Once Staunch 2A Sopporter Inroduces Anti Gun Bill - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Once Staunch 2A Sopporter Inroduces Anti Gun Bill

My assumption is that this type of legislation can become an open door for more distinct anti-gun legislation.[/QUOTE]

This is the big issue. Most responsible gun owners would call to file a report anyway. Also what would you filing a stolen gun report do to stop the criminal from using his new weapon in a crime anyway? Can anyone explain what having this on report will actuall do to reduce gun crimes?

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dvnfly View Post
    My assumption is that this type of legislation can become an open door for more distinct anti-gun legislation.
    This is the big issue. Most responsible gun owners would call to file a report anyway. Also what would you filing a stolen gun report do to stop the criminal from using his new weapon in a crime anyway? Can anyone explain what having this on report will actuall do to reduce gun crimes?[/QUOTE]

Reporting a stolen gun doesn't do anything to stop crime. At best it reduces the amount of time LEOs will spend talking to YOU when a gun registered to you is used in a crime.Don't know what reporting does for those of us who don't have to register our firearms.

First of all Carolyn McCarthy has never been pro 2A never will be, she a moonbat whos only claim to fame is her husband was shot. It's her mission to abolish gun rights any way she can.
    http://www.change.org/petitions/self...tate-residents
    NRA Life Member, SCOPE,SAF Join up!

It is clear that if you have any of your guns stolen you are irresponsible! Therefore you can not be trusted with any guns and you should have ANY REMAINING GUNS CONFISCATED and be prevented from purchasing any new guns. You have already demonstrated that you did not properly secure your guns with trigger lock and all so that if they were stolen they could not be used by those who happen upon your gun.
    If police were the only ones that had guns we wouldn't have to worry about such problems.
    It's a good thing that we have such concerned reps like McCarthy to save us from ourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    It is clear that if you have any of your guns stolen you are irresponsible! Therefore you can not be trusted with any guns and you should have ANY REMAINING GUNS CONFISCATED and be prevented from purchasing any new guns. You have already demonstrated that you did not properly secure your guns with trigger lock and all so that if they were stolen they could not be used by those who happen upon your gun.
    If police were the only ones that had guns we wouldn't have to worry about such problems.
    It's a good thing that we have such concerned reps like McCarthy to save us from ourselves!
    Wow CapGun, I hope that's the sarcasm it sounds like.

Unfortunately 'common sense' isn't always common. I don't necessarily agree with the govment getting any deeper into my personal affairs and local LEO's souldn't have to bow down to the fed but once a gun goes missing the LEO's need all the 'Heads up!' they can get.

mojo Guest
    It will also give them the ammunition to classify you as an "irresponsible gun owner" that perhaps shouldnt be allowed to own/carry a gun period. I mean if you cant keep the gun hidden and away from a buglar etc!! just one more way for the anti's to get a little tighter grip on your rights.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    It will also give them the ammunition to classify you as an "irresponsible gun owner" that perhaps shouldnt be allowed to own/carry a gun period. I mean if you cant keep the gun hidden and away from a buglar etc!! just one more way for the anti's to get a little tighter grip on your rights.
    There are a lot of assumptions going on here.
    First let as few people as possible know that you do have guns. Why? Good question. Because if anyone knows and wants to steal them they are going to search until they find them!
    Next >>>> > > So you are responsible and you leave your guns in a safe. All the time, most of the time, when you are not home or away for a few days???
    Does that mean you check your safe and inventory your collection every time you are away or leave your house? I don't! That means if someone got into my safe (don't ask me how, I don't leave the combo taped to the safe door; it doesn't matter how they get in without blowing the thing up).
    That means that days or longer could go by and I wouldn't know if any were missing or when they were stolen. So I go to the "authorities" and tell them guns are missing but don't know exactly when. Do I lie and say they are missing as of a few hours ago or when I last saw them...two weeks ago. If I say that they were missing as of a few hours ago but they were used in a crime last week then I am suspect. If I tell the truth I still might be suspect in a crime but will also face a huge fine and possible jail time.
    If I have been found responsible enough to have a carry permit then extend the same trust that I would and I do believe the rest of us here that know and appreciate the RTKBA which in reality is TPTKBA (the PRIVILEGE to keep and bear arms...just the way it is in most places in reality) would do the right thing and report the theft as soon as possible!
    Don't need anymore "lawful"??? INTRUSIONS!

This is nothing more that a way to make a legal gun owner a criminal in addition to being a victim.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Is this bill really anti 2A? It only requires reporting lost or stolen guns something a truly responsible gun owner would do anyway. While I don't agree with the extent of punishment allowed I'm kind of on the border about this one. Opinions?

New Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy Introduces Legislation Requiring Lost and Stolen Gun Reporting
    "A responsible gun owner would never lose a gun, or have one stolen, without reporting it to the authorities," said Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "
    Coming from the biggest anti in the Country that gives me a warm & fuzzy feeling all over...

H.R. 5736 would make it a federal crime if a law-abiding gun owner fails to report, within 72 hours, the loss or theft of a legally possessed firearm...

... The time limit would not allow for any mitigating circumstances, such as travel time or the inability to contact authorities. For example, a hunter who loses a firearm during a wilderness emergency could face criminal penalties, even if it takes more than 72 hours just to return to civilization...

...Perhaps the most outrageous element of H.R. 5736 is that it specifically exempts criminals from its impact. The bill clearly states that it would apply to a person who "lawfully possesses or owns" a firearm...

I am really confused about the title of this thread Ron...

Once Staunch 2A Supporter?

Carolyn McCarthy?

NOT IN OUR LIFETIMES...

Am I missing something?

google Carolyn McCarthy on ANY pro-gun site...
    NRA, GOA, SAF, JPFO ...

For Starters...

McCarthy says gun bill pushes back at NRA

The strong wind that blows against gun control advocates in Congress is more apparent than ever these days, but Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D Mineola) remains defiant and undeterred. Yesterday McCarthy introduced another federal bill aimed at curbing the spread of illegal guns this one requiring people to report lost or stolen handguns to police. "This is a push back to the NRA", "I am making a statement..." McCarthy said.

Read About It: Newsday

Posted: 7/15/2010 9:44:12 AM

H.R.5736 - Firearm Owners Responsibility Act...
    NRA-ILA :: The "Blame and Punish Gun Owners Act"
    H.R. 5736: Firearm Owners Responsibility Act (GovTrack.us)

Is this like the so-called Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986? which contained the first de facto gun ban in U.S. History...
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/firea...1986-fopa.html

The First Fundamental Principle of Constitutional Interpretation: Your Rights Don't Come From Government
    Oath Keepers: CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC 101: YOUR RIGHTS DONíT COME FROM GOVERNMENT

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast