SCOTUS affirms 2A extends to all 50 States - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: SCOTUS affirms 2A extends to all 50 States

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I'm a bit confused by what you meant.

The court incorporated the second amendment into the 14th in order to make the 2nd applicable to the states.

However, the court did so with a very limited holding, stating that it was only incorporating the second amendment right to own a handgun for self defense in one's home. Future cases may expand on that right, but for now it is limited to owning a handgun on one's premises for self protection.

Put another way, Ted Nugent's 2nd Amendment permit is only good in his home - everywhere else the state can regulate his possession of a weapon if it chooses to do so until a court says otherwise.
    Sorry about the confusion. I hadn't read the details and I heard some radio ramblings and opinions that the ruling could be weakened in the long term if it was more about the fourteenth amendment than the second amendment. In trying to keep things simple, my view is that the second amendment stands on its own, because it's about individual rights and putting individual rights first, though more liberal minded folk want to change that...apparently 4 out of 9! I guess I would say that if the second amendment applies to individuals, than it automatically applies to states, but I realize that it's more complicated than that.
    Welcome to the world of hair-splitting!

Thank you for the clarification.

At last something good to read. Thanks Red Hat, I needed a happy boost...

Pure common sense...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    In my view they muddied the waters by incorporating the 2nd within the the due process clause of the 14th; they made it ambiguous ...
    Everything in the 14th is already covered by the first 8 Amendments...
    The 14th being a re-construction amendment really fubar'd the intent of the founding framers...

They should have held that it stands on its own...

ITS FUNDAMENTAL ... SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED ... PERIOD...
    That's what I thought....
    That whole protections from the federal government and not form the states thing is a bit of a hair-splitter for me.
    The older I get, the more I live for simplification!

AHMEN! I agree, come November we need to clean some clocks! A friend had some nice T's made with our flag announcing "We Will Remember in November!"....mine's 5 sizes too large but I wear it anyways!

The Spin by Anti Gun is incredible

The Courts decision today shows "we can work to keep guns out of the
    hands of criminals and terrorists while at the same time respecting
    the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens," said Mayor
    Michael Bloomberg in a statement. "I will continue to collaborate
    with mayors across the country to pursue common-sense, constitutional
    approaches to protecting public safety.

Jackie Hilly, Executive Director of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence,
    told NBCNewYork she's pleased with the decision.

"I think it affirms New York law," Hilly said. "All the other
    amendments have reasonable restrictions on them. So I actually really
    like the Heller decision and the McDonald decision because they put
    the Second Amendment in the context of all the other
    amendments
    ...people from the gun lobby like to promote the idea that
    you have an absolute or god-given right to possess a gun. That's
    clearly not true; your right can be restricted."

What part don't they understand?

Here is how spin is done:
    Let just suppose that Harry Reid had an ancestor named Remus. Remus robbed trains and was caught by the Pinkerton Detectives. He was sent to prison in 1883 and later escaped. He was then publicly hung on a gallows for horse theft back in the wild west.
    This is how it would be spun -

"Remus Reid was a famous cowboy in the Montana Territory . His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad. Beginning in 1883, he devotedseveral years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad. In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889,Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honor when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed."

"Congress has no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." - Tench Coxe 1789

The First Fundamental Principle of Constitutional Interpretation: Your Rights Don't Come From Government...
    Oath Keepers: CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC 101: YOUR RIGHTS DON’T COME FROM GOVERNMENT

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Two days after scotus ruling Gun Ban Daley plans to ignore it...

Chicago: City plans to limit guns per home

Mayor Richard Daley's administration is making plans to limit the number of handguns allowed in Chicago homes as it grapples with a U.S. Supreme Court opinion gutting the city's long standing gun ban. Each qualified gun owner in a home could have only one handgun under a new ordinance being drawn up that could be heard by the City Council Police and Fire Committee as soon as Thursday, officials said. The ordinance would require handgun owners to register their weapons with the Police Department and keep them secured inside the home.

Read About It: The Chicago Tribune

Posted: 6/30/2010 9:50:16 AM

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post

Chicago: City plans to limit guns per home

Mayor Richard Daley's administration is making plans to limit the number of handguns allowed in Chicago homes as it grapples with a U.S. Supreme Court opinion gutting the city's long standing gun ban. Each qualified gun owner in a home could have only one handgun under a new ordinance being drawn up that could be heard by the City Council Police and Fire Committee as soon as Thursday, officials said. The ordinance would require handgun owners to register their weapons with the Police Department and keep them secured inside the home.

Read About It: The Chicago Tribune

Posted: 6/30/2010 9:50:16 AM

That's unconstitutional too. You can't limit the purchase of something that is on the free market, I don't think. I can't think of an example right now where you can't buy but ONE of something. If it's legal to own a gun in the home, you can own one for every room if you want. Plus, who says the guns need to be bought in Chicago? Chicago won't know, nor is any of their business, how many guns you have in your home. Buy them at gun shows or in another state, or online.

You know, the more I think about this decision, and what I read, they DID make mention that the right to Keep( a gun in your home for personal protection) and BEAR 9carry a gun) was fundamental. Nobody else has remarked on this, and just followed the news media's remarks about what the decision "REALLY SAID". Well, I READ IT!! And it REALLY SAID the right to KEEP and BEAR arms is fundamental. The way I read it, we can also carry.

Did anybody else see what I saw in the decision? Did you interpret it differently than I? You see, the NRA doesn't REALLY want this ENTIRE issue to go away. If it did, and I think it did in this case, the NRA would not be needed, and all those big salary jobs would be lost. But I think this decision just put them out of a job.

WHAT SAY YOU?

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    You know, the more I think about this decision, and what I read, they DID make mention that the right to Keep( a gun in your home for personal protection) and BEAR 9carry a gun) was fundamental. Nobody else has remarked on this, and just followed the news media's remarks about what the decision "REALLY SAID". Well, I READ IT!! And it REALLY SAID the right to KEEP and BEAR arms is fundamental. The way I read it, we can also carry.

Did anybody else see what I saw in the decision? Did you interpret it differently than I? You see, the NRA doesn't REALLY want this ENTIRE issue to go away. If it did, and I think it did in this case, the NRA would not be needed, and all those big salary jobs would be lost. But I think this decision just put them out of a job.

WHAT SAY YOU?
    Yes, I am with you. The NRA is slowly moving into the BO camp whether they understand that or not. I saw an interview on PBS News Hour a couple of days ago to respond to the new ruling, with Mr Pierre, head of NRA. He was the most inarticulate, slogan mumbling, ineffective and irrelevant, participant there.
    And Yes, the language of the ruling repeats, "kept in your home for personal protection."
    The 2nd is not secure, at least not yet.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast