Gov. Perry Issues Proclamation for Day of Prayer in the State of Texas

Thread: Gov. Perry Issues Proclamation for Day of Prayer in the State of Texas

Post Gov. Perry Issues Proclamation for Day of Prayer in the State of Texas

Just thought I would let you know it is still o.k. to pray in Texas.

Office of the Governor Rick Perry - Proclamations - Gov. Perry Issues Proclamation for Day of Prayer in the State of Texas

Gov. Perry Issues Proclamation for Day of Prayer in the State of Texas
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 | Austin, Texas

TO ALL TO WHOM THESE PRESENTS SHALL COME:

WHEREAS, the Gulf Coast has suffered an unfortunate loss of life due to the explosion and sinking of the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig, which continues to threaten livelihoods, economies and precious coastal wildlife ecosystems with devastation and destruction; and

WHEREAS, throughout our history, both as a state and as individuals, Texans have been strengthened, assured and lifted up through prayer; and

WHEREAS, prayer provides peace and guidance in times of crisis and conflict, and reminds us of the comforting assurance of God's love for us all; and

WHEREAS, it seems right and fitting that the people of Texas should join with their fellow Gulf Coast residents and others across the country and around the world to thank God, seek his wisdom for ourselves and our leaders, and ask him for his merciful intervention and healing in this time of crisis;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, RICK PERRY, Governor of Texas, under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and Statutes of the State of Texas, do hereby proclaim Sunday, June 27, 2010, as a Day of Prayer in the State of Texas. I urge Texans of all faiths and religious traditions to offer prayers on that day for the healing of individuals, the rebuilding of communities and the restoration of entire Gulf Coast environment in the wake of this disaster.

IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto signed my name and have officially caused the Seal of State to be affixed at my Office in the City of Austin, Texas, this the 23rd day of June, 2010.

RICK PERRY
    Governor of Texas
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Well, praise the Lord! Texas "rocks" for "the Rock of Ages".
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

I'm sorry to hear that the people of Texas needed a government proclamation to engage in prayer. Thankfully the governor fixed that for you all.

Up here in liberal land we just go ahead and pray whenever we want to do so. No government directives needed.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that the people of Texas needed a government proclamation to engage in prayer. Thankfully the governor fixed that for you all.

Up here in liberal land we just go ahead and pray whenever we want to do so. No government directives needed.
    We pray when ever we want to also but we know down here that our government will not prohibit the free exercise thereof also. The proclamation just affirms that our politicians recognize the hand of God in the affairs of man unlike the liberals of other states.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

God bless Texas!

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    We pray when ever we want to also but we know down here that our government will not prohibit the free exercise thereof also.
    That's very interesting.

Does the Texas Supreme Court court have a galley for visitors to watch oral argument?

If so, what do you think would happen if you stood up during oral argument of a case and started praying out loud? Would the court stop the current proceeding to allow you to finish?

Or do you think maybe you would be ordered to stop, and if you did not stop, you would be taken away by security?

Maybe the government of Texas prohibits prayer just like any other state would, not withstanding its governor's proclamation. I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    We pray when ever we want to also but we know down here that our government will not prohibit the free exercise thereof also. The proclamation just affirms that our politicians recognize the hand of God in the affairs of man unlike the liberals of other states.
    you mean kind of like our founding fathers??... hmmm
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    you mean kind of like our founding fathers??... hmmm

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    ... Texas prohibits prayer just like any other state.
    So... I'm confused. Are you happy that the Governor of the Great State of TEXAS acknowledges both privately and publicly his desire to pray for those who have been harmed by the Deep Water Horizon incident?! Or, would you prefer that Gov. Perry be more like other politicians who do everything possible in their power to deemphasize the need for acknowledging GOD in prayer?!

Or, do you just not like GOD and prayer… or, TEXAS?!

As for me and my TEXAS household, we serve the LORD and prayerfully seek HIM in all things! I am grateful for the fact that so many of my TEXAN neighbors across the state do the same! There are a great many TEXAS politicians who are still willing to speak up about their belief in GOD and of their need for HIS guidance in their daily lives. And, I’m glad our Governor made a public proclamation… a call to all TEXANS… to pray for their neighbors who are being so negatively impacted by the mess in the Gulf.

The overwhelming majority in TEXAS still believe in GOD, Family, TEXAS, GUNS, and in the goodness of the United States! We believe in freedom and liberty and the need to stand up for what is right. The Governor’s proclamation was simply an extension of these values.

I'm sorry if you were offended by the public call to prayer. If it makes you feel better... you can refuse to participate in praying along with us for our friends and neighbors in need along the Gulf States.

Otherwise, I would echo the Governors call to prayer—and encourage you to pray with us friend! Let’s all continue to keep the folks of the Gulf States in our prayers. Let’s also pray for BP and all the honest, hard-working men and women who make their living working for BP, as the company struggles to come up with ways to fix the problem. And, let’s all continue to pray for the United States—that Americans will continue with eyes wide open to be witness to the epic failure of the current Administration—that these observations will lead to a better comprehension of how devastating the liberal and progressive agendas have impacted our American heritage as well as our ability to defend freedom and liberty both at home and abroad.

GOD bless TEXAS! GOD bless America!
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

Good, we need more prayer then we do need of this hope and change.