just taught a college student what form of goverment we have - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: just taught a college student what form of goverment we have

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." -- John Adams

Oh my god. Past is prologue. And before they end, they'll outlaw self defense and self-preservation.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Republic v. Democracy
    David Barton - 01/2001
    wrong as usual. I'm not impressed much by evangelical ministers pontificating

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post

Makes us even then. I am not impressed at all by the twisting of the truth by atheists.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Makes us even then. I am not impressed at all by the twisting of the truth by atheists.
    The quote was not mine. It came from the Volokh Conspiracy. Eugene Volokh is a conservative. Besides being a well respected conservative legal scholar and law professor, he graduated from UCLA with a B.S. in math-computer science at age 15. Which means he probably got his GED around age 11. Oh wait, he didn't get a GED. You got me on that count.

And I am never impressed with atheist's defecating... Load of crap..

Democratic Federalist Republic.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

The quote was not mine. It came from the Volokh Conspiracy. Eugene Volokh is a conservative. Besides being a well respected conservative legal scholar and law professor, he graduated from UCLA with a B.S. in math-computer science at age 15. Which means he probably got his GED around age 11. Oh wait, he didn't get a GED. You got me on that count.

The United States of America is actually a federal constitutional republic, which is a political system where the supreme power is held by the citizens who are entitled to vote for officials (such as the president) and representatives (such as senators and members of the House of Representatives) responsible to them (the people).
    Note: A republic is a type of democracy.

Government type: Constitution-based federal republic; strong democratic tradition.

The United States
    is the world's oldest federal constitutional republic.
    First, it is federal because a union composed of fifty partially self-governing states and federal one federal district united by a central ("federal") government. The self-governing status of the component states are constitutionally well-established and may not be altered by a independent decision of the central government.
    Second, the country is a constitutional republic because it is is a state where the head of state (President) and other officials (Legislative Branch: Senate and House of Representatives) are elected as representatives of the people, and must govern according to existing constitutional law
    (The Constitution of The United States) that limits the government's power over citizens.
    Furthermore, in a constitutional republic, the executive, legislative, and judicial powers are separated into distinct branches and the will of the majority of the population is tempered by protections for individual rights so that no individual or group has absolute power (Checks and Balances). The fact that there is a constitutional law limiting the government's power; makes the country constitutional.
    The fact that the head(s) of state (the President, the Head of Congress, and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court) and other officials are chosen by election, rather than inheriting their positions, and that their decisions are subject to judicial review makes the United States republican.

And what I fear the current administration would have us be:
    Communist - a system of government in which the state plans and controls the economy and a single - often authoritarian - party holds power; state controls are imposed with the elimination of private ownership of property or capital while claiming to make progress toward a higher social order in which all goods are equally shared by the people (i.e., a classless society).

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12