Legislation to Shutdown Internet in an "Emergency" - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Legislation to Shutdown Internet in an "Emergency"

Exclamation Failed Gov't regulation bids

The phone Co. At&t finally trust busted by Reagan

The power grid Govt' regulated until the 80's now being reformed into the smart grid to allow outside control of energy conservation and usage

Gun registration in Canada (still a North American venture ...just not ours...)

AMTRAK...need I say more???

These are examples of Govt' regulation that needed fixin and Uncle Ronnie helped us out a lot!

Today, We have Govt' control of all radio and television (The emergency broadcasting network is Govt' control at the flip of a switch...beep. beep, beep)

We have Govt' control of cellular phone towers...Try to get a signal anywhere near Nellis during selected parts of the flying day...not happening

NASA...why has it taken so long for the privatization of space...tell me that is not a govt' run monopoly

The FCC outright determines who gets what frequencies and why with no if ands or buts.

Even campaign commercials are limited as to who can pay for them and why (and this is not and infringement of free speech and free enterprise?)

We need to hang on to every freedom we have good bad or indifferent and take back the ones we can.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Exclamation Senate panel approves kill switch plan

Techworld
    Obama Internet kill switch plan approved by US Senate
    President could get power to turn off Internet
    Obama Internet kill switch plan approved by US Senate - Techworld.com
    By Grant Gross | Published: 11:02 GMT, 25 June 10

A US Senate committee has approved a wide-ranging cybersecurity bill that some critics have suggested would give the US president the authority to shut down parts of the Internet during a cyberattack.

Senator Joe Lieberman and other bill sponsors have refuted the charges that the Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act gives the president an Internet "kill switch." Instead, the bill puts limits on the powers the president already has to cause "the closing of any facility or stations for wire communication" in a time of war, as described in the Communications Act of 1934, they said in a breakdown of the bill published on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee website.

The committee unanimously approved an amended version of the legislation by voice vote Thursday, a committee spokeswoman said. The bill next moves to the Senate floor for a vote, which has not yet been scheduled.

The bill, introduced earlier this month, would establish a White House Office for Cyberspace Policy and a National Center for Cybersecurity and Communications, which would work with private US companies to create cybersecurity requirements for the electrical grid, telecommunications networks and other critical infrastructure.

The bill also would allow the US president to take emergency actions to protect critical parts of the Internet, including ordering owners of critical infrastructure to implement emergency response plans, during a cyber-emergency. The president would need congressional approval to extend a national cyber-emergency beyond 120 days under an amendment to the legislation approved by the committee.

The legislation would give the US Department of Homeland Security authority that it does not now have to respond to cyber-attacks, Lieberman, a Connecticut independent, said earlier this month.

"Our responsibility for cyber defence goes well beyond the public sector because so much of cyberspace is owned and operated by the private sector," he said. "The Department of Homeland Security has actually shown that vulnerabilities in key private sector networks like utilities and communications could bring our economy down for a period of time if attacked or commandeered by a foreign power or cyber terrorists."

Other sponsors of the bill are Senators Susan Collins, a Maine Republican, and Tom Carper, a Delaware Democrat.

One critic said Thursday that the bill will hurt the nation's security, not help it. Security products operate in a competitive market that works best without heavy government intervention, said Wayne Crews, vice president for policy and director of technology studies at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, an anti-regulation think tank.

"Policymakers should reject such proposals to centralize cyber security risk management," Crews said in an e-mail. "The Internet that will evolve if government can resort to a 'kill switch' will be vastly different from, and inferior to, the safer one that will emerge otherwise."

Cybersecurity technologies and services thrive on competition, he added. "The unmistakable tenor of the cybersecurity discussion today is that of government steering while the market rows," he said. "To be sure, law enforcement has a crucial role in punishing intrusions on private networks and infrastructure. But government must coexist with, rather than crowd out, private sector security technologies."

On Wednesday, 24 privacy and civil liberties groups sent a letter raising concerns about the legislation to the sponsors. The bill gives the new National Center for Cybersecurity and Communications "significant authority" over critical infrastructure, but doesn't define what critical infrastructure is covered, the letter said.

Without a definition of critical infrastructure there are concerns that "it includes elements of the Internet that Americans rely on every day to engage in free speech and to access information," said the letter, signed by the Center for Democracy and Technology, the American Civil Liberties Union, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and other groups.

"Changes are needed to ensure that cybersecurity measures do not unnecessarily infringe on free speech, privacy, and other civil liberties interests," the letter added.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    ... the Kill Switch Bill...

Gotta love that editorial approach with the leading titles. Too bad you guys don't know anything about network security or the Internet, and get all your opinions from the political extremist entertainment sites.

But festus these facts you are giving us might require some of us to pull our heads out of the sand or what ever place we might have them inserted.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    But festus these facts you are giving us ...

7. I'm not going to bother reading the bill or anything in this thread because it's virtually impossible to "shut down the Internet." The web is a tangled mess of computers around the world, and they would need access to God knows how many supernodes to achieve this. Theoretically possible, yes. But in the real world, not a chance in hell.

Exclamation You guys aren't looking for the weak link

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    I'm not going to bother reading the bill or anything in this thread because it's virtually impossible to "shut down the Internet." The web is a tangled mess of computers around the world, and they would need access to God knows how many supernodes to achieve this. Theoretically possible, yes. But in the real world, not a chance in hell.
    Kill the cables that send the info and you have killed the net.
    Kill the power to a region and you have killed the net in that region.
    Force new software on all the search engine companies and you have crippled the net to a hobble.

A few months ago there was an article about the NSA, google and microsoft. it had to do with security issues but it was not clear if thse security issues were internal or external to the users.

If you start looking at the puzzle pieces this ain't rocket surgery.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

9. Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Force new software on all the search engine companies and you have crippled the net to a hobble.

A few months ago there was an article about the NSA, google and microsoft. it had to do with security issues but it was not clear if thse security issues were internal or external to the users.

If you start looking at the puzzle pieces this ain't rocket surgery.
    And I'm sure countries around the world will be absolutely thrilled to "shut down power in regions" and "kill the cables" as a favor to the US Government. And there're dozens of more search engines out there than just Google, Bing, and Yahoo, and many of them operate in countries that hate America.

I call FUD on this one. You should consider joining a conspiracy theory forum for the lulz.

Hey midnight: I am not a technowiz but I agree with you that probably an internet shutdown is not really possible. Like an iceberg, my problem with this garbage is not what you see on top of the water with the mix of massive amounts of words in the bill, it is the unseen larger half that is below the water where a little "tweek" of one paragraph of word here and there changes this authority into complete control of all forms of information and information technology. I'll bet, like the healthcare, that none of these legislators have even read and comprehend everything in the bill. This piece of garbage in the whitehouse, his looney bin of advisors and a dem congress that just "goes along for the ride" is taking us to germany 1930 and Josef Goebbels. For the most part the press are already in his pocket with their nanny panny reporting that does nothing to call him to task for his countless exercises in sleazy backdoor politics and avoidance of the Constittution. Call me paranoid or whatever, I despise this admin, I hate them with a vengence, I do not trust anything they do or say and I want my country back.

That's quite an imagination you have there, Festus:
    Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    ...it is the unseen larger half that is below the water where a little "tweek" of one paragraph of word here and there changes this authority...
    That would be the "uncertainty" or middle portion of the (F)ear, (U)ncertainty and (D)oubt routine.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast