Driving Through Illinois with a gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving Through Illinois with a gun

1. Driving Through Illinois with a gun

Im heading west in a couple weeks. Does anyone know if it is ok for me to drive through IL with a firearm in my trunk?
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

If it is unloaded and in a case you should be ok. For not having CC/OC the transport laws are pretty liberal. Stay out of the Chicago area as they are not part of the state of Illinois and have their own laws.

4. Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    If it is unloaded and in a case you should be ok. For not having CC/OC the transport laws are pretty liberal. Stay out of the Chicago area as they are not part of the state of Illinois and have their own laws.
    Thanks Phil.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

I just travled across Ill. and will be going back across this week end. I did it under the provisions of United States Code, Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44, Section 926A, Interstate transportation of firearms. It is below. I was comfortable traveling in this manner but you must decide for your self.

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person
    who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting,
    shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a
    firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully
    possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
    firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being
    transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the
    passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in
    the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's
    compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked
    container other than the glove compartment or console.

Have done so many times. I transport correctly (most of the time!) and watch my speed. Then, I look forward to seeing Illinois fade into the distance in my rearview mirror.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

I can not quote the law but it is supposed to be legal to carry a gun and loaded mag. in the glovebox or center console. Will go to ISRA site and see if there is a hard reference.

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    I can not quote the law but it is supposed to be legal to carry a gun and loaded mag. in the glovebox or center console. Will go to ISRA site and see if there is a hard reference.
    In the land of Lincoln? Umm, I don't think so.

Found several peripheral references to the legality but no hard reference. This and fanny pack carry are some of the progress made in the last few years.

If someone wants to look further the Ill. State Rifle Assoc. has a very detailed site.

Several years ago Terry Gainer Director of Ill. State Police ruled that guns, ammo and mags. had to be in separate cases and behind 3 locks. No legal way to transport in a P/U as you could reach the cases if in the cap. This was struck down by the courts. Unfortunately we still hear this spouted by the uninformed.

My personal transport style is gun in case mags. and ammo in a range bag. No confirmation on legality as we have never been stopped by LE and searched.

As stated in earlier post since Daileyville is not part of the state and do not always abide by OUR laws.

Finally found the reference that I was looking for www.ISP.STATE.IL.US/docs/transgun0-000.pdf
    Cut me some slack on the exact address and just google the above pamplet, or just search Ill gun transport laws.

There is a section expaining the city situation.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by phill; 07-14-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Addition

Firearm must be unloaded and in a case. Ammunition must be located where it is not easily accessible. I transport my carry pistol unloaded in the center console of my van, and carry loaded mags in the glove box until I'm out of my home state, Illinois. A recent court ruling verified that a closed center console constituted a closed case in Illinois. Firearm in the trunk will be no problem as long as it's in a case, and the ammo is located not in the same case.

Hopefully the firearm possession and transport laws will be revised to something more sensible when the Chicago dictator is voted out of office at the next election.

How about that the link even works, amazing as that is the first time.(pats self on the back)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast