Wisconsin DA takes a stand on gun laws after SCOTUS vote

Thread: Wisconsin DA takes a stand on gun laws after SCOTUS vote

Wisconsin DA takes a stand on gun laws after SCOTUS vote

Wis. DA says he won't prosecute some gun laws - Yahoo! News

A Wisconsin prosecutor said he won't enforce a host of state weapons laws after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled this week Americans have a right to own a gun for self-defense.

Jackson County District Attorney Gerald R. Fox said in a statement he will no longer prosecute Wisconsin's prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons, transporting uncased or loaded guns in vehicles, carrying guns in public buildings and taverns and carrying switchblades and butterfly knives. He said the Supreme Court's ruling renders those statutes unconstitutional.

"These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over," Fox wrote in the statement, released this week.

He ended the statement with "Let Freedom Ring."
    Of course the antis are screaming bloody murder about this. Too bad there aren't more principled politicans out there who act on their conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiofan View Post

Of course the antis are screaming bloody murder about this. Too bad there aren't more principled politicans out there who act on their conscience.
    Great to see this! Now if we can just get the other DAs in the anti-gun states to follow suit!

P.S. Stiofan, where are you in the panhandle? PM me, we are trying to get a few of us together for a local shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiofan View Post

I am super happy to see a State Official FINALLY read the Supreme Court ruling CORRECTLY!! He got it right! What he said is EXACTLY what the Court said in it's ruling. The folks that talk about this ruling being ambiuous just aren't reading, or comprehending, the entire text of the ruling.

To further clarify, the Court ruled that we, by the U.S.Constitution, have the "fundamenta;" right to KEEP and BEAR ARMS. They also said that States can still forbid the mentally ill, felons, etc. from owning and carrying a gun. The States can also sill forbid you from carrying into schools, if they choose; also churches, municipal/county buildings.

Therefore, we now have it verified by the Supreme Court that we can KEEP, and BEAR, ARMS. What wasn't mentioned, if their is any ambiguity at all in the ruling, was if States can force you to open carry or conceal carry. That seems to be the only unsettled issue from what I read.

Great -BUT, This could get some citizens in trouble when they go by what ONE DA has sais in Wisconsin. Unfortunately he is not the ONLY DA. What happens when you drive to the adjacent County. Each County and/or City has its own Prosecutor, and the STATE does not prosecute most these offences anyway. Most are charged at the City or County level and the State DA never sees the case. Also this ONE DA will not always be in office. You are only safe when the law is off the books.
    Help your own self - the Government is busy takin' care of itself!
    Retired LEO

Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreek View Post
    Great -BUT, This could get some citizens in trouble when they go by what ONE DA has sais in Wisconsin. Unfortunately he is not the ONLY DA. What happens when you drive to the adjacent County. Each County and/or City has its own Prosecutor, and the STATE does not prosecute most these offences anyway. Most are charged at the City or County level and the State DA never sees the case. Also this ONE DA will not always be in office. You are only safe when the law is off the books.
    OK,excuse me for being slow here, but what's the big deal in Wisconsin anyway. You can carry open there. I like that! Obviously I am missing some of the drawbacks to that policy. What are they?

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    OK,excuse me for being slow here, but what's the big deal in Wisconsin anyway. You can carry open there. I like that! Obviously I am missing some of the drawbacks to that policy. What are they?
    I was refering to the original post which was not about open carry. It refered to the DA not prosecuting CCW, loaded guns in a car or switchblades, all of which are illegal in Wisconsin now. The "open Carry" law does not allow carrying guns loaded in a vehicle. While open carry is great in theory, it is mostly impracticle in today's society. Go ahead and open carry in a movie theater, church or restaurant and see how often you are welcomed to stay. I also don't really want the bad guy to know I have a weapon so is able to prepare ahead of time. The element of surprise has a big benefit to the victim in those situations. Historically, even in the real Old West (not the TV version) persons in town ususually concealed there guns which was easier to do with the large coats and big pockets of the day. CCW is a polite way to exercise my rights without rubbing everyone's nose in it.
    Help your own self - the Government is busy takin' care of itself!
    Retired LEO

Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreek View Post
    I was refering to the original post which was not about open carry. It refered to the DA not prosecuting CCW, loaded guns in a car or switchblades, all of which are illegal in Wisconsin now. The "open Carry" law does not allow carrying guns loaded in a vehicle. While open carry is great in theory, it is mostly impracticle in today's society. Go ahead and open carry in a movie theater, church or restaurant and see how often you are welcomed to stay. I also don't really want the bad guy to know I have a weapon so is able to prepare ahead of time. The element of surprise has a big benefit to the victim in those situations. Historically, even in the real Old West (not the TV version) persons in town ususually concealed there guns which was easier to do with the large coats and big pockets of the day. CCW is a polite way to exercise my rights without rubbing everyone's nose in it.
    Then why don't LEOs conceal, if guns are so scary to folks? I would respectfully ask you to reconsider your stance on that issue. The reason is looks odd now is that for way too long we have not had the opportunity to carry open, by law. Therefore, folks think that when they see a gun, they see a criminal. The ANTI-GUN propaganda has worked, even on a retired Law Enforcement Officer.

Folks need to see law-abiding citizens walking around carrying a gun. They will change their mind about guns when it is common to see them displayed with no resulting problems or incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Then why don't LEOs conceal, if guns are so scary to folks? I would respectfully ask you to reconsider your stance on that issue. The reason is looks odd now is that for way too long we have not had the opportunity to carry open, by law. Therefore, folks think that when they see a gun, they see a criminal. The ANTI-GUN propaganda has worked, even on a retired Law Enforcement Officer.

Folks need to see law-abiding citizens walking around carrying a gun. They will change their mind about guns when it is common to see them displayed with no resulting problems or incidents.
    I'm with Saltcreek on this one, although I would not stand in the way of anyone's rights to OC..

Your question about LEO's is silly.. IF you are in uniform (LEO or Security Guard), you might as well OC, the uniform is enough to make you the 1st target.. People do NOT freak out in general when a LEO is OC because they see them as a symbol of authority and understand that they are professionally trained, this is NOT the case for Joe Sixpack..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    I'm with Saltcreek on this one, although I would not stand in the way of anyone's rights to OC..

Your question about LEO's is silly.. IF you are in uniform (LEO or Security Guard), you might as well OC, the uniform is enough to make you the 1st target.. People do NOT freak out in general when a LEO is OC because they see them as a symbol of authority and understand that they are professionally trained, this is NOT the case for Joe Sixpack..
    No problem. I respect your views. You may be right, and I may be wrong. It's just how I see the issue, that's all. Folks are naturally nervous when they see someone OTHER than a COP carrying, because it's so rare to see. Once they get used to seeing neighbors and business associates openly carrying, they will not be afraid anymore. But I will admit, that takes time.