Hispanic Apparent Winner in Unusual NY Election

Thread: Hispanic Apparent Winner in Unusual NY Election

Would someone like to try and explain this to me?

FOXNews.com - Hispanic Apparent Winner in Unusual NY Election
    State & Local
    State & Local

Published June 16, 2010

| Associated Press

PORT CHESTER, N.Y. -- An unusual election
    in a New York City suburb, in which voters could cast six ballots for one candidate, apparently resulted Wednesday in the first Hispanic elected to the village Board of Trustees.

Luis Marino, a school district maintenance director, was in fourth place among 13 candidates for six trustee positions in the final but unofficial vote count, said Aldo Vitagliano, a spokesman for the village of Port Chester.

Marino, a Democrat, had 1,962 votes, well back of leader Bart Didden, an independent, who had 2,576. But Marino was well ahead of the seventh-place candidate, who had 1,272. Only 28 affidavit ballots remained to be counted, Vitagliano said.

Marino, 43, was thrilled.

"I am very happy, and I hope to do my best," he said. "I was happy to do whatever the people decided."

The court-imposed election was held after a federal judge ruled that Port Chester's conventional at-large trustee elections violated the Voting Rights Act. Although the village of about 30,000 residents is nearly half Hispanic, no Latino had ever been elected to any of the six trustee seats. Most voters were white, and white candidates always won.

The success of one of the two Hispanics on the ballot could lead to wider use of the unusual voting system, called cumulative voting, especially as a remedy for discrimination. Port Chester was the first municipality in New York to use it, said Amy Ngai, a director at FairVote, a nonprofit election research and reform group that was hired to consult in Port Chester.

In cumulative voting, residents get multiple votes to apportion as they wish among the candidates. Experts said the system allows a political minority to gain representation if it organizes and focuses its voting strength on specific candidates.

Cumulative voting has been used to elect the school board in Amarillo, Texas, the county commission in Chilton County, Ala., and the City Council in Peoria, Ill.

The judge also ordered Port Chester to implement in-person early voting, allowing residents to show up on any of five days before Tuesday to cast ballots. That, too, is a first in New York, Ngai said.

Village clerk Joan Mancuso said 604 residents voted early. Total turnout had not been calculated early Wednesday.

Arthur Furano, an 80-year-old lifelong resident of Port Chester, voted Thursday and gave all six of his votes to one candidate.

"That was very strange," he said. "I'm not sure I liked it. All my life, I've heard, 'one man, one vote."'

His wife, Gloria Furano, gave one vote each to six candidates.

On Tuesday, Candida Sandoval voted at the Don Bosco Center, where a soup kitchen and day laborer hiring center added to the activity, and where federal observers watched the voting from a table in the corner.

"I hope that if Hispanics get in, they do something for all the Hispanic people," Sandoval said in Spanish. "I don't know, but I hope so."

Campaigning was generally low-key, and the unusual election itself was less of an issue than housing density and taxes.

The village held 12 forums -- six each in English and Spanish -- to let voters know about the new system and to practice voting. It also produced bright yellow T-shirts, tote bags and lawn signs declaring "Your voice, your vote, your village," all part of the education program mandated in the government agreement. Announcements were made on cable TV
    in each language and reminders were sent home in schoolkids' backpacks.

All the materials had to be approved in advance, in English and Spanish versions, by the Department of Justice.

Aaron Conetta said the voter education effort was so thorough he found voting easier than usual.

"It was very different but actually quite simple," he said. "No problem.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

This is setting a very bad precedence. If half of the residents in that town are hispanic and LEGALLY allowed to vote then they should get involved in the political process to elect someone they feel will represent them. I don't get it. One person gets One vote. I think that's fair.

Exclamation The dems will love this

vote early and vote often
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

mojo Guest
    Ok so this November when we all vote we can file a suit and demand the right to cast 6 votes each as the precedence has been set.

My how times have changed! This must be how B.O. got into office.

I've seen ballots that were similar to this on virtually every ballot with which I've voted. "Here are the 13 candidates for <governmental body name here>, which only has 6 seats. You have 6 votes. Indicate the 6 or fewer candidates to whom you wish to give your votes." This is mundane, banal, and unremarkable. It means that the top 6 candidates in the voting tally get those seats, the rest are also-rans. It also means that every person elected to <government body name here> will have a total vote tally not exceeding the total number of voters casting votes.

Here now is where the monkey meets the wrench. This federal judge, whose name I cannot uncover, has ordered a... slight... modification to this voting scheme in the case of the municipal elections in Port Chester, NY on east of White Plains. Instead of being required to cast one vote for each chosen candidate, one-candidate/one-vote, votes there were allowed to accumulate any number of their six votes in any number, 6 or less, of the candidate's "bins". This means if you're a minority candidate, and you can get 1/6 of the voters to all cast all six of their votes for you, you would get more votes than the one candidate who got one vote from each of the other 5/6 of the voters.

Why would there be even a desire, let alone a need, for such an insane modification? Apparently, the population of Port Chester is approaching 50% Latino, while the representation on the town Board of Trustees still distinctly lacks a tan. Since Democratic voting methods is not solving this "problem", it's time for the federal government to monkey around with the last levers of power the people hold, those in the voting booths.

And why is it an issue that these 50% of the population of Port Chester which is Latino can't gain representation on the BoT? It might be that they're not nearly 50% of those 13 candidates for the BoT seats. NOOOO. Can't be that. Maybe it's the fact that more than 50% of those Latinos in Port Chester are ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, AND SO, LEGALLY PROHIBITTED FROM CASTING VOTES FOR ANY PUBLIC OFFICES!!!!!!!!

Yeah. I think that's it.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    vote early and vote often
    I was about to post the exact same thing.

Seems that people all over the place are catching on to our SC voting process.
    It is amazing that supposedly intelligent people still think that the 1964 Civil Rights Act was a good thing. It is destroying our country by allowing special interest groups to rule everything our ancestors worked so hard to protect.