Is the NRA Still Worth Supporting?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the NRA Still Worth Supporting?

Is the NRA Still Worth Supporting?

In the news lately, it has become increasingly, painfully clear that NRA's Wayne LaPierre is throwing his organization's support behind Harry Reid, in Reid's attempt to hold on to his seat. Using the argument that Reid is an avid 2nd Amendment supporter totally ignores the fact that Reid has supported the most anti-gun administration in our nation's history.

How does one support one of the rights in the Bill of Rights while tying to destroy the rest of the Constitution? Common sense tells us that this is impossible, but only a politician of Reid's caliber would attempt to legitimize it. And in that context, how can the NRA support a politician who is so duplicitous in his actions? Is the NRA so single-focused that it cannot see the forest for the trees? Or for that matter, the forest for a single tree?

IMHO, it is time to re-think support for the NRA. So what if they fight for our right to own guns? If we lose our other freedoms, if we lose our Constitution, the 2nd Amendment will be a moot point. There are currently 3 opponents in the NV race against Reid. All three of them support the ENTIRE Constitution, and are ardently against the leftist regime now in power. As such, the NRA has the chance to support any of these, and Sharron Angle is the odds-on favorite right now.

If we do not see a change in the NRA's decision to support Reid in this race, it can only mean that Wayne LaPierre cares not for anything but guns, guns, guns, and cannot think beyond that singular topic. And in this mode, I do not think that the NRA is a viable supporter of gun rights, or any other right, for that matter. And, as such, deserves no more support from the gun community. I belong to the NRA, and GOA. I think I'll cut my losses right now, and stick with the group that believes in freedom and liberty as a whole, and not just the 2nd Amendment.
    Last edited by Piece Corps; 06-14-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: typos
    -= Piece Corps =-

3. The NRA supports the second amendment. There are all kinds of groups out there to support other individual issues. There are groups who fight for hunger, groups that fight for animals, groups that fight for cancer, groups that fight for queers. The NRA fights for the second amendment.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

wolfhunter Guest
    The NRA SUPPORTED both the 1968 Gun Control Act and the 1934 NFA. How are they supportive of 2A? They are in support of 2A DEBATE because they've convinced the nation's gun owners to send them MONEY to "fight for our rights" AFTER they gave our rights away. Please send more money, Wayne and Chris need pay raises.

Or better yet send your money to GOA, 2A Foundation,RKBA, or JPFO. Organizations that actually want to restore our right to keep and bear arms without infringement.

I've been a member since Nov 2009. That's a short time, so I don't have the advantage of history on my side as to whether or not the NRA has been effective. But I will let you know one thing that bears watching. Their accounting system is terrible, and that begs a LOT of questions. Just since Nov, I have received TWO notifications that it's time to renew my membership. the first one came about two months into the year. I called and was told to disregard the notice. The second one came this week.

With all the bills that come into the house, it would be very easy to just pay it and go on about things, not really knowing the correct renewal date. I can forgive them once. But not twice! If they can't keep things straight any better than that, what are they doing with our lobby money?

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    I've been a member since Nov 2009. That's a short time, so I don't have the advantage of history on my side as to whether or not the NRA has been effective. But I will let you know one thing that bears watching. Their accounting system is terrible, and that begs a LOT of questions. Just since Nov, I have received TWO notifications that it's time to renew my membership. the first one came about two months into the year. I called and was told to disregard the notice. The second one came this week.

With all the bills that come into the house, it would be very easy to just pay it and go on about things, not really knowing the correct renewal date. I can forgive them once. But not twice! If they can't keep things straight any better than that, what are they doing with our lobby money?
    They will send you a notice to renew or a request to support some effort every month. If you send a check to their Political Victory Fund or other programs, the number of requests will increase exponentially. This is not due to a poor accounting system, this is a deliberate attempt to collect your money. If you were to renew every time they sent a notice, they actually would add the appropriate years to your membership date.

The NRA endorsements follow a simple formula.

If you are an incumbent and always vote pro RKBA, you get their endorsement no matter what party.

They have to support an incumbent who votes right. Even if a challenger is in a better party, and answers the same as the incumbent.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    The NRA SUPPORTED both the 1968 Gun Control Act and the 1934 NFA. How are they supportive of 2A? They are in support of 2A DEBATE because they've convinced the nation's gun owners to send them MONEY to "fight for our rights" AFTER they gave our rights away. Please send more money, Wayne and Chris need pay raises.

Or better yet send your money to GOA, 2A Foundation,RKBA, or JPFO. Organizations that actually want to restore our right to keep and bear arms without infringement.
    Ancient history. Plus, the NFA and GCA stories are a wee bit more complicated than you seem to suggest.

Unlike GOA, they don't send their leaders to speak at white supremacist conventions.

Their reps don't flash swastikas at people like the Oregon House Speaker( "Just wait Vera, we'll come and get you too.." ) who just happens to be Holocaust survivor.

I never heard the Brady Bunch scream about GOA JFPO, Or SAF blocking "Reasonable Gun Laws"

Obviously, brady fears the others very little.

Just my $0.02

-Doc

9. Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    They will send you a notice to renew or a request to support some effort every month. If you send a check to their Political Victory Fund or other programs, the number of requests will increase exponentially. This is not due to a poor accounting system, this is a deliberate attempt to collect your money. If you were to renew every time they sent a notice, they actually would add the appropriate years to your membership date.
    Very well said wolf. That is exactly what happened with my wife and I when we joined a couple years ago. Simular topic on a different thread. My funds are going elsewhere now.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Ancient history. Plus, the NFA and GCA stories are a wee bit more complicated than you seem to suggest.

Unlike GOA, they don't send their leaders to speak at white supremacist conventions.

Their reps don't flash swastikas at people like the Oregon House Speaker( "Just wait Vera, we'll come and get you too.." ) who just happens to be Holocaust survivor.

I never heard the Brady Bunch scream about GOA JFPO, Or SAF blocking "Reasonable Gun Laws"

Obviously, brady fears the others very little.

Just my $0.02

-Doc
    The only complication to the NFA and GCA stories is the fact that the NRA was on the OPPOSITE side of gun owners for both.

I'll check out the two racism accounts you mention.

Yes, the NRA gets more attention than the others, that doesn't make them better.

NRA has gotten my last $0.02 until they start lobbying to repeal NFA, GCA and at least the inclusion of the Hughes Amendment to FOPA.

USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast