State of Virginia vs. Obamacare -- Chapter 1

Thread: State of Virginia vs. Obamacare -- Chapter 1

State of Virginia vs. Obamacare -- Chapter 1

This is an email received today from Ken Cuccinelli, the Attorney General of Virginia

July 1st, 2010

Dear Friends,

Today marked an important landmark in Virginia's case to overturn the individual mandate contained in the recent healthcare bill: the first oral arguments in the case. While most of the arguments are similar to those we have laid out for you in previous emails (link to those arguments: 07110_Health_Care) - there was at least one very interesting development.

Some of you might remember a conversation between the President and George Stephanopoulos back in September of last year where President Obama denied that the healthcare bill was a tax. Here is a segment from that conversation -- view the video: YouTube - George and Obama debate health care taxes

STEPHANOPOULOS: I wanted to check for myself. But your critics say it is a tax increase.

OBAMA: My critics say everything is a tax increase. My critics say that I'm taking over every sector of the economy. You know that. Look, we can have a legitimate debate about whether or not we're going to have an individual mandate or not, but...

STEPHANOPOULOS: But you reject that it's a tax increase?

OBAMA: I absolutely reject that notion.

Well, today, during the first oral arguments on Virginia's healthcare case - Judge Hudson asked the attorneys for the US Government if the healthcare bill was a tax bill or a healthcare bill. The answer they gave was both!

Overall, we are pleased with how the case is proceeding, and we'll continue to update you with its progress. If Virginia's case survives the motion to dismiss, a summary judgment hearing is scheduled for October 18, 2010, at 9:00 a.m. to decide if the federal health care law is unconstitutional. Stay tuned.

That's all for now!

Sincerely,

Ken Cuccinelli, II
    Attorney General of Virginia

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Good and thanks for the post.
    Semper Fi

Great find C.W.M. Seems like business as usual, talking out of both sides of the mouth.

Exclamation One thing about Virginia...

Quote Originally Posted by the duke of essex View Post
    great find c.w.m. Seems like business as usual, talking out of both sides of the mouth.
    va va va vooom...go old dominion go girl go!!!!!!!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

We all need to give support to our AGs who are taking on the Feds over this so called Health Care Bill! They are our first
    line of defense and we need to communicate with them and let them know that we appreciate what they are doing on our
    behalf and fully support them. Way to go CWM!
    Kill them all and let God sort them out!

mojo Guest
    I would love to see every right minded AG in every state not only follow suit, but do it now. Load up the system to overflowing with challenge after challenge and stop this atrocity in its tracks!

since when does the federal goverment have the power to order an individual to purchase a good or service? i would like anyone in washington to show me where that is in the Constitution, Bill of Rights or Declaration of Independence!
    doing what is popular is not always right and doing what is right is not always popular

Quote Originally Posted by oldvet53 View Post
    since when does the federal goverment have the power to order an individual to purchase a good or service? i would like anyone in washington to show me where that is in the Constitution, Bill of Rights or Declaration of Independence!
    We are seeing Congress and the Administration becoming tyrannical in their behavior and motivations. They appear to be completely unconcerned about what the Constitution and Bill of Rights have guaranteed the citizens of the United States of America. But, have you noticed how often they invoke the word "unConstitutional" when it comes to illegals? They are making a very clear statement that votes are more important than the hardworking taxpayers of this nation! Enough! Enough!
    Last edited by Conservative Wife & Mom; 07-03-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by oldvet53 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't every elected official take an oath to protect and uphold the Constitution of the United States when they take office? Does this oath have any teeth or is it just lip service? These people have to be held accountable.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan