... you have the DISCLOSE ACT and the NRA wrong on all accounts...

Not the least of which is the the little orange post cards (and voice mails they leave) the NRA sends all of its members whenever they publicly endorse through "contributions and publicity"... candidates they think are pro-gun, pro-constitution...
    Such as DIRTY HARRY REID (D-NV) ...
    You can imagine my surprise when I got a post card from the NRA stating I should call & THANK HARRY REID !

...Under the House compromise ... the NRA would be exempt from the requirements if they are more than 10 years old, (THEY ARE) have at least 1 million members (THEY DO) and receive 15 percent or less of their funding from corporations, (THEY DO) ... Democrats said...
    washingtonpost.com

NRA exemption shows campaign disclosure bill's cynical, fatal flaws

H.R.5175

DISCLOSE Act (Reported in House - RH)
    SEC. 301. REQUIRING DISCLOSURE BY COVERED ORGANIZATIONS OF INFORMATION ON CAMPAIGN-RELATED ACTIVITY.

• Title III of the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 (2 U.S.C. 431 et seq.), as amended by section 213, is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

• `(c) Covered Organization Defined- In this section, the term `covered organization' means any of the following:

• `(1) Any corporation which is subject to section 316(a).

• `(2) Any labor organization (as defined in section 316).

• `(3) Any organization described in paragraph (4), (5), or (6) of section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and exempt from tax under section 501(a) of such Code.

• `(4) Any political organization under section 527 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, other than a political committee under this Act.'.

Bill Summary & Status - 111th Congress (2009 - 2010) - H.R.5175 - All Congressional Actions with Amendments - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

I don't trust the NRA as far as I can throw them...

... congressional leaders announced they would exempt us from its draconian restrictions on free speech. If that happens, we will not be involved in the final House debate. If it doesn't, we will continue to strongly oppose the bill. - NRA Statement June 17th, 2010 ...

“[T]he NRA -- on whose board of directors I serve -- rather than holding steadfastly to its historic principles of defending the Constitution and continuing its noble fight against government regulation of political speech instead opted for a political deal borne of self-interest in exchange for ‘neutrality’ from the legislation's requirements.”

-- NRA Director Cleta Mitchell, June 17, 2010

Source:
    washingtonpost.com

The NRA Supported the National Firearms Act of 1934, In fact, they've supported gun rights infringements "since...1871." ...
    The NRA Continues To Compromise On The Second Amendment

Gun Owners Of America - The Only No-Compromise Gun Lobby In Washington:
    Gun Owners of America

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

passed by the house june 24

First amendment down, second on the ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by crstrode View Post
    passed by the house june 24

First amendment down, second on the ropes.
    "We (The Democrats) Will Fundamentally Transform America" - Barack Obama

Hopefully, we will be able to knee-cap Obama & Company's transformation by taking back Congress this November...
    IF we don't we are done for...

EVERY VOTE COUNTS...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    "We (The Democrats) Will Fundamentally Transform America" - Barack Obama

Hopefully, we will be able to knee-cap Obama & Company's transformation by taking back Congress this November...
    IF we don't we are done for...

EVERY VOTE COUNTS...
    If we don't then perhaps revolt is in order...

We The People will have to make sure the transformation is back to America. What we have here now I believe, would make the Founding Fathers sick...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Stop Dirty Harry Reid & Chucky Schumer From Passing The "DISCLOSE ACT"

Senate Scheduled to Vote on Free Speech Stranglehold Bill
    -- DISCLOSE Act Vote Set For Tuesday

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
    Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
    http://www.gunowners.org

Monday, July 26, 2010

Just as gun owners are engaged in the intense battle over anti-gun Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan, Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) introduced a new version of a bill that will gut the First Amendment rights of groups like GOA.

The so-called DISCLOSE Act, which passed the House last month, puts severe and unconstitutional limits on our ability to hold individual congressmen accountable in the weeks leading up to an election.

Chuck Schumer, who would like to do away with the Second Amendment, is now also trampling all over the First Amendment as a way to protect himself and his anti-gun colleagues from voters like you.

You may recall that the DISCLOSE Act passed the House only after a controversial carve-out was added to exempt the NRA from the bill's provisions. Unfortunately, the NRA -- which had originally opposed the bill because it was unconstitutional -- withdrew its opposition after the carve-out was inserted.

The exemption was maintained in the Schumer version of the bill.

Ironically, while the bill is called the DISCLOSE Act, Schumer and Majority Leader Harry Reid are using the rules of the Senate to bypass any committee hearings -- where the merits of the bill could be debated and the American people could see just how the Constitution is being undermined.

The bill will most likely come to the floor on Tuesday afternoon, where it will take 60 votes to "close off debate" on the measure.

So it is imperative that Second Amendment supporters contact their two Senators right away and urge them to oppose the DISCLOSE Act.

Some Senators may complain that this is not a Second Amendment issue. To the contrary, if GOA is hindered in communicating to the public about members of Congress and legislation they may be voting on, that undermining of the First Amendment will certainly have an effect on the Second Amendment.

The type of speech GOA is involved in -- political speech -- is first and foremost what the framers of the Bill of Rights had in mind when they wrote that "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech."

Please urge your Senators to protect ALL of your constitutional liberties.

ACTION: Please contact your Senators and urge them to oppose the new version of the Disclose Act. You can use the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center at http://gunowners.org/activism.htm to send your Senators the pre-written e-mail message below.

----- Pre-written letter -----

Dear Senator:

I stand with Gun Owners of America in opposing Senator Schumer's new version of so-called DISCLOSE Act.

It is outrageous that the House of Representatives passed this legislation with a deal to exempt certain large organizations from its terms. This smacks of the money-for-votes fiasco which helped grease the skids for passage of ObamaCare and which has already lowered Congress' reputation to unprecedented depths.

I was glad to see that Senator Mitch McConnell blasted this deal, which was especially aimed at carving out special exemptions for the NRA leadership in exchange for their promise to sit on their hands and not oppose the DISCLOSE Act. "If there is one thing Americans loathe about Washington, it's the backroom dealing to win the vote of organizations with power and influence at the expense of everyone else," McConnell said.

"Just as it wasn't the Democrats' money to offer in the health care debate, free speech isn't theirs to ration out to those willing to play ball -- it's a right guaranteed."

Another irony with the whole process surrounding this legislation is that while the bill is called the DISCLOSE Act, Sen. Schumer and Majority Leader Harry Reid are bypassing the committee process -- where the merits of the bill could be debated and the American people could see just how the Constitution is being undermined.

Gun Owners of America represents hundreds of thousands of Second Amendment supporters. Any bill that hampers the right of groups like this to communicate with the public is also an attack on my rights.

Please vote NO on Sen. Schumer's DISCLOSE Act.

Sincerely,
    your name here

I will have to say one thing. Of all the promises that the Marxist in charge made the one about changing America is the one he has kept. That is part of his NO HOPE and Chains..
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345