Guns for Butter?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guns for Butter?

Thumbs down Guns for Butter?

Gee I wonder how much they give for a water gun. You know, most of Texas is pretty conservative but I have to tell you Austin would make a good city in California.

Guns for Butter?

Guns for Butter? Guns for Butter? | Print | E-mail
    Written by Michael Tennant
    Tuesday, 08 June 2010 16:20

The Austin, Texas, Police Department conducted its first “Guns4Groceries” drive on June 5. Modeled “on programs in Chicago, Los Angeles, Oakland, Calif., and Philadelphia that have successfully removed thousands of guns from the streets,” according to the Austin American-Statesman, the program offered grocery-store gift cards in exchange for people’s unwanted guns, which they could turn in with “no questions asked,” said the paper.

“A $100 gift card was given for each handgun or rifle, a $200 gift card for each assault rifle and a $10 card for air, BB or replica guns,” according to the American-Statesman. Yes, you read that correctly: turning in a fake gun would have netted someone 10 bucks and allegedly made the streets of Austin safer.

In purely numerical terms, the program was a success. The police, reported the newspaper, “collected 343 weapons: 166 handguns, 96 rifles, two assault rifles and 79 shotguns.” People began lining up an hour and a half before the event began, according to News 8 Austin. The initial $10,000 in private donations raised for the event by its cosponsor, the Greater Austin Crime Commission, was quickly exhausted, so the commission kicked in an additional $20,000, and even that was gone in short order. The police continued to collect guns for a few hours longer but had no more gift cards to exchange for them.

The good news is that the taxpayers weren’t forced to fund this feel-good project, aside from paying the officers to administer the program. The bad news is that so many individuals chose to donate to it, apparently oblivious to the fact that it won’t do a thing to reduce crime. After all, are criminals really going to show up at such an event when there are cops all around, and are they likely to turn in guns they’ve used or plan to use in the commission of a crime? More likely, you’ll get people who have old guns lying around that they don’t want, such as Laurie Delong, who told News 8 Austin, “People like me who don’t use them, haven’t taken them out of the case for 25 years. If my house was broken into and [the guns] stolen, then they could be used against somebody else or for a crime.”

A study of a similar gun buyback program in Seattle back in 1992 bears out these contentions. Published in Public Health Reports in 1994, the study found that the “program failed to reduce significantly the frequency of firearm injuries, deaths, or crimes.” Seventy-four percent of those responding to a participant survey reported that they were turning in a firearm because it was a “safe way to get rid of a gun they no longer wanted,” and 21 percent did so “out of fear ‘someone in my home might get hurt.’” Meanwhile, 66 percent of respondents reported retaining ownership of other firearms, and three percent said the money they received (cash rather than gift cards) “would be used to purchase another firearm or would be donated to the National Rifle Association.” Nevertheless, public support for the program remained high, reflecting the average American’s typical preoccupation with the intentions of a government program rather than its results.

Speaking of those afflicted with this particular preoccupation, if the donors to Guns4Groceries really want to reduce crime and not just give themselves the warm fuzzies, next time they ought to consider contributing to a program that purchases guns for law-abiding people, for as John Lott has repeatedly demonstrated, more guns in the hands of non-criminals result in less crime.

Michael Tennant is a software developer and freelance writer in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
    Written by Michael Tennant
    Tuesday, 08 June 2010 16:20

The Austin, Texas, Police Department conducted its first “Guns4Groceries” drive on June 5. Modeled “on programs in Chicago, Los Angeles, Oakland, Calif., and Philadelphia that have successfully removed thousands of guns from the streets,” according to the Austin American-Statesman, the program offered grocery-store gift cards in exchange for people’s unwanted guns, which they could turn in with “no questions asked,” said the paper.

“A $100 gift card was given for each handgun or rifle, a $200 gift card for each assault rifle and a $10 card for air, BB or replica guns,” according to the American-Statesman. Yes, you read that correctly: turning in a fake gun would have netted someone 10 bucks and allegedly made the streets of Austin safer.

In purely numerical terms, the program was a success. The police, reported the newspaper, “collected 343 weapons: 166 handguns, 96 rifles, two assault rifles and 79 shotguns.” People began lining up an hour and a half before the event began, according to News 8 Austin. The initial $10,000 in private donations raised for the event by its cosponsor, the Greater Austin Crime Commission, was quickly exhausted, so the commission kicked in an additional $20,000, and even that was gone in short order. The police continued to collect guns for a few hours longer but had no more gift cards to exchange for them.

The good news is that the taxpayers weren’t forced to fund this feel-good project, aside from paying the officers to administer the program. The bad news is that so many individuals chose to donate to it, apparently oblivious to the fact that it won’t do a thing to reduce crime. After all, are criminals really going to show up at such an event when there are cops all around, and are they likely to turn in guns they’ve used or plan to use in the commission of a crime? More likely, you’ll get people who have old guns lying around that they don’t want, such as Laurie Delong, who told News 8 Austin, “People like me who don’t use them, haven’t taken them out of the case for 25 years. If my house was broken into and [the guns] stolen, then they could be used against somebody else or for a crime.”

A study of a similar gun buyback program in Seattle back in 1992 bears out these contentions. Published in Public Health Reports in 1994, the study found that the “program failed to reduce significantly the frequency of firearm injuries, deaths, or crimes.” Seventy-four percent of those responding to a participant survey reported that they were turning in a firearm because it was a “safe way to get rid of a gun they no longer wanted,” and 21 percent did so “out of fear ‘someone in my home might get hurt.’” Meanwhile, 66 percent of respondents reported retaining ownership of other firearms, and three percent said the money they received (cash rather than gift cards) “would be used to purchase another firearm or would be donated to the National Rifle Association.” Nevertheless, public support for the program remained high, reflecting the average American’s typical preoccupation with the intentions of a government program rather than its results.

Speaking of those afflicted with this particular preoccupation, if the donors to Guns4Groceries really want to reduce crime and not just give themselves the warm fuzzies, next time they ought to consider contributing to a program that purchases guns for law-abiding people, for as John Lott has repeatedly demonstrated, more guns in the hands of non-criminals result in less crime.

Michael Tennant is a software developer and freelance writer in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

More sheeple responding to the call of the shepherd..... I am amazed that they continue to get this kind of response from the citizens (subjects)...I used to live in the Oakland, Ca. area and they did these frequently... that place was a **** hole, is a **** hole and will always be a **** hole,and no amount of voluntary disarming in return for $$ will ever change that...but it makes the libs feel warm and fuzzy inside...

Anyone want to go in on an island with me somewhere? Far away from these fools with plenty of gun turrets all around??

I wonder if a private citizen could do this? Imagine the kind of guns you could collect from the idiots, and then turn around and sell them to gun shops for a profit. I use to buy gold, silver and diamonds in my last business and man did we make money!

Used to? Why'd you quit?

I suspect that water pistols only warrant a pat of margarine.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

To much government intervention into my business. I'm sure you can relate.

JSDinTexas Guest

Austin - home of the weak and easily excited

I am surprised the turnout was so low. Austin is the capital of standing in any line that panders to the uninformed, Obama loving, tree-hugging eco-veggie, liberal, gun control, protest anything bunch. One of the places Al Quida and the Taliban are missing out on, since they would be welcomed with open arms as a diversified ethnic minority.
    These people would have climbed on the first train to Auschwitz if the Austin city govt made the announcement.
    They are an embarrasment and standing joke to any real Texan.
    Last edited by JSDinTexas; 06-13-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Good grief...why can't the people see that "Guns for Groceries" is just another form of gun control? I've heard the question asked, "How much freedom are you willing to give up for a little security", but NEVER "How much freedom are you willing to give up for a meal".
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    I am surprised the turnout was so low. Austin is the capital of standing in any line that panders to the uninformed, Obama loving, tree-hugging eco-veggie, liberal, gun control, protest anything bunch. One of the places Al Quida and the Taliban are missing out on, since they would be welcomed with open arms as a diversified ethnic minority.
    These people would have climbed on the first train to Auschwitz if the Austin city govt made the announcement.
    They are an embarrasment and standing joke to any real Texan.
    I am sure you know that the motto of Austin is "Keep Austin Weird". It pretty well fits.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Please post the next time you hear of one of these comeing up HK. I would like to go work the lines to see if there is anything I would like to buy before they turn them in for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by DougG View Post
    Please post the next time you hear of one of these comeing up HK. I would like to go work the lines to see if there is anything I would like to buy before they turn them in for nothing.
    I have been thinking I should do my civic duty and have one of these buy back programs myself. I would be willing to help keep those horrible guns off the street and provide them with a good home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast