SCOTUS affirms 2A extends to all 50 States - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SCOTUS affirms 2A extends to all 50 States

Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    IMHO I don't believe that the ruling will have any bearing on the right to carry. It will not change states to become "shall issue" states. I see many lawsuits and a lot of time before we see any change. I will not see a "national right to carry" in my lifetime.

"The Second Amendment IS my Concealed Carry Permit" - Ted Nugent ...

No where in the Second Amendment or founding documents does it state "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" Except...
    IF your zip code is x, your standing at y, or the type or class of weapon you have or desire to have is z...
    OR if said weapon is carried openly or concealed...

I think all it will take is a couple of individuals with clean records in a couple different states in cities like say San Francisco to be denied a permit (thus giving them a case to challenge to SCOTUS) and Nationwide Constitutional Carry like Arizona NOW has at the state level will become a issue before SCOTUS that will be resolved in our favor if the Conservatives are still in majority at such a time...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

JSDinTexas Guest
    I have always admired the Supreme Court. And today that admiration has been increased.

2nd? 14th? One has to read the history of these two amendments from the early 1800s, and especially the 14th, to see the trend of the country's thinking from century to century. Especially the changes in the 14th after the Civil War when it was introduced (Sorry, war between the states for some).

This reaffirmation of the 2nd is influenced by the 14th because the 14th has been reinterpreted starting post 1865 - and that's a good thing.

Now if Texas will go the same route as AZ we're in business.

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    I have always admired the Supreme Court. And today that admiration has been increased.

2nd? 14th? One has to read the history of these two amendments from the early 1800s, and especially the 14th, to see the trend of the country's thinking from century to century. Especially the changes in the 14th after the Civil War when it was introduced (Sorry, war between the states for some).

This reaffirmation of the 2nd is influenced by the 14th because the 14th has been reinterpreted starting post 1865 - and that's a good thing.

Now if Texas will go the same route as AZ we're in business.
    In my view they muddied the waters by incorporating the 2nd within the the due process clause of the 14th; they made it ambiguous ...
    Everything in the 14th is already covered by the first 8 Amendments...
    The 14th being a re-construction amendment really fubar'd the intent of the founding framers...

They should have held that it stands on its own...

ITS FUNDAMENTAL ... SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED ... PERIOD...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

It still boggles my mind how jubilant and happy we are when the SCOTUS "Re-Affirms" our Rights. It's a if we're free again. MY God, how far down the path have we gone to be this happy over a reaffirmation.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska444 View Post
    The trouble with this decision is that at 5:4, we are only one vote, one person away from losing our second amendment rights to bear arms. It you listen to the opposing views, they really hate the idea of an armed populace. One vote the other way is all that stands between them and our freedoms. Don't forget, you never know what you are getting when you put a judge in for life, some of those that were supposed to be conservative turned out to be left wing liberals. Elections do matter.
    Amen, Alaska. Yes, it passed by a 5 to 4 vote. But, when you really think about it that means that FOUR of our Supreme Court Justices are anti-2nd Amendment. That's very troubling and speaks poorly for the future of our Constitution!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    It still boggles my mind how jubilant and happy we are when the SCOTUS "Re-Affirms" our Rights. It's a if we're free again. MY God, how far down the path have we gone to be this happy over a reaffirmation.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)
    I made exactly the same comment on one of the motorcycle forums I frequent.
    This ruling really doesn't change that much for most of us. About 40n States already have some form of permit issue for carry, be it concealed or open. This ruling only said you can OWN a gun for HOME PROTECTION. I already had that right ( I mean outside of the Constitution ). My State doesn't prohibit you from owning a gun or carrying one. To carry however, you need to apply for, and obtain, a permit.

Now it is BIG for States like Illinois and Wisconsin and Hawaii.

For anybody else that did not get a warm and fuzzy about today's ruling...

The Brady Bunch on Today's SCOTUS Ruling...

Statement of Paul Helmke on U.S. Supreme Court Ruling

Jun 28, 2010
    Washington, D.C. – Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Center and Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, issued the following statement:

“We can expect two things as a result of today's decision by the U.S. Supreme Court in McDonald v. Chicago: the gun lobby and gun criminals will use it to try to strike down gun laws, and those legal challenges will continue to fail.

“We are pleased that the Court reaffirmed its language in District of Columbia v. Heller that the Second Amendment individual right to possess guns in the home for self-defense does not prevent our elected representatives from enacting common-sense gun laws to protect our communities from gun violence. We are reassured that the Court has rejected, once again, the gun lobby argument that its ‘any gun, for anybody, anywhere’ agenda is protected by the Constitution. The Court again recognized that the Second Amendment allows for reasonable restrictions on firearms, including who can have them and under what conditions, where they can be taken, and what types of firearms are available.

“Chicago can amend its gun laws to comply with this ruling while continuing to have strong, comprehensive and Constitutional gun laws, just as Washington D.C. has done. After the Heller decision, at least 240 legal challenges have been brought to existing gun laws, nearly all of which have been summarily dismissed. There is nothing in today’s decision that should prevent any state or local government from successfully defending, maintaining, or passing, sensible, strong gun laws.”

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence : Media

Interview: Brady Campaign President Paul Helmke on Why the Gun Ruling Isn't So Bad - Politics - The Atlantic

Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence

http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/final_brief.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post
    The Spin on the lame stream media is now turning to regulation comparing handguns to hazardous materials.
    The main difference is the right to own hazardous materials is not a constitutional right.

This is not a victory for gun owners, but a victory for all Americans.

Simply put The Bill of Rights applies to all of us. (or the Constitution is the Constitution)

Local State and all other politicians that take an oath to uphold and protect the Constitution of the United States are now swearing to defend your right to keep and bear arms.
    If they want to do something different then they don't belong in office.
    Our elected officials thumb their noses at this oath now and no one seems to care or hold them accountable. They keep re-electing them. This will change nothing until we the people hold them accountable.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Brady Bunch
    common-sense gun laws -Read that, Laws that allow only criminals to have guns.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

It's a great day when justice prevails. Why did it take 200+ years to affirm that we have an inalienable right to keep and bear arms??? My only hope is that this strikes down every draconian gun law on the bboks! Hey Bloomberg.....I will soon walk through NYC uninhibited by your punitive gun laws!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast