Michelle Obama Asks NAACP to turn up the pressure on Tea Party
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Obama Asks NAACP to turn up the pressure on Tea Party

Exclamation Michelle Obama Asks NAACP to turn up the pressure on Tea Party

Michelle Obama Visits NAACP on Eve of Tea Party Condemnation - ABC News

First Lady Michelle Obama brought renewed energy to the NAACP today, delivering the keynote speech at the annual convention one day before the nation's largest civil rights group is expected to condemn what it calls racist elements in the Tea Party movement.

The Taxpayer March on DC proceeds down Pennsylvania Avenue towards the Capitol on Saturday, Sept....
    The Taxpayer March on DC proceeds down Pennsylvania Avenue towards the Capitol on Saturday, Sept. 12, 2009. The nation's largest and oldest civil rights organization will vote on the resolution Tuesday during its annual convention in Kansas City, Mo. In addition to jobs and the economy, anti-Tea Party activism has been a large focus of the gathering, a charge that conservative leaders say is driven solely by a political agenda.
    (Bill Clark/Getty Images)The nation's largest and oldest civil rights organization will vote on the resolution Tuesday during its annual convention in Kansas City, Mo.

In her speech, the first lady focused on the issue of childhood obesity and her "Let's Move" initiative, but outside of her remarks, anti-Tea Party activism has been a key focus of the gathering, which conservative leaders say is driven solely by a political agenda.

Tea Party members have used "racial epithets," have verbally abused black members of Congress and threatened them, and protestors have engaged in "explicitly racist behavior" and "displayed signs and posters intended to degrade people of color generally and President Barack Obama specifically," according to the proposed resolution.

"We're deeply concerned about elements that are trying to move the country back, trying to reverse progress that we've made," NAACP spokeswoman Leila McDowell told ABC News. "We are asking that the law-abiding members of the Tea Party repudiate those racist elements, that they recognize the historic and present racist elements that are within the Tea Party movement."

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, in coordination with 170 other groups, including labor unions, is planning a protest march in Washington, D.C., Oct. 10 as the next step in building momentum against the Tea Party.

The "One Nation" march is designed as an antithesis to the Tea Party, and it's about "pulling America together and back to work," McDowell said.

"We see it as a threat to democracy. We see it as a threat to human rights. We certainly see it as a threat to civil rights," McDowell said, adding that the resolution will likely pass when it's voted upon Tuesday.

Supporters of the Tea Party movement have frequently faced charges of racism.

The most notable case is that of Kentucky GOP Senate hopeful Rand Paul, who came under fire in May for criticizing the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Paul said he supports the act and opposes discrimination, but added that the government doesn't have a right to tell private restaurant owners who they can and cannot serve.

"If we want to harbor in on private businesses and their policies, then you have to have the discussion about, 'Do you want to abridge the First Amendment as well,'" Paul said on MSNBC's Rachel Maddow show. "If you decide that restaurants are publicly owned and not privately owned, then do you say that you should have the right to bring your gun into the restaurant, even though the owner of the restaurant says, well, no, we don't want to have guns in here."

In March, Tea Party protesters opposing the health care bill were alleged to have shouted racial slurs at black House members in the halls of Congress, a charge that Tea Party supporters say has not been proven. Liberal blogs have also seized on signs that have appeared in Tea Party protests, comparing President Obama to a monkey.

Tea Party leaders say the charges are misguided and are being fertilized by the left for the sole purpose of gaining political ground.

The Rev. C.L. Bryant, a former president of NAACP's Garland, Texas, chapter who is now a leading Tea Party activist said the idea that the Tea Party is racist or is trying to instigate a racist climate is "simply a lie."

"I have seen posters ... where every president from Reagan to Obama has been called a fascist," Bryant, who serves as a contributor to FreedomWorks, which organizes Tea Party groups, told ABC News. "Why is it that just because we have a black president, we are hyper-sensitive to posters at rallies?"

The NAACP wants to "create a climate where they can say that those on the right are in fact racist and those on the left are their saviors," he added. "This is very much what the liberal agenda is about."

Dale Robertson, a Tea Party activist who runs TeaParty.org and has himself been at the center of a race-related controversy, said the NAACP is merely pandering to the Democratic party.

"I find that the NAACP should be standing against the new Black Panther and their stance and yet instead of doing the right thing, they're doing the wrong thing by attacking people who feel government should be held accountable," Robertson said.
    The Tea Party movement's popularity has been boosted by the likes of Paul and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, but it has yet to find a unified voice or widespread support among Americans.

Twenty-seven percent of Americans support the Tea Party, according to a May ABC News/Washington Post poll, but nearly as many Americans oppose the movement as those who support it.

Related
    Poll: Tea Time for Obama CriticsBlack Tea Party Backers Called 'Traitors'Tea Party Leaders Anxious About ExtremistsAmong registered voters, 15 percent said they would be more likely to support a candidate for Congress who's associated with the Tea Party movement, but 24 percent say they'd be more apt to oppose such a candidate.

The poll also found that 57 percent of people who opposed the Tea Party suspected its members of racial prejudice specifically against Obama. Only 10 percent of Tea Party supporters expressed such a sentiment.

The NAACP, on the other hand, is trying to reenergize momentum within its own ranks. The organization received a big boost from the first lady, who was the keynote speaker at this year's convention.

The first lady's speech focused on childhood obesity and her "Let's Move" initiative designed to promote healthy living and eating for children.

NAACP leaders have individually taken on the Tea Party in the past, but the organization is now trying to build a bigger momentum against the Tea Party, which has emerged as a strong grassroots, albeit fragmented, force across the country.

"We have to close the enthusiasm gap," NAACP president Ben Jealous said in an interview with the Associated Press Friday. "The danger of the Tea Party is that people see them and think about periods in history when groups like them were much more powerful than they are now, and so a lot of what we spend energy doing is explaining to people what reality is, and that the reality is that the majority from 2008 still exists."

ABC News' Gary Langer contributed to this report.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Sounds like the move of desperate people that see their ship sinking. That has been the ploy of the left for a long time. Play the race card.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Not a clue they have. The more they attack the T.E.A. folks the more uninvolved people will become disgusted and finally active.

It's almost like the left is hoping to force a political 'blood bath' at the polls this November.

I hope they're not planning actual violence; they have tried to antagonize people into violence before..
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

At the same time, a...what? Attack? Assault? Confrontation?...such as this may be just what the Tea Party needs to remotivate and gain focus. If the Tea Party weren't a serious consideration, all these people - Obama, Democrats, NAACP, whoever - would be blowing them off and ignoring them. You don't see anyone entertaining serious plans to address the American Communist Party, do you? Non-Players, and unworthy of anyone's attention. The Tea Party should rejoice that they're getting this attention! It only serves to validate their efforts!
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

There is no surprise here. Instead of focusing on the issues at hand here in this fine nation, let's just call all the Tea Party activists racists.

Right... Yea, that WILL get people moving... To the right... and to the polls in NO_vember.

"We're deeply concerned about elements that are trying to move the country back, trying to reverse progress that we've made,"
    Ah Hah!!! Your definition of progress and mine differ greatly, Leila McDowell... Progress is not moving away from God given freedom toward regulated and controlled existence. I am beginning to hate being called a racist by people who are themselves racist. Just because I feel the Tea Party is a step in the right direction, I'm a racist? *********!!!

As far as moving the country back... Yea, we are trying to do just that very thing, if you mean back from the edge.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Not a clue they have. The more they attack the T.E.A. folks the more uninvolved people will become disgusted and finally active.
    +1 Exactly! They think they are stirring up their base but I believe they are stirring up ours.

I am seeing it almost daily, people who have never been political their whole lives are becoming so BECAUSE of the current administration. They are fed up through & through & are demanding action.
    Never before has the government strayed so far from the will of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    I am beginning to hate being called a racist by people who are themselves racist. Just because I feel the Tea Party is a step in the right direction, I'm a racist? *********!!!
    You & me both brother! They call people racist to get them to step in line.

It is a time honored ploy. Throw enough sh** and something just might stick. If it won't stick it can be said to stink so bad it must be true.

They just keep ramping it up...this could get very interesting. Obviously, Tea Party-goers are getting under their skin, or they wouldn't be putting all of this effort into it.

I have been to three tea party events, all of them 2,500+ people, and all of them 100% peaceful. At the one this past April, there was an infiltrator who showed up with "Tea Partiers for Hitler" and a sign with a swastika on it... he was promptly given the attention he deserved and left in under 10 minutes.

It's funny how they can have their marches and rallies, but we can't have ours.... Blood pressure increasing now, signing off

to all,

fwiw, i was THERE & saw/heard what was said by Princess Pelosi, Barney Frank & the rest of the DIMocRAT LIARS.
    (i'm IN the background of some of the TV/press pictures, made at the time/place that Pelosi SAID that "racist & homophobic remarks were made" & saw/heard NOTHING that even vaguely resembled her continual KNOWING, shameless, LIES.)

in point of FACT, almost nodody said ANYTHING to that pack of SELF-important, ARROGANT, FOOLS. = they were IGNORED and/or (quietly) LAUGHED AT, as it was OBVIOUS that their INTENT was to "provoke a confrontation" ====> THEY FAILED in "their mission". =====> that whole bunch, in 2 words, are STUPID & IRRELEVANT.

fwiw, a BOUNTY of 100,000 dollars has been offered for videos that support Pelosi's LIES.- as of today (07/12/2010), NO videos, from either the main-stream press or any amateurs has surfaced.- in fact NOBODY even CLAIMS to have any pictures of "the alleged events".

to all: PLEASE come out to the next TEA PARTY RALLY & SEE for yourself "what we are about"! - you'll find that we are just like most every US citizens: young, middle-aged, old, Black, White, Asian, Latino, AmerIndian, Catholic/Protestant/Jewish/Moslem, male/female, straight/gay, veterans/non veterans, able-bodied/disabled, etc, etc, etc.
    (ONE of the FEW stereo-types, by the media, that is TRUE about the TP is that we tend to be OLDER than the average citizen, as retirees (like me) have MORE time for rallies.)

yours, TN46
    Last edited by texasnative46; 07-13-2010 at 01:36 AM. Reason: stupid grammar mistake - "mea culpa".

Diversionary tactics plain and simple! I have seen nothing but peaceful Tea Party marches and gatherings, can''t say the same for the Pro Amnesty, Pro illegal immigration groups.

CNN Political Producer Shannon Travis(who happens to be Black) reported that african-americans proudly participate in tea party rallies. He traveled along with the Tea Party Express national tour: "Together, we beamed out images of the anger and the optimism, profiled African-Americans who are proud to be in the Tea Party's minority and showed activists stirred by "God Bless America" or amused by a young rapper who strung together rhymes against the president and Democrats." Reporter's notebook: What really happens at Tea Party rallies - CNN.com

They are trying to scare african-americans from going anywhere near the tea party and from voting republican. But it's good to see some "non-sheeple" out there standing on their own two feet, thinking for themselves and not just "falling inline"!

Remember when Jon Voight stated: " You know of the real courage are are the African Americans who were part of Tea Party movement they have to stand up to people calling them traitors. And that its interest in there's 37 African Americans now running for congress in the Senate for this if the November election. And and those are the people to me that have courage. Well as do you Jon Voight thank you very much." Jon Voight on Huckabee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast