SCOTUS affirms 2A extends to all 50 States - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SCOTUS affirms 2A extends to all 50 States

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post

Chicago: City plans to limit guns per home

Mayor Richard Daley's administration is making plans to limit the number of handguns allowed in Chicago homes as it grapples with a U.S. Supreme Court opinion gutting the city's long standing gun ban. Each qualified gun owner in a home could have only one handgun under a new ordinance being drawn up that could be heard by the City Council Police and Fire Committee as soon as Thursday, officials said. The ordinance would require handgun owners to register their weapons with the Police Department and keep them secured inside the home.

Read About It: The Chicago Tribune

Posted: 6/30/2010 9:50:16 AM

umm yeah...

we still have big fricking issues with the "Unabridged Second Amendment"...
    being recognized...

Considering the extremely narrow scope of the Heller & McDonald rulings by SCOTUS...

Both D.C. & Chicago Mayors & Cities are basically putting their noses up at the ruling and saying we can do anything short of ban revolvers in your home according to the wording of your ruling...

soooo...

IF you are wealthy enough & live long enough to get through the draconian approval and licensing process; you can have a revolver in your home...
    NICE...

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/firea...1986-fopa.html

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/firea...fiscation.html

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/firea...pen-watch.html

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/firea...-criteria.html

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/firea...amendment.html

80 million & counting firearms in the hands of 270 million & counting law-abiding U.S. Citizens...

AND between the NRA, GOA, SAF, JPFO there is less then 5 million members...
    PRETTY FRICKING SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS...

We as firearm owners and supporters of the Unabridged Second Amendment need to step up the the plate and put our money and our time where our mouths are and get other firearms & weapons owners that we know and cross paths with to do the same ...
    Obviously we cannot take it for granted that just because somebody is a firearm or weapon owner that they proactively support the fundamental right...

The Second Amendment Does Not State "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" Except...
    IF your zip code is X...
    OR Your Standing at Y...
    OR the type/class of weapon/firearm you desire to have is Z...
    OR if the weapon/firearm you desire to have is carried openly or concealed...

The First Fundamental Principle of Constitutional Interpretation: Your Rights Don't Come From Government...
    Oath Keepers: CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC 101: YOUR RIGHTS DON’T COME FROM GOVERNMENT

WTFU SHEEPLE !!!

TAKE BACK THE REPUBLIC !!!

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Important Analysis of McDonald Opinion By Gun Owners Of America...

GOA and GOF Praise Gun Rights Victory in the McDonald v. Chicago Case

In a vitally-important gun rights case decided June 28, the U.S. Supreme Court extended the reach of the Second Amendment beyond the federal government to apply also to states, counties, and cities. Gun Owners of America and Gun Owners Foundation filed a scholarly amicus brief in this case, urging the Court to protect all U.S. citizens against any government infringement of the Second Amendment.

Two years ago the Supreme Court decided in District of Columbia v. Heller that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution was violated by a District of Columbia handgun ban. Today, the Court ruled in McDonald v. Chicago that a look-a-like Chicago ban violated the Fourteenth Amendment. By so ruling, the Court held that the right to keep and bear arms secured to an American citizen living in the nation’s capital was equally secured to that citizen in the nation’s third largest city.

The McDonald opinion spent 45 pages reviewing the right to keep and bear arms -- its history, its importance to Americans as the chief safeguard against tyrannical government, and even its significance to the newly freed slaves who were previously being disarmed and abused by southern officials in the mid-to-late-1800s. While gun banners are making a big-to-do about the three sentences of dicta in the opinion which seem to provide them a little wiggle room for some types of gun control in the future, the truth is that they only got three sentences in 45 pages! That would be like celebrating a beautiful field goal in a 70-3 loss in the Super Bowl. It ignores the fact that every single one of their arguments were smacked down by the Court.

Gun Owners of America and Gun Owners Foundation join with other gun rights organizations and advocates to celebrate this next great victory after Heller; yet, the joy of the victory is tempered by the closeness of the vote — five to four in both cases — as well as the tenuous grounds on which McDonald was decided. It appears clear that eternal vigilance will be the price of defending the Second Amendment, as future threats are already forming against our gun rights.

In our amicus brief, GOA/GOF, along with a number of local gun rights organizations and other constitutionally-minded friends, urged the Court to base its decision upon Section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment that prohibits any “State [to] make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States.” Four of the five majority justices declined this invitation, preferring to rely on the Court’s Fourteenth Amendment due process “incorporation” doctrine — an artificial legal doctrine created by federal judges to expand their own power over the states. Only Justice Clarence Thomas agreed with us — that, as a matter of textual and historic fidelity, the due process guarantee was a weak reed upon which to rest so important a right that could be overturned if more anti-gun justices are confirmed to the High Court.

In a stirring opinion — jam-packed with textual and historical analysis — Justice Thomas recounted the freedman’s struggle after the civil war to arm himself against a lawless tyranny that threatened his family’s liberty and property, demonstrating conclusively that the Second Amendment right was among those precious “privileges or immunities” that were now secured to him as a “citizen of the United States” — by the express text of the Fourteenth Amendment.

While Justice Thomas’s four majority colleagues never disagreed with any of his textual and historical analysis, they nevertheless preferred to rest their ruling not on any constitutional text, but on “well established ... case law that most of the provisions of the Bill of Rights apply full force to ... the States” and that, like those rights, the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms was “fundamental to our scheme of ordered liberty” and “‘deeply rooted in the Nation’s history and tradition’” — whatever that may mean to any given justice.

Significantly, neither of the two dissenting justices — Stevens and Breyer — made any attempt whatsoever to attack Justice Thomas’s careful and thorough analysis. Rather, they took aim at the majority use of the Court’s “incorporation” doctrine. To be sure, Justice Scalia, in a brilliant concurring opinion, tore to shreds Justice Stevens’ reinterpretation of the Court’s incorporation formulas, and Justice Alito made short shrift of Justice Breyer’s revisionist views, but the fact remains that a single change on the personnel of the Court can tip the balance against a vigorous Second Amendment right, or one that is susceptible to erosion, or even downright reversal.

While no legal grounds, including anchoring the Second Amendment in the constitutional text of the privileges or immunities clause, can guarantee against future assault by lawless justices, grounding our right to keep and bear arms in the Court’s evolving “case law,” rather than in the original, written Constitution itself, opens the door more widely to justices who are committed to a “living” Constitution that changes with changing times.

Symbolic of the truth that the battle to defend the Second Amendment in the courts continues was the fact that on the same day that the Court handed down its McDonald decision, the Senate Judiciary Committee opened its hearings on President Obama’s nomination of Elena Kagan to the United States Supreme Court. Although the Kagan nomination, if approved, would not immediately change the line-up on Heller and McDonald — as she would replace the consistently anti-gun Justice Stevens — the presence of any foe of the Second Amendment on the Court should be of utmost concern to all gun owners.

Gun Owners of America has been invited by the Senate Judiciary Committee to testify on the Kagan nomination. In preparing that testimony, our lawyers have discovered significant information indicating that Ms. Kagan’s Second Amendment views are guided by emotion, not reason, nor predilection or principle, nor court precedent … and certainly not the constitutional text. We are thus urging our members to oppose this nomination by writing, e-mailing and telephoning their Senators not to approve an appointment that would place our Second Amendment rights in even greater doubt.

GOA and GOF Praise Gun Rights Victory in the McDonald v. Chicago Case

Gun Ban Chicago Mayor Daley Spits In Supreme Courts Face Following McDonald & Proposes New Handgun Ordinance...
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...y-mara-georges

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

New gun control ordinance is passed in Chicago

New gun control ordinance is passed in Chicago

The Chicago City Council on Friday unanimously passed a tough set of restrictions to control the use, sale and even transport of guns in the city. The approval came four days after the U.S. Supreme Court effectively tossed out Chicago's longstanding ban on handguns. Mayor Richard M. Daley introduced the gun restrictions Thursday and aldermen approved the ordinance 45 to 0...

If you live in Illinois... it is time to step up to the plate and FIRE EVERY LAST ONE OF THESE RAT BASTARDS...
    Starting with the ENTIRE CHICAGO CITY COUNCIL AND 2ND GENERATION GUN-BANNING MAYOR RICHARD DALEY...

Spread the word...

The time for closet conservatism is over !

This will be tolerated no longer !

Key provisions of the ordinance:

•Firearm sales will be banned in the city.

•Gun training totaling four hours in a classroom and an hour on a firing range will be required before getting a permit. But firing ranges are banned, so training must be completed outside Chicago.

•To transport a gun, it will have to be "broken down," not immediately accessible, unloaded, and in a firearm case.

•Firearms may be possessed only inside the dwelling. It will be illegal to have a gun in the garage, on the front porch or in the yard. Guns also will not be allowed in hotels, dorms and group-living facilities.

Read the full story at...
    Chicago gun ordinance: City passes tough gun restrictions - chicagotribune.com

Name me one other Constitutionally protected right which requires you to get a license or permit before you can enjoy their exercise.

Is there a License to Speak? Is there a Permit to Publish? No? Then I guess it's not reasonable to require one of our fundamental 2nd Amendment rights.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Still think compromise is the way to approach taking back the Republic?

Chicago is not the only one ignoring SCOTUS Heller & McDonald rulings...

In this weeks news...

West Burlington, Iowa stands by city's gun ban:
    The Hawk Eye

Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) introduced new federal gun bill...
    WASHINGTON - The strong wind that blows against gun-control advocates in Congress is more apparent than ever these days, but Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-Mineola) remains defiant and undeterred.
    On Wednesday McCarthy introduced another federal bill aimed at curbing the spread of illegal guns - this one requiring people to report lost or stolen handguns to police.
    "I am making a statement....

McCarthy says gun bill pushes back at NRA

I am too...

Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy
    Your Fired !!!

Mayor Daley is nuts

"Firearms may be possessed only inside the dwelling. It will be illegal to have a gun in the garage, on the front porch or in the yard. Guns also will not be allowed in hotels, dorms and group-living facilities."

This means I can't sleep with my .357 when sleeping in a Bronzville Motel.

Like hell it does.

"AND between the NRA, GOA, SAF, JPFO there is less then 5 million members...
    PRETTY FRICKING SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS... "

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

Sad State of affairs? Well, yes, but look what it is really saying. We don't trust the NRA or others so-called GUN Friendly organizations to do the work we need done.Therefore, we don't support them with our money anymore. The NRA is a joke as far as I'm concerned. They had a PERFECT time, at McDonald, to ask the Court to knock down all these no carry, no conceal, laws, and let the States decide the few places they didn't want guns carried, like city/county buildings, schools, churches, etc. But NO, they wimped out, and as a result, the ruling, as interpreted, has been looked at like only ownership in the home is OK. I personaly think the ruling said we CAN carry, but there are many that don't see it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    "AND between the NRA, GOA, SAF, JPFO there is less then 5 million members...
    PRETTY FRICKING SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS... "

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

Sad State of affairs? Well, yes, but look what it is really saying. We don't trust the NRA or others so-called GUN Friendly organizations to do the work we need done.Therefore, we don't support them with our money anymore. The NRA is a joke as far as I'm concerned. They had a PERFECT time, at McDonald, to ask the Court to knock down all these no carry, no conceal, laws, and let the States decide the few places they didn't want guns carried, like city/county buildings, schools, churches, etc. But NO, they wimped out, and as a result, the ruling, as interpreted, has been looked at like only ownership in the home is OK. I personaly think the ruling said we CAN carry, but there are many that don't see it that way.
    I am with you, although I think you missed my point you quoted a bit...

let me try to clarify a bit...

I believe it is a sad state of affairs that while we have in excess of now 90 million law-abiding firearms owners in this country in possession of over 300 million firearms; that the combined membership of the biggest pro-second amendment organizations in the country is less then 6% of the law abiding firearms owners !!!

This should be on the top of our personal lists as individual supporters of the Unabridged Second Amendment ...

There is strength in numbers and we have them, we just need to consolidate & unify and coordinate our efforts better...

Just think what 90 million firearm owners IF they all voted could do to a election?

WE ARE THE MAJORITY DEMOGRAPHIC...

Now we need to make each other aware of that fact and put it to good use in the voting booth and our 2nd Amendment Support efforts ...

AND not just with our mouths and keyboards, but our wallets...

P.S. Gun Owners of America "is the only no compromise gun lobby in D.C." - Ron Paul
    http://www.gunowners.org

Keep The Heat On Dirty Harry Reid:
    http://gunowners.org/a071610.htm

44 Reasons & Counting Why Dirty Harry Reid Must Be Defeated !
    http://gunowners.org/is-harry-reid-p...r-anti-gun.htm

" Just think what 90 million firearm owners IF they all voted could do to a election?

WE ARE THE MAJORITY DEMOGRAPHIC...

Now we need to make each other aware of that fact and put it to good use in the voting booth and our 2nd Amendment Support efforts ...

AND not just with our mouths and keyboards, but our wallets... "

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX B N M

I didn't miss your point. I just think we can do the same thing in another way, not that your's won't work. It will, but I don't want to trust the outcomes of the efforts to a Big Group, be it NRA, GOA, or any other organization. I personally have a problem with those big groups. And that problem is..the same one we have with Congress...after a while, the MISSION is secondary to keeping the organization alive...and all the jobs that go with it. The NRA is a PERFECT example of this. Effectively, McDonald could have ended their raison d' tre, and they knew it! That's why they shaded their arguments towards ONLY asking for extension of Heller to the States. ( I still say the Court was trying to tell them it goes WAY past that, but that's another discussion)

Plus, all us conservatives are constantly talking about how we dislike all the lobbyist efforts that interfere with things getting changed, or done correctly, or not using money to influence/buy Congressmen/women. Then the first thing we cry out is "Support the NRA". That's hypocritical!

WE just need to stay in front of our own Senators and Congressional Representatives, on a regular basis, and let them know how we feel...good and bad. If they vote against us on a bill, let them know the word will be spread about their vote, and we will take action at the ballot box. It's an individual initiative that is needed. But there are WAY too many that are too lazy. THAT IS THE REAL PROBLEM!! They would rather just give $35/year and be able to beat their collective chests about how INVOLVED they are in getting things done, when really all they are doing is spending $35 to let someone else do the job they should be doing. And you are right. It is SAD! But it also mirrors the voting % in primary elections. And THAT IS SAD TOO!

My neighbors work as volunteers at the voting precincts. They told me that the voting percentage at the first primary was 6%. It was less at the runoffs. It's only about 20% in the general elections. 100% of the people talk about politics from one side or the other, but only about 20% really do anything, like vote.

I trust GOA & JPFO to act in our best interests...

thus far, they have earned that support...

There is a saying I am fond of which I believe applies here...

"With out organization, there is only confusion"

90 million plus of us cannot be individually attempting to over come the organization that is the Progressive Liberal Democrat Machine...

We must centralize & coordinate our efforts somewhat and one obvious means to that is supporting the likes of GOA & JPFO ...

Obviously, we still as individuals need to do our due diligence and research the actual records vs. the rhetoric of those that wish to represent us at the federal, state and other municipality levels...

This applies whether said representative is Ron Paul or Gun Owners of America or the TEA Party & Tenth Amendment Initiatives ...

Another phrase that should be familiar to all is "United We Stand, Divided We Fall"

"United we stand, Divided we fall" is a phrase that has been used in mottos, from nations and states to songs. The basic concept is that unless the people are united, it is easy to destroy them. This is a counter to the maxim divide and rule...

P.S. Gun Owners of America "is the only no compromise gun lobby in D.C." - Ron Paul
    http://www.gunowners.org

Keep The Heat On Dirty Harry Reid:
    Keep The Heat On Reid!

44 Reasons & Counting Why Dirty Harry Reid Must Be Defeated ! (AND POLL)
    http://gunowners.org/is-harry-reid-p...r-anti-gun.htm

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast