NEWS: Obama Urges Congress to Pass Doc Fix

Thread: NEWS: Obama Urges Congress to Pass Doc Fix

NEWS: Obama Urges Congress to Pass Doc Fix

BILLIONS of dollars in new spending? Are we going to borrow THIS from China, too? D. C. is "selling" our country for a temporary fix! And, whose fault is it that there's a scheduled 21% cut in Medicare payments to doctors?

FOXNews.com - Obama Urges Congress to Pass Doc Fix

Published June 13, 2010
    | Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama is asking Republican lawmakers to approve billions of dollars in new spending to avert a scheduled 21 percent cut in payments to doctors who treat Medicare patients.

If GOP senators don't allow the stalled proposal to pass, some doctors will stop treating Medicare recipients, Obama said in his weekly radio and Internet address Saturday.

Many GOP lawmakers, and some Democrats, have balked at further stimulus spending, fearing the deficit is getting out of hand.

The Senate's top Republican, Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, said his party wants to avoid reducing physicians' Medicare fees, but do it without adding to the deficit -- meaning spending cuts elsewhere.

The president noted that since 2003, Congresses led by Democrats and by Republicans alike have blocked similar proposed cuts in doctors' reimbursement rates. But now, he said, Republicans are "willing to walk away from the needs of our doctors and our seniors."

The "doc fix" is part of a large, Democratic-drafted bill that would extend several popular tax breaks while greatly increasing the tax that oil companies pay into a spill liability fund. Republican senators have focused their objections on the bill's tax increases, not the doctors' pay matter.

"Even in the face of public outrage, Democrats are showing either that they just don't get it on this issue of the debt, or that they just don't care," McConnell said.

For years, lawmakers from both parties have said they would trim Medicare reimbursement rates as a way to save money and make their budget plans appear more frugal. Later, in a move that watchdog groups call cynical, the lawmakers routinely set aside the proposed cuts in doctor payments, which are considered politically unpalatable.

Obama acknowledged that a better plan is needed.

"I realize that simply kicking these cuts down the road another year is not a long-term solution," he said. "I am committed to permanently reforming this Medicare formula in a way that balances fiscal responsibility with the responsibility we have to doctors and seniors."

The president said he is "absolutely willing to take the difficult steps necessary to lower the cost of Medicare and put our budget on a more fiscally sustainable path. But I'm not willing to do that by punishing hardworking physicians or the millions of Americans who count on Medicare. That's just wrong. And that's why in the short-term, Congress must act to prevent this pay cut to doctors."

In the GOP weekly radio address, House Republican leader John Boehner of Ohio called on Obama to rein in government spending and accused the president of "refusing to make the tough choices" when it comes to budget cuts. While Boehner did not mention the dispute over Medicare doctor payments, he renewed his attack on the new health care law, saying its "burdensome mandates and tax increases" are stalling economic recovery.
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

They are spending our money like a drunken sailor. No offense to any of you navy guys or gals.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

4. Seriously? Why do we even have a deficit? With all that we pay in taxes, you'd think the government could at least make their spending break even.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    Seriously? Why do we even have a deficit? With all that we pay in taxes, you'd think the government could at least make their spending break even.

Because the puppet masters want us to have a deficit.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    Seriously? Why do we even have a deficit? With all that we pay in taxes, you'd think the government could at least make their spending break even.
    +1, Midnight. As responsible individuals, WE don't spend beyond our income, a/k/a known as a balanced budget. The government COULD and SHOULD do the same. There are just too many entitlement programs and pork barrel spending and stimulus packages and bailouts and...into infinity!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

wolfhunter Guest
    Right, Mom. Cutting out pork spending and "entitlements" will be hard on many Americans, and will cause a lot of incumbents to lose office, but until we can get spending reduced, we will be in debt.

In industry, a lot of focus is on what value a process step adds to the end product. Some steps add value, some don't but are required for regulatory or process-control measures, others add no value. We strive to remove the third type and reduce the second. How successful we are at this reflects how profitable and competitive we can be. This same philosophy needs to be applied to government spending. Does this Allocation make us a better stronger country? Does it encourage wastefulness and sloth? Can this Program be more effectively accomplished at a lower level?

Mom, those programs buy votes. That seems to be pretty high in the Democrat hand book for re-election.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Right, Mom. Cutting out pork spending and "entitlements" will be hard on many Americans, and will cause a lot of incumbents to lose office, but until we can get spending reduced, we will be in debt.

In industry, a lot of focus is on what value a process step adds to the end product. Some steps add value, some don't but are required for regulatory or process-control measures, others add no value. We strive to remove the third type and reduce the second. How successful we are at this reflects how profitable and competitive we can be. This same philosophy needs to be applied to government spending. Does this Allocation make us a better stronger country? Does it encourage wastefulness and sloth? Can this Program be more effectively accomplished at a lower level?
    +1 WolfHunter !

Where I work, we are working about about 50-60% of staffing compared to January 08..we have been asked to cut budgets in every area, re-evaluate processes, come up with new ways of doing things, and identifying things that can be done away with.... that being said, it's way too logical to think the FEDS can apply these same principals... state and local government take the hits during tough times, but the FEDS seem to always play by their own playbook....

As stated earlier, cutting back special interest spending and cutting the pork from bills and budgets would cause them to loose political support, and that my friend, is the sad bottom line in the matter. They care more about their political well being, than the well being of our country